VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Timing belt cover, is it necessary?

26K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  yutropicana 
#1 ·
How important is the timing belt cover? I am in the process of putting my engine back together after replacing my head gasket. I see many engines running with out them.
Looking at the different parts, two plastic covers and the metal plate, it seems mine have seen better days. The metal plate is about half there, and the lower plastic cover has several wear marks where belts, and pulleys have rubbed a bit. Where can I get some new ones if I decide to replace them?
Right now I just want to get this thing running as it has been non-driving since the winter. The timing belt is fairly new, and still looks in good condition. I plan on replacing that in the near future, but not right now. I could replace the cover then if they are essential.

#2 ·
Re: Timing belt cover, is it necessary? (zippy_vw_gti)

The timing cover keeps rocks and other debris from getting caught up in the belt and doing damage or breaking the belt thus damage could occur..
IMO I'd put the cover(s) on ASAP so you aren't stranded on one of those canyon runs. Making your mood go from
to

#7 ·
Re: (weejunGL)

They deform over time and rub on the pulleys. I have both and i'm not putting them back on. I didn't have them on my last one either. If you live in a dry arid place. Don't drive on gravel hard... I would not worry about them, Just change your timing belt on time.
Cheers!

#11 ·

I do scrutineering at 4 of the east performance rallies and have seen a number of Golfs/Jettas that run without either timing belt number and to the best of my knowledge have not experienced a problem with stones.
When I ran my GTI in rallies I kept both covers in place in addition to fabricating a skid plate that covered the belt end of the engine to keep rocks out. Once I started hillclimbing the car exclusively I chose to leave the covers off. I think if I drove the car on the streets, or raced where there are deep gravel traps I would at least keep the lower cover in place.

#12 ·
Re: Timing belt cover, is it necessary? (wclark)

I priced out the timing covers a while ago at world impex, and IIRC the cost for both of them new was somewhere approaching $100.
All of the 16v's i've purchased have either been missing the covers, or have had covers that were so warped or cracked they would not work, so I haven't been running one for a while.
Here's the part numbers if you want them:

1: 027109123B $56.53 @ impex
4: 027109174 $49.31 @ impex

#14 ·
Re: Timing belt cover, is it necessary? (speed51133!)

I had a kid bring in a mitsubishi mirage once. One of his v-belts broke and flew into the timing belt (no cover,) stripped all the teeth of the timing belt and bent six valves.
Pretty unlucky turn of events but it happens.

#15 ·
Re: Timing belt cover, is it necessary? (nick526)

This seems like one of those things that is ok to leave off 99.9% of the time.
Like when you were a kid and would always ride your bike with out shoes on. Then you dad sees you and says "you better put some shoes on or you might hurt your feet". You continue with a shrug, then promptly hit a rock, or some other stupid thing, and hurt your feet.
Well, I am going to leave it off for now. Then put part, or all of it back on before winter comes and I start getting salt, gravel, and deteriorationg road thrown at me from everyone.

#16 ·

leaving just the bottom part on doesnt sound like a good idea to me. if a rock were to find its way to the t-belt it seems like the lower part would act as a bowl for the rock to stay in. id go without it at all vs. just the lower half.

#23 ·
Anyone ever see two different types of the lower plastic covers for the g60? Swapping motors and there's obviously a difference...old motor has a spacer of some type jammed in from behind at one mounting hole.....replacement motor came with a slightly different cover Without any type of spacer.....just curious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.