VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Anyone tried scanning airbag module 6Q0-909-605-A?

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  byros 
#1 ·
New to board...My airbag warning light has been locked in for a while. I just got my OBD Tool and went to scan my airbag control module but got the disclaimer that I could foul up my module.
Has anyone scanned one of these modules successfully? How badly can I damage it if I scan it?
Thanks to all-

#3 ·
Re: Anyone tried scanning airbag module 6Q0-909-605-A? (Tornado Red Russ)

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-c...rbags
Also, Uwe said that with the newest beta release of vag-com, they have minimized the possibility of causing a foul up during scanning. He did not say that it can't or won't happen, but just said that they have lowered the risk a bit. But only he can chime in with his guru opinion.

#4 ·
Re: Anyone tried scanning airbag module 6Q0-909-605-A? (1.infiniT)

My air bag light came on after replacing the cruise control switch,went ahead and took the chance with vag ,reset the fault and all is well.I did have the module in question.This was before the new vag release.Take the chance and reset your code and get the annoying light out of your eyes.

#9 ·
Re: (archimense)

Chaps, I wondered if you could post the "colour-code" or "index" of the airbag controller units you've successfully worked on please? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if I'm safe to do the same as you with VAG-COM. Mine has the index number "03".
Many thanks in advance.
Duncan

#10 ·
Airbag module 6q0-909-605-A & VCDS Lite 1.0

I know this is an ancient thread, but rather than opening a new one, since this thread has the proper context I'd rather reply to it,
back in 2004 I hit a big pothole at night and the airbag light came on, it stayed that way forever.

Forward in time to 2017, one day while turning the ignition on, the ABS yellow warning suddenly became lit, I decided to repair & restore the old bug,
took the car to the VW stealership to scan and if possible clear both ABS & Airbag codes, they flat out refused to even scan the car
saying I should first pay $ 150 USD, leave the car with them so they would inform me at a later date the result of their "comprehensive" diagnosis and the total repair cost,
claiming that ABS & Airbag lights in the dash are usually the most complicated, time consuming, and expensive issues to troubleshoot & repair according to them.

Yeah well I refused.... I resurrected my old Windows 95 Thinkpad with VCDS lite 1.0 and an ancient serial port OBDII cable bought from ECS Tuning ages ago,
an auto scan detected the ABS fault, that turned out to be a simple green fuse on top of the battery that just needed cleaning and re-seating,
cleared the ABS code drove it for a few days and had no problems, except for the Airbag light that was still on since 2004.

Through the years I never scanned the airbag module since VCDS gave me a TON of warnings about defective airbag control modules in 2000 and 2001 model years, being a really old car I eventually decided to take the risk and scanned it a couple of weeks ago, it turns out I also had the infamous 6Q0-909-605-A airbag module, but VCDS lite 1.0 was successfully able to access, scan, and clear the airbag code, I have driven it since with no issues whatsoever.

Hopefully it will save someone some $ instead of fattening the stealership's wallet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.