So, did you ride today? (Details!) - Page 294
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 294 of 307 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304 ... LastLast
    Results 7,326 to 7,350 of 7653
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Sweet Jesus my legs are brutal today, fierce. This is gonna be harder than I thought.
      Haha awesome...

Back to hill repeats today.

9x minutes out of saddle. Roll down
      9x minutes in saddle. Roll down

Rinse. Repeat.

Thanks coach.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
      Interesting observation, so your saying my KOM could be faster
      Among how many riders?

I have an all-time KOM, it's among 12 other people.

On topic, another 18 after the mid week beer crawl ride. I snagged 3rd all time on the route by the house. Definitely good for 1st for the year. That one is among like 1200 riders. But it's short and flat, so not really impressive. But, it's fun. I was trying to teach myself how to sprint or do short intervals on the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      Among how many riders?

Out of 66 riders, know most of them and they are fast so I don't think it will hold up.
      12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

I rode yesterday, did a chilled out hour ride. I had gotten up at 530 and driven back from my parent's place in Maryland in the morning and I absolutely felt like **** on my ride. It was good to spin the legs out though.

Among how many riders?

KOMs are sort of meaningless though, especially on the road. Were you solo? Was there a tail wind? Were you in a group? All of those things drastically impact how fast you go on a road bike. A bit less so on a greenway, but really, who likes a pathlete? (Yes, I'm pretty much the definition of a pathlete... eat it. ) These things are are even less important on an MTB trail, for sure, but I'm sure there are or will be e-bikes out there making the entire 'placing' part of Strava totally meaningless. I do like looking at the other riders on the same day that I ride though. That's kind of a fun way to see if you got a FTD, but I think it's only available on the phone app (and not the website).

Anyway, I finally rode a trail system that I've been meaning to ride for a while: San-Lee in Sanford, NC. Fun, fun stuff. Very flowy, lots of berms, lots of little tabletops. There's also a pretty serious, long rock garden (almost a mile, I believe). It's several switchbacks worth of really technical, slow riding with fun names like "XC Race Course". I endoed pretty hard on that section, but got lucky on the landing. I don't think I've ever ridden anything with so much sustained, slow, potentially really painful technical stuff. It was a good challenge. I'm glad I brought the Top Fuel on this one, because it would have been a bit harder on my HT. I missed the gravity park side of the trail network, but I'll have to check that out next time. Looks like fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/943579874 (contrary to what Strava says, it was a solo ride)

Out of 66 riders, know most of them and they are fast so I don't think it will hold up.
      I'm waiting for that one turd on a CAT group ride from the local university to take a detour one day and kill the one I have.

I will say, I do train with power on the stationary and know what I can put out for a minute or two. Original fastest was 1:06 and by a guy that locally does have the KOM on a couple other local small hills that are around 1 to 3 minutes up. I got it down to 58 sec and then down to 53 sec. 500w for a minute is a lot for me. To someone else, nada.

I'll try it again soon. In the next couple weeks I have a century event and some long rides building up to it. I'll probably lose a few more pounds from that. I know the power is up a tad from the last try on it, so less weight and more power should mean a quicker time.

I ultimately want to get it to 45 seconds.

It's a stupid little thing......but it's entertaining and about the perfect amount of time for 1 minute intervals or hill repeats.

Banned
      Go check out Gee Athertons Instagram pic, perfect cornering. Bike almost on the ground, the left bar is in his face and his chest is still in normal rising position. Bike floats beneath him. Wheel turned a bit, can't be totally avoided, but it's way minimal to what the bike is providing.

Last edited by WhineMCABasket2.0t; 04-17-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Rough day. Wasn't feeling 100% but needed to get out of the house. Just got my dropper installed so was dying to try it out (fix my cornering )

Came in hot on the trail entrance and had a nice washout. Tore up my brand new shirt and bleeding all over it. Didn't notice any damage to my bike so keep going up the trail. Going down the backside notice my rear rim was over the place. Quick check, it's not my rim but my tire was deformed. Never seen that. So while limping down the trail, I burp my front tire so bad, had to swap in a tube. Finally limp back and notice my crank is loose, thinking it's my BB that's cracked. Guess that crash did more damage than expected.
      12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

Banned
      Rough day. Wasn't feeling 100% but needed to get out of the house. Just got my dropper installed so was dying to try it out (fix my cornering )

Came in hot on the trail entrance and had a nice washout. Tore up my brand new shirt and bleeding all over it. Didn't notice any damage to my bike so keep going up the trail. Going down the backside notice my rear rim was over the place. Quick check, it's not my rim but my tire was deformed. Never seen that. So while limping down the trail, I burp my front tire so bad, had to swap in a tube. Finally limp back and notice my crank is loose, thinking it's my BB that's cracked. Guess that crash did more damage than expected.
      dude!

Get it all out of the way I guess. Howd the washout go down?

Came in hot on the trail entrance and had a nice washout.
      Sorry dude, that sucks.

Having the new dropper and having it happen right at the trail entrance reminds me of this:

Oh, life is like that. Sometimes, at the height of our revelries, when our joy is at its zenith, when all is most right with the world, the most unthinkable disasters descend upon us.

dude!

Get it all out of the way I guess. Howd the washout go down?
      Per the crowd the guys watching me, my front tire hit a patch of leaves as I was turning.
      And of course I didn't have the camera on cause who crashes right at the trailhead?
      12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

Banned
      Per the crowd the guys watching me, my front tire hit a patch of leaves as I was turning.
      And of course I didn't have the camera on cause who crashes right at the trailhead?
      yeah it sucks but i'll happily fall on dirt 100x before i fall on the road once.

Inadvertent ftp test at lunch. Tried to do a GCN show class on my phone on the wifi, wifi farted out just after warmup and into the 2nd interval. I was a couple minutes into an effort so figured why not. I did it rested but not well fed or watered before hand.

Got it up to 220w this time. Still weigh 165 lbs. I just set the power at 220 and let it control me to that.

It's nothing stellar, but a little more power. I bet properly fed and watered I could do a little more. It was hot as hell in there today again. Lungs were on fire.

I wonder what it will be at around the end of fall this year. I'm sure the gains will slow steadily since I'm still into the "newbie" gains nearing one year.

Banned
      Fat burn easy pace, nice. Gonna be using this as my midweek rides and saving the legs for the way more difficult MTB rides.

1:16:52
      16.8 mph (nice)
      209NP

ominous clouds, did rain, was gross

I dunno how you road guys subject yourself to the nasty chemicals and grime on the roads, this never happens on the trails and when it does it's just dirt, not oil, grease, and who knows what.

I dunno how you road guys subject yourself to the nasty chemicals and grime on the roads, this never happens on the trails and when it does it's just dirt, not oil, grease, and who knows what.
      It's not just the road guys (like you weren't/aren't one...). How do you know what's in the water in the creek you're splashing through? The water in the lakes around here is scary. Shadiness, PCBs and such.

I did my typical greenway lunch ride today (~16 miles at a slightly pokey 19mph). A bit windy and allergies are still killing my energy levels, but not too bad. No road grime, but I did have to do a little off-roading on the road bike to get around a gaggle of pissed off geese and their goslings. I also had to dodge a massive black racer snake, so there are plenty of hazards off of the road.

https://www.strava.com/activities/947704586

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      It's not just the road guys (like you weren't/aren't one...). How do you know what's in the water in the creek you're splashing through? The water in the lakes around here is scary. Shadiness, PCBs and such.
      i dont usually have creek crossings but when i do it's about 1/2 second not 1.5 hours

Spent 1hr in the hurtbox, aka Zwift session.

6x1 minute efforts at 400w (6.2w/kilo) with 5 min rest in between, followed by 6x30 sec efforts at 310w with 1min of hard tempo in between. I honestly thought I was going to die.

Sometimes I question my sanity and ask myself why the fvk do I continue subjecting myself to this crap.

To those interested what it looks like, click here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/947212016/analysis
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Got it up to 220w this time. Still weigh 165 lbs. I just set the power at 220 and let it control me to that.

It's nothing stellar, but a little more power. I bet properly fed and watered I could do a little more. It was hot as hell in there today again. Lungs were on fire.

I wonder what it will be at around the end of fall this year. I'm sure the gains will slow steadily since I'm still into the "newbie" gains nearing one year.
      Nice work! Continue this way and the results will come.

Consistency and being careful not to overtrain are two main factors.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤

Banned
      [QUOTE=J-Tim;104822073

Sometimes I question my sanity and ask myself why the fvk do I continue subjecting myself to this crap.
      [/QUOTE]

Only sometimes??

Banned
      Oh right forgot to upload it. No biggie, settling into mid week easy rides. 195 np, 1:46:31, 30.63 miles

Banned
      Ok so you probably know this but for anyone who doesnt...

3 ways to turn a MTB... by the bars, by leaning your whole body, by dropping the bike

By the bars... prone to washouts as the tires are trying to do too much. If you go down while doing this you are in an upright position and likely to go OTB as you cannot escape the bike. You may also get high sided depending on how it happens. No real graceful escape and usually the worst kind of crash results.

By leaning the whole body... this is like a ctit turn, you can do this in a berm at will since you have endless support, but on anything flat if you slide out you go down. You won't go OTB but you may high side if you're not leaning a lot. If you are leaning a lot you land on your body and hip.

By dropping the bike... this is by far the best. I'm gonna show Gee Atherton again. His inside foot is pretty free of the bike and inches from the dirt. His chest is upright and parallel to the ground and his shoulders level(ish, i mean he is turning hard). If the bike slides out he is left in a standing position on his inside foot and stands a good chance at escape (though not as much at his speeds). His outside foot is on top of the bike and it will slide under it. Even if it clips his foot it won't knock him down. He will mostly stay up in a slide out. This also lets you dab out if needed to save a crash from a slide out.

Riding a MTB is all in the hips, and his hips are quite square here, especially given how far down the bike is.

Last edited by WhineMCABasket2.0t; 04-19-2017 at 07:57 PM.

30 last night on the beer crawl. It digressed into about 4-5 of us doing chases and the rest catching up at turns off of a street or the top of a hill.

On the way home from it had to tighten a front brake pad. Heard a weird noise on braking and found it. Checked the others and fixed then proceeded on. No harm no foul.

It's silly, but some dummy ends their segment on Faircloth Street right at the damn stoplight. Anytime there is traffic, I look at that one to see how I did and am like "WTF? slow?". But then realize there is a period of time I haven't reached the end because of cars in line at the light. Sucks to hold like 28 to 30 mph then see the result due to the light.

Spent a little more time chatting with folks this time too, was a nice evening.

Banned
      21 easy miles, 206np.

Something that has always plagued me is catching up again. I hate eating. I never eat enough even for easy days. It goes okay for a while but I end up at a wall. So I got my brotein again. Had 2 shakes and 2 lunches and was still hungry before dinner. Feels like I'm playing catch-up due weeks of riding without eating enough.

Banned
      2 late nights and I was beat this AM. I knew the MTB would be just too brutal being this tired, so road day it was.

42.86 miles
      1811 ft
      17.8 mph
      220NP

Page 294 of 307 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304 ... LastLast