Mwerks Project 335d- Part 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge

Mwerks Project 335d- Part 2

Spring in Chicago is a notoriously short season; and even though summer has now decided to trounce upon us with its ruthless heat and humidity, at least our dreadfully long winter is a distant memory. That wasn't the case when our 2009 BMW 335d showed up, however. Almost hard to believe that five months have past already since its arrival.
      Nevertheless, twenty weeks and nearly 10,000 of our own miles have been logged on the 335d, and in that short time it's made an indelible impression on most of the MWerks staff. Most of it is good...FULL ARTICLE WITH GALLERY

Re: Mwerks Project 335d- Part 2 (Bryan@mwerks)

The new fueling problem I've discovered--these new diesels, BMW, Audi, and so on, have metal plates in the filler cap to prevent someone accidentally putting in gasoline. Gas pump nozzles are slightly smaller in diameter than those of diesel pumps, so the plate only opens up for that certain size. On a trip through northern Wisconsin this weekend, I encountered multiple stations using gas nozzles on diesel pumps. As such, I couldn't put the right fuel in because of the wrong equipment at the station. Also, many pumps have the heavy truck nozzles, which are extra big and also don't fit in normal cars. Just can't win.
      kilometermagazine.com -- swedespeed.com -- vwvortex.com --mwerks.com -- fourtitude.com -- turbonines.com

Re: Mwerks Project 335d- Part 2 (stu@vmg)

Quote, originally posted by stu@vmg »
      Also, many pumps have the heavy truck nozzles, which are extra big and also don't fit in normal cars. Just can't win.

I've been seeing these all over Missouri, and not just at designated truck areas. Many stations have pumps that are clearly NOT for semis, but will not fit in a new diesel car. I have encountered at least 3 different nozzle sizes, and 2 of them are too big.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

FV-QR

The biggest drawback to diesels (besides the often higher initial purchase price and the potential to run low on urea at an inopportune moment) is the fact that refueling them can be a drag for the many reasons you've already mentioned. Plus most diesel pumps in America are filthy dirty gross.
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC90 - 2010 Volvo XC70 - 1991 Mazda Miata :: 2000 Aprilia RS50 - 1972 Honda CB350
      Past: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 - 2013 Volkswagen GTI - 2007 BMW 335i - 1988 BMW 635CSi - 1987 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1984 BMW 633CSi :: 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 - 1983 Yamaha YZ80

Re: FV-QR (freedomgli)

Quote, originally posted by freedomgli »
      Plus most diesel pumps in America are filthy dirty gross.

I wonder if this is a regional thing, because I keep reading it on the Internet, but it doesn't jive with my own experiences. Sometimes there is a dark spot on the ground that is basically dry, but that's it.

Re: FV-QR (Art Vandelay)

Quote, originally posted by Art Vandelay »
      I wonder if this is a regional thing, because I keep reading it on the Internet, but it doesn't jive with my own experiences. Sometimes there is a dark spot on the ground that is basically dry, but that's it.

I've found this to be the case as well (dirty pumps). There is usually all sorts of muck and mire in and around the pump handle itself.
      History | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4

Re: FV-QR (Art Vandelay)

I believe thats because diesel doesn't evaporate like gasoline so stains & spills remain.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Maybe it's a US thing or maybe it's a truck-stop thing, but at the two Shell stations and one Sunoco station near my house where I normally fill up, the diesel pump area is as clean as anywhere else in the filling station. And they have the right size nozzles.

No free plastic gloves at your average Diesel pump in the US?

Re: (Qaabus)

Quote, originally posted by Qaabus »

I can't fathom why that would be necessary, but apparently I'm in the minority...

In NJ the gas attendants do the filling.. Fill it up with diesel please..

Holy stuff.
      BMW just released info on a new and improved 3.0 TT diesel and 8 speed auto (not sure if its meant for 335d), but the new diesel is..
      up to 9% more efficient....
      307hp/442 torque.
      The updated engine now matches the petrol’s HP output of 306 hp with peak torque of 600 Newton-metres/442 lb-ft at just 1,500 rpm – 17 more than before.
      http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009...amics/

Modified by amdmaxx at 9:07 PM 6-23-2009

Re: (amdmaxx)

Those are some impressive numbers!

Re: Mwerks Project 335d- Part 2 (stu@vmg)

Quote, originally posted by stu@vmg »
      The new fueling problem I've discovered--these new diesels, BMW, Audi, and so on, have metal plates in the filler cap to prevent someone accidentally putting in gasoline. Gas pump nozzles are slightly smaller in diameter than those of diesel pumps, so the plate only opens up for that certain size. On a trip through northern Wisconsin this weekend, I encountered multiple stations using gas nozzles on diesel pumps. As such, I couldn't put the right fuel in because of the wrong equipment at the station. Also, many pumps have the heavy truck nozzles, which are extra big and also don't fit in normal cars. Just can't win.

BMW provides an adapter in the 335d that allows for the use of the heavy truck nozzles with the fuel fill door. It kinda snaps in and tricks the safety catches that must be pressed on the filler (these catches don't go in with the smaller gasoline nozzles, thus helping to prevent putting the wrong fuel in)

Re: Mwerks Project 335d- Part 2 (SleeperPrelude)

Quote, originally posted by SleeperPrelude »
      BMW provides an adapter in the 335d that allows for the use of the heavy truck nozzles with the fuel fill door. It kinda snaps in and tricks the safety catches that must be pressed on the filler (these catches don't go in with the smaller gasoline nozzles, thus helping to prevent putting the wrong fuel in)

Is this specific to the BMW filler tube? I want something like this for my TDI.

Re: (GoFaster)

Quote, originally posted by GoFaster »
      Maybe it's a US thing or maybe it's a truck-stop thing, but at the two Shell stations and one Sunoco station near my house where I normally fill up, the diesel pump area is as clean as anywhere else in the filling station. And they have the right size nozzles.
      yea, its the same here. Semi trucks typically go to cardlock bulk stations. I go there sometimes too because fuel is cheaper. But usually I go to a regular pump. The cleanliness depends entirely on the fueling station. If the employees are lazy, then the handles will be coated in diesel because it doesn't evaporate, like someone already stated.
      But why are we even talking about this? I've never had any issues with filling my car with diesel. How is it any different than using a gasoline pump after some guy who just adjusted his package with his bare hands? I almost always use the facilities and clean up when I am getting fuel. Even when I drive a gas car.

Re: (Art Vandelay)

Quote, originally posted by Qaabus »

I can't fathom why that would be necessary, but apparently I'm in the minority...

I've seen those before. Basically the diesel pumps remain "oily" all the time if they are 1) used by careless patrons and 2) not kept clean by conscientious filling station operators. In my experience, including four years of Golf TDI ownership, the diesel pumps are poorly kept and carelessly used. Wintertime and rain are the worst conditions, inevitably bringing diesel residue into the car on your shoes.

Re: (amdmaxx)

Quote, originally posted by amdmaxx »
      Holy stuff.
      BMW just released info on a new and improved 3.0 TT diesel and 8 speed auto (not sure if its meant for 335d), but the new diesel is..
      up to 9% more efficient....
      307hp/442 torque.
      The updated engine now matches the petrol’s HP output of 306 hp with peak torque of 600 Newton-metres/442 lb-ft at just 1,500 rpm – 17 more than before.
      http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009...amics/
      Modified by amdmaxx at 9:07 PM 6-23-2009

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm almost certain the N54 is also getting an update and going to put out 330+hp.

Re: (Fritz27)

And I thought I read that this new diesel motor won't be coming to the US just yet. The current one was just introduced.

Re: (Art Vandelay)

some guys don't want to muss up their manicure.
      i have had the 'dirty' pump problem on occassion over the past near 6 yrs of TDI ownership. my experience with dirty diesel pumps has been that the rest of the station was dirty and unkempt as well... not just the diesel pump.
      i do see the 'dirty diesel pump' more often at truckstop stations. i think that they see more traffic, more people in a hurry, more commericial/landscrapers being careless about their fillup practices.
      the regular (not truck stop) stations that i use in the 2-3 miles around my house are always clean... with no more dirty pump mechanisms on the diesel then on the gas. i have both gas and diesel vehicles and typically fill at the same stations, so i do have a point of reference for my situation.
      as for the weird pump sizing issues. never run into that anywhere in Washington, Oregon or California.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Re: (Fritz27)

Not to rain on your parade but:
      There is already 326hp version of N54.
      This topic is about diesel 335d..
      See torque numbers next.
      Quote, originally posted by Fritz27 »
      Not to rain on your parade, but I'm almost certain the N54 is also getting an update and going to put out 330+hp.

Re: (kptaylor)

You heard correct.
      Its not certified for US yet, probably will need that blue urea, etc..
      Quote, originally posted by kptaylor »
      And I thought I read that this new diesel motor won't be coming to the US just yet. The current one was just introduced.

Re: Mwerks Project 335d- Part 2 (Art Vandelay)

Is this specific to the BMW filler tube? I want something like this for my TDI.

Well, BMW provides it for our cars, but I imagine other brands probably have something similar. Basically , since all diesel filler nozzles are 24mm I think, and gasoline ones are 21mm, your car should still have a 24mm slot, and If it has similar lock tabs it should work. Sounds like if your car won't accept a gasoline nozzle the designs can't be that different.
      I'd check with a BMW store and find out. I think the other end of the adapter is intended for use with heavy truck nozzles (36mm? I forget all the exact measurements) but really, you should be able to stick a smaller nozzle in, if its one of those situations where a diesel nozzle breaks and the station only has a gasoline nozzle to repair it with, so they stick a gas nozzle on.
      It's basically just a plastic tube, so I can't imagine it costs very much. I think it comes standard in the roadside kit in the trunk of a BMW.

Modified by SleeperPrelude at 11:13 PM 6-24-2009