VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

OT: Slot cars and Radio Control cars

236K views 4K replies 66 participants last post by  sweatyworker 
#1 ·
Ok, come out of the woodwork slot-racing peeps.
Oldest Little Tank is turning eight in October and has a yearning for a slot car set (Yes! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif )
So the question is - What brand?
Things to consider:
- Little Tanks = 3 boys so this track has to be tough and be scalable
- not interested in choosing a brand that is manfactured by German Monks to precise detail and costs $2000 per car
The obvious answer, I thought, was Scalextric but wanted to make sure before I spend the first few dollars that will end up being a few thousand $$$ over the next 10 years.
Thanks.

Modified by Tank Engine at 10:49 AM 9-2-2008

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (Tank Engine)

Used to be a track near my mums old place.
I had a womp womp.
Any one know what I'm talking about?
Front wheels were conical with o-ring tyres, orange sponge rears, highly wound motor. I think the track was 8 or 10 lanes wide.
I had a step-brother that had a scaleletrix track in the garage, it took up most of the place. He had full on mountains, bridges etc, all built up on tressel (SP) tables. I was only 10yo, he was 18-19 or so and I was only really allowed to watch. Had all handpainted cars.
Was so good.

I'll get my boy a track one day. We go into Hobbyco and check it all out every now and then.
Scalextric is the go
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
EDIT just googled womp womp and found a pic.

mine even had 2 small rods tacked along in a few spots as chassis stiffening, they went from the front in a "V" to the sides right before the back wheels and holes where the body clips sit.

Modified by vwlatino at 12:18 PM 9-2-2008

#6 ·
get some hot rare olde school ones imho

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Scalext...wItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SCALEXT...wItem
baaap baaaap
I had a setup based on suzuka as a kid on a massive table it was elite. Had landscaped stuff and all the little men and the lap counters and stands and all sortsa ****, old man spent thousands on it voer the years... and i cant find a single photo of it anywhere haha

Modified by Ricky Roma at 7:37 PM 9-1-2008

#7 ·

Do the slot car tracks that you can visit and pay to use still exist? It could work out to be a better option if the novelty wears off...? The setups are better than anything you can put together on the loungeroom floor too.
Then again, I guess it's not like your kids can just go there at their own free will on their own

#8 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (IML337)

There used to be a coin op raceway in Perth called Strombeckers. You had to have the wheel turned correctly to get juice to the car. The setup was massive and old school 50's style. It allegedly still exists somewhere. Downstairs they had first gen video games like Asteroids and Lunar Lander.
I had a Scalextic set that would have been bought early 80's. I amalgamated it with another guys set in a garage he had and then his ex wife came and repossessed it my gear included
It had a Black Wolf-racing F1 car and some other thing. I always lusted after the set that had Silver and Gold 930 turbos in it.
That being said the set was a maintenance nightmare with the brushes always wearing out. I probably spent more time fiddling with it to get it going than actually playing with it.

#11 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (Ricky Roma)

Quote, originally posted by Ricky Roma »
he needs to use bigger fonts in his ad tho

I like the fact that the Amiga is used as a selling point. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Good info guys keep it coming.
I always find that whenever I start a "Something for my kids" thread all you b@stards get all misty-eyed about your youth. hahahaha

#14 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (sweatyworker)

This was the Black F1 car in my set:

The Red Martini Racing Brabham. The horror, a childs toy with booze sponsorship

The Gold Porsche, I forgot they had working lights so state of the art:

Whatever you do don't look at the other stuff he has you won't be able to resist
Hint - Mexico

#15 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (sweatyworker)

Quote, originally posted by sweatyworker »

Whatever you do don't look at the other stuff he has you won't be able to resist
Hint - Mexico

I was already 'thinking' about augmenting the set with some Ford Rallye Sport goodness.

#16 ·

When I was 8, I had all sorts of radio controlled car. That's what little Tank needs! I started with Nikko stuff, then moved on to Tamiya and then Kyosho and then all sorts of more advanced stuff. When OlieWAY grows up, I will buy him any radio control car he wants (because daddy wants to play them haha).

#17 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (WAY)

Quote, originally posted by WAY »
When I was 8, I had all sorts of radio controlled car. That's what little Tank needs! I started with Nikko stuff, then moved on to Tamiya and then Kyosho and then all sorts of more advanced stuff. When OlieWAY grows up, I will buy him any radio control car he wants (because daddy wants to play them haha).

Only the other day I saw this cab, and got all nostalgic. I may head out to the store that sells them and buy some stuff
Hopefully Mammy posts some pics of his Tamiya collection in another thread - he has some wicked old classics.
I also remember when I had Slot cars as a kid, it was obviously my dads choice of gift as he was more excited about them than we were haha

#18 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (WAY)

Quote, originally posted by WAY »

Wise words Way. This is also on little Tank's radar.
Having aboys only household makes for great presents for Dad.

#19 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (IML337)

Quote, originally posted by IML337 »

Hopefully Mammy posts some pics of his Tamiya collection in another thread - he has some wicked old classics.

I was waiting for Mammy to chime in at some stage.
He has a reputation to maintain for the best collector of serious toys.....

#23 ·
Re: OT: Slot Car Set? (minigolf)

I saw a chap one day, down at little manly cove (or beach?) he had a full size remote control speed boat and was standing on the boat ramp controlling it.
I bought my son a tamiya car, well I bought it for us. He watched me build it and he drives it for about 1 min each go
on full steering lock and full throttle as well, he can hardly hold the controller on his own.
Actually his older sister was more into it at first.

#25 ·

Is the Harris Street motor Museum still operating?
If so, make your way there and check out their massive slot car set-up.
I used to go there with my mate and his kids. Geeky fun. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.