VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

'03 Passat W8: Torque Converter and Cam Adjuster Problem in last 10 days

152K views 155 replies 49 participants last post by  BIG DUB 
#1 ·
I've been reading this forum for years as I own an '03 Passat W8. Up until two weeks ago, this car ran like a top.
I had heard about torque converter and cam adjuster issues on this forum, but, never had experienced it in the 95K miles I've owned this car (got it new).
After a routine oil change (religiously kept to the maintenance schedule), a CEL code popped up that was translated to a Torque Converter service for ~$2.8K. Always one to hold cars unless it is financially no longer viable, I decided after consultation with the service manager and the mechanic to do this service.
Upon pulling into their garage, the car began a slight vibration (just slight) and another CEL code popped up, but, I did not have a reader available to see what the code was (dealer had cleared the previous one). I asked the dealer to check the code and consult with me once they reported to me what that code was. They never did.
After 5 days, I received a call that the car is ready, but, the CEL code that popped up was translated to a cam adjuster issue and would cost another $6.5K-$7K to fix. Feeling "bad", they decided not to charge me for the torque converter service and I limped home. They car now vibrates 10x as hard and spews black smoke.
I was told that the cats will fail once they fill up with carbon, so, this car is a total loss. So, I decided to take them to court.
Last Friday, I got a call from the dealer (service mgr) and they said that they are going to ask VW corporate to fix the car completely (for free) so that I can at least become a "semi-satisfied" customer. I said "We'll see".
My question to those of you in the forum is the following:
* has the dealer ever tried to do something like this to you
* were they successful in getting them to do the service?
* was it VW corporate techs that fixed it?
* did they car work like it did when you brought the car in to them in the beginning?
Thanks!
Dean

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.