How much does to cost to replace an air conditioning unit?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

How much does to cost to replace an air conditioning unit?

any idea what it would cost for a new a/c unit and installation? i believe its a 2 ton unit. its the thing that sits behind your house with the refridgerant lines running to and from it.

Re: How much does to cost to replace an air conditioning unit? (jdircksen)

i'm sure rockhead will chime in shortly...

Quote, originally posted by jdircksen »
      any idea what it would cost for a new a/c unit and installation? i believe its a 2 ton unit. its the thing that sits behind your house with the refridgerant lines running to and from it.

Since no other bites... you're speaking of the condensor/compressor, this thing that sits behind your house. Or do you mean a whole A/C system? A 2-ton condensor might run you less than $1000 I would hope depending on brand, unless you buy from a contractor who will mark the price up. It's just a swap of the old one for new, I can't imagine it being more than a few hundred dollars to drop it in place and recharge with refrigerant. Of course it's impossible to give exact numbers withouth knowing the what, where, and why.

PJ

"What the heckeblende?"
      "See this gasket, I have no confidence in this gasket!"
      "Would you like a bag for your bag made of bags?"
      "It's not too expensive, you're too cheap"
      "Ya'll don't know what it's like, being male, middle class and white!"

Re: How much does to cost to replace an air conditioning unit? (machschnell)

Quote, originally posted by machschnell »
      It's just a swap of the old one for new, I can't imagine it being more than a few hundred dollars to drop it in place and recharge with refrigerant.

Ahem. A 2-ton condensor COSTS the contractor anywhere from $400 to $2000, depending on the make, model, refrigerant, and his relationship with the wholesaler. Expect 25-50% markup on the equipment!

Expect to pay four to six hours of labor at the going hourly rate (near $90) plus materials (pipe, filter/drier, electrical bits, condensor pad, etc), PLUS markup.

I used to do straight condensor replacements with Carrier equipment all summer long for about $2800 each on average.

Cary

'13 Sierra Denali 2500 CC D/A
      '11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

Forum Rules

What's wrong with the old unit?

Re: How much does to cost to replace an air conditioning unit? (scirocco16vforreal)

my idiot roommate ran into it while drunk:

after it gets replaced, the challenge will be getting him to pay for it. i predict a visit to small claims court in my future

Ouch. For you, I'd do it for the cost of the unit + $400. Take me 3-4 hours. If you do it sooner rather then later while it's still cool, a guy might give you a break since it's slower. Wait till the first heat wave, forget about it. You might even consider asking the guy to throw you a few bones for the old unit. The compressor and fan motor are still good and some folks would actually buy used parts because they're, well, cheap. It's straightforward, just make sure the guy evacuates it well and installs a liquid line filter/drier. My phone is already ringing; in the mid 80's today.

Re: How much does to cost to replace an air conditioning unit? (scirocco16vforreal)

I too was thinking this unit might be salvagable. The landlord is having the unit replaced, so it would be up to them to talk to the installer to try to get some money for it. But since the landlord isn't paying (the idiot who hit it will be), I'm sure they won't care about getting some money for it. I might consider just telling the installer to leave the unit here for us to sell, but it might just be a hassle.

The current unit is not a very good brand. I looked it up, and I've seen replacement units for $500-600 new.

actually I just found the unit for $369 and $445 (both plus shipping). It is a Goodman CKL24-1F.

hopefully the landlord doesn't replace this cheapo with a high end one and charge us for their upgrade.

Man, your roommates suck. I remember your post about breaking the lease. Best of luck getting out of there in one peice.