ginster swaps an odometer (56k wait-wha? go get another brownie)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

ginster swaps an odometer (56k wait-wha? go get another brownie)

greets scirocco peeps!
      so after 3229.1 faithful miles being recorded over my recent cincy excursion, my ohnometer decides to start working sporadically.
      i do not like this. for several reasons:
      - i like to track my miles for maintenance intervals
      - i like to track my miles for fuel economy calculations
      - i like to track my miles to know how "old" my car is
      lemmee explain some background.
      i noticed recently that when i got into the car in the p.m. after work that my miles weren't ticking over as they should be. this was after sitting in the hot hot florida sun all afternoon, mind you.
      yet...
      when i drove the car in the cooler evening or at night, my mileage was faithfully being recorded again...what gives?
      i hypothesized that i had some odo gear slippage...and it was accentuated by the effects of the intense afternoon sun/heat. some gears/shafts were slipping...and it was due to excess heat/warpage issues.
      so i did what any sciroccist would do next...raided my stash of parts...and sourced about 3 good clusters to see what we could come up with. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      i decided to go with a unit that was gifted to me a couple years ago by a tech at another dealership that i know. it was marked '87 scirocco'...

it only "showed" 2710 miles elapsed. but was it onehundredthousand + 2710....200 +2710?

i had already pillaged this cluster before, when searching for a new(er) printed circuit foil. it was therefore partially dismantled...

all i had to do really was remove these guys and pull the speedo head out of my donor cluster.
      oh...and for those that don't know the basics of removing a cluster.. see here .
      with the speedo head out of the cluster, i was able to test my drive gear shafts...the metal gear on the main shaft was indeed slipping, allowing my odo to remain motionless.
      back to the donor speedo...
      one has to remove the needle before we can remove the gauge face. i cover the delicate face of the gauge with tissue/cloth...

and prise up gently @ the center of the needle w/ a fork for leverage...

^*be VERY careful here*^
      the needle "should" 'pop' off nicely after a little resistance is felt...
      i have personally seen and had needles that were STUCK (randall?) to the point that getting them off seriously risked damage to the rest of the cluster, what with the prising and pulling and wrenching and such...

PROCEED WITH CAUTION
      hopefully your needle comes off easily...

gotta love the cow fork...

remove the 2 screws to either side of the speedo needle...

and the face comes off...

since this odometer passed the stripped shaft test and had a solidly mounted silver gear already i opted to rewind the clock to zero miles. i did this manually while watching tv earlier tonight...took about 35 mins to wind 2710 miles back to zero...

using the above pic as reference: my slippage was due to the silver gear (to the right) slipping on the shaft that runs through the number wheels and connects to the red gear (on the left).
      sometimes it'll be the other way around with the red gear spinning.
      an easy check is to block up the red gear with your fingertip and try to move the silver gear with the blade of a s/driver. if it moves you can either replace the whole unit as i'm doing, or do the repair outlined in the link i posted above.
      again with the silver gear...

install your o/pressure printed circuit board (not shown) and then secure the gauge face with 2 screws...

to properly align the speedo needle you locate the hash-mark on the edge of the gauge face below the needle rest peg...and point the needle on it as you gently press the needle down onto the shaft.
      once it's in place you g-e-n-t-l-y flex the needle up and over the rest peg and let it fall back into place...should be good to go. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

^alignment tick @ bottom center of pic.^
      as we like to say here in the scirocco forum..."assembly is the reverse of removal."
      and don't forget that durn speedo cable, either!
      with the cluster back in place and all powered up, short test drive...clock not set.

thing works as it should. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      i'll be fully convinced of my fix after a couple hot afternoons in the sun to see if the problem recurs...you can expect updates if there need to be any.

clock set...and my reminder over the upshift indicator lite.

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      i good vibes... and sciroccos.
      Quote Originally Posted by sciroccojim
      Yes. Follow the adjustment procedure in the Bentley. Works like "magic."

Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      That's just how we roll.

Re: ginster swaps an odometer (ginster86roc)

this is a really cool picture..at least i find it really cool. minus the napkin. I like it lol. one of those close up car parts pics..catch what im getting at? lol yeah...
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Great how-to, as usual Carl. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Nice pictures too. Nice and sharp.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

great info carl. you always document and photograph everything so well

Re: (mcdecontrol)

Nice job, Carl! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I need to fix my odometer as well. It has been slipping for a while.
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Philadelphia, PA

I notice you have your highbeam indicator light matching your car now.
      Scirocco'd

Re: (scirocco*joe)

i've put a drop of super glue on the point of slipping before
      (guess it wont come apart now)
      unless the platic gear was cracked, then two teeth were too far apart to keep turning, with a crack
      i noticed it likes to slip whenever there's a bunch of 0000 coming up
      it's harder to turn all those 9999
      i used to reset my trip right at 1000 so everything was 0000 @ once
      but that started my trip to slip for the first time it had to turn 9 9999
      so now i reset my trippo .2 miles after 0000
      to keep the peak load down on the notorious sliping trip

Ginster, thanks for asking me to get another Brownie, but the film for them is NLA anyway. And besides, I'd KILL for 56k speed....

(PS...any news on the luggage sweetums? )

Re: ginster swaps an odometer (punchbug)

Nice write-up!
      The speedometer on my Mk1 wobbles >60mph and reads 5-10 mph too fast.
      I got another speedo out of another Mk1, but the odometer reads a few thousand miles more. I figured I'd drive this one till the mileage on the two clusters matches, then swap them out.
      'Not sure how long it'll take to cover the few thousand miles differece...Maybe I could change the mileage on the new cluster to match the current mileage?
      Work: it works, ibtches.

Re: ginster swaps an odometer (echassin)

Quote, originally posted by echassin »
      Nice write-up!
      I got another speedo out of another Mk1, but the odometer reads a few thousand miles more. I figured I'd drive this one till the mileage on the two clusters matches, then swap them out.
      'Not sure how long it'll take to cover the few thousand miles differece...Maybe I could change the mileage on the new cluster to match the current mileage?

Well, how long is your driveway? It'll take a lot of trips in and out of the garage to cover a few thousand miles.
      Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      Quote, originally posted by echassin »
      Nice write-up!

Well, how long is your driveway? It'll take a lot of trips in and out of the garage to cover a few thousand miles.

I didn't realize that E's ball-busting over the Mk1 has enjoyed such longevity.
      no one cares what you think in real life...
      how do you figure the internet makes it any better.

This exact thing happened to me yesterday and today. Looks like I'll be following your writeup.. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DiezNutz View Post

I didn't realize that E's ball-busting over the Mk1 has enjoyed such longevity.
      You dug deep into the catacombs to find this one.
      Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      You dug deep into the catacombs to find this one.

is that a little stalk-creepy ?
      Wanted:Cirrus gray PS fender for S2 (one can dream) 1) Check your stash 2)Let me know
      wanted: Vanagon carat or wolfburg springs (89-91)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      The engine does not need oil, it runs on awesomeness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      And coyotes are actually pretty cool to get along with if you don't mess with 'em.