Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411?

My neighbor up the street is an avid mechanic and is always tinkering on something albeit usually american v8's. Recently ive noticed he has switched from the many mustangs to a red Mitsubishi Starion. After doing a quick search, ive learned of it to be a rear wheel drive 4cyl turbo car with an american twin known as the dodge conquest. What gives? Why didnt this car catch on like the hachi's or any other japanese car with cult followers? It has the 4g63.... shouldnt it have been godly?
      pics 4 clicks

his is red like this
      i like the profile and stance of the car

From what I've heard, they make Corrados look reliable.

Re: Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411? (bwell01)

Looks cool, the later wide bodies look awesome. Ive lusted for one but the motor and accompanying components are all POS. It has essentially a turbo'd truck motor.

FV-QR

From what I've heard, they're electrical nightmares. But I still want one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      People always like to throw around words like "no" and "title" or "illegal" or "feds", but at the end of the day, they're just words.

Quote, originally posted by bwell01 »
      It has the 4g63....

No. It has a turboed Mighty Max truck motor with TBI. Utter mechanical cluster****s. I used to cringe when one even slowed down in front of the shop....

Quote, originally posted by bwell01 »
      It has the 4g63.... shouldnt it have been godly?
      It didn't have the 4g63, it was a SOHC 2.4L. Although like all Mitsu's the 4g63 bolts right in. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Re: Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411? (winstonsmith84)

Quote, originally posted by winstonsmith84 »
      No. It has a turboed Mighty Max truck motor with TBI. Utter mechanical cluster****s. I used to cringe when one even slowed down in front of the shop....

LOL, they are cluster****s. I had the chance to buy one cheap not long ago but I passed. Really more hassle than I can bother with.
      Prime candidates for LSx swaps though. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Re: Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411? (boosted1800cc)

Quote, originally posted by boosted1800cc »
      It didn't have the 4g63, it was a SOHC 2.4L. Although like all Mitsu's the 4g63 bolts right in. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

How does it bolt right in when the StarQuests are RWD?

Re: Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411? (kwik!gti)

Quote, originally posted by kwik!gti »

I've seen the swaps. I have no idea what is involved, but they are out there. The extent of my Mitsu knowledge ends at lifter replacement in a 4g37.

sideways, of course
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Buy my wife's old laptop!

Adapter plates work wonders. I believe Burschur (sp?) makes one.

oops, im sorry... the australian models came with 4g63's
      Models
      A number of models existed throughout the world during 1982 to 1990.
      Australia - 2.0 L 4G63 engine. Australian vehicles were mostly similar to the European TURBO specification. The J codes below denote the model version, and are found on the Australian Vehicle Information Plates.
      JA - 1982 - 1984
      JB - 1984 - 1985
      JD - 1985 - 1987
      Japan - 2.0 L 4G63 engine, apart from GSR-VR which has 2.6 L 4G54 engine.
      The Japanese Domestic Market had a large range of Starions to choose from.
      GX - 1982-1983 (non turbo)
      GSR-I,GSR-II,GSR-III, GSR-X, - 1982-1984
      GSR-II, GSR-III,GSR-X,GSR-V - 1985-1986 - can be distinguised from the earlier starions by driving lights in the front bumper
      GSR-V - 1986-1987 - some had Sirius Dash engine
      GSR-VR - 1987-1988 (widebody)
      The Roman numeral after 'GSR' denotes the vehcile specification. Some examples can be found below:

GSR-I - base model
      GSR-II - power steering and electric windows
      GSR-III - improved audio system, trip computer system, digital dash cluster, and air conditioning.
      GSR-X - leather interior replaced the cloth, climate control, air conditioning, cruise control
      United States - 2.6 L G54B engine.
      Mitsubishi
      LS
      ES
      ESI
      ESI-R
      Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth
      TSi
      Europe
      EX - luxury version
      TURBO - base model
      With the exception of Australia, many models were available as either narrowbody or widebody shell styles.
      still doing some digging

Re: Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411? (djsheijkdfj)

Quote, originally posted by djsheijkdfj »
      Adapter plates work wonders. I believe Burschur (sp?) makes one.

Ahh I see. From the post I quoted it seemed like he was saying it was a plag and play affair.

I would buy one, discovered the car after Jeremy had one on Top Gear. And yes basically it is, electronically, one of the worst Mitsu's.

Here it is.
      Part One
      http://videos.streetfire.net/v...6.htm
      Part Two
      http://videos.streetfire.net/v...8.htm
      Part Three
      http://videos.streetfire.net/v...0.htm
      Previously Owned: 96 Discovery/65 Corvair/93 Corolla Wagon/89 LeSabre/96 Camry/99 Regal GS/95 Accord/98 C-SVT/90 LS400/89 Supra/91 Legacy SS/01 CVPI/92 Mark VII/87 200SX/90 325i/03 TL-S/98 SC2/00 JGC/02 Forester/95 LS400/95 Audi 90/01 Jetta VR6/93 LS400/96 Camry/00 Cavalier/06 Speed6/92 190E/04 Accord/95 & 05 Civic/01 Cavalier/97 Bravada
      Current: 97 Volvo S90+99 Civic

All engines have an output shaft with a flywheel, you take that output shaft and insert it into the transmission, bolt said engine to the transmission, get some motor mounts and viola, you now have a 4g63 in your Starion. It bolts right into the Mighty Max too.
      And if i remember correctly, it's been a few years, it doesn't need an adapter plate.

Modified by boosted1800cc at 9:31 PM 1-11-2010

Everywhere but the US got the 4G63 in the Starion. The US got the G54B.

Re: Mitsubishi Starion... Whats the 411? (boosted1800cc)

Quote, originally posted by boosted1800cc »
      It bolts right into the Mighty Max too.

This might be pursuant to my interests.......

Crappy stock engine - it's not a 4G63, it's a 2.6L Mitsubishi Astron truck engine (4G54) with a turbo and eight million fragile vacuum hoses. JDM versions had a SOHC 4G63 available.
      They're from the early days of factory EFI turbo engines. The engine controls aren't very sophisticated and the turbo system is pretty inefficient. Since they didn't make huge stock horsepower (and the JDM 4G63 was the basis for the race engine) the rotating assembly isn't super-beefed up like most turbo cars. They're right there with other forgotten cars like the '84-'86 Nissan 200SX Turbo.
      These cars had a huge cult following in the '90s, back when you could still easily pick up a clean used one and throw on some bolt-ons. They aged poorly and most of their fans moved on to DSMs and later WRXs and Evos.
      A DOHC 4G63 (DSM style) can be installed, and I've seen American V8s. Replacing the 4G54 with a 4G63 is fairly well-documented out there, both in Starion/Conquests and the Mitsubishi Mighty Max/Dodge D50 pickups.
      You're not going to find suspension upgrades nowadays, and they're pretty heavy for a car of this era (around 3000lb). McPherson strut front and semi-trailing arm rear. In good stock shape the handling is OK but it's no mad drift machine.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

This might be pursuant to my interests.......
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpvL7CysSE
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzPN1U4O1Hs&NR=1

Modified by boosted1800cc at 9:36 PM 1-11-2010

Re: (bhtooefr)

Quote, originally posted by bhtooefr »
      From what I've heard, they make Corrados look reliable.

14 Years/120k+ miles of owning a Corrado and i still smile everytime i get into it...and yes its starts everytime.
      I will gladly share my repair/maint receipts and compare them to any other car out there...and bet they are UNDER what an average honda/acura/lexus would be. YES I work as a service writer at a HONDA dealership....and have also worked at an Acura and not to mention a LEXUS dealership. Do you really want me to show you some repair bills from those cars with under 100k and under 10 yrs old.....mine have never approached that.
      So unless you have WORKED in a service dept. of another make....dont comment on something you have no TRUE knowledge of.
      Cant wait for your reply.

Re: (justinsvr6)

Quote, originally posted by justinsvr6 »
      I work as a service writer at a HONDA dealership....and have also worked at an Acura and not to mention a LEXUS dealership.

Which means you never saw the ones that weren't broken, and you saw the owners paying full retail price for parts and labor while your Corrado is fixed with your own free labor and parts you get cheap from the internet.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Re: (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
      Which means you never saw the ones that weren't broken, and you saw the owners paying full retail price for parts and labor while your Corrado is fixed with your own free labor and parts you get cheap from the internet.

I stated i will gladly show my repair bills to anyone elses who has owned there car for the same time period.....and yes i will adjust my labor/parts.
      And fyi....i paid full retail pricing on trans rebuild/clutch/valve guides/chains/full brake job. also for a new radiator.

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar

Re: (justinsvr6)

I love these cars, a friend had one in high school and they are fun little cars with a lot of potential.
      oh and inb4Andlf!
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

FV-QR

"wide block" 4G63's will bolt up to the starion transmission
      http://projectzerog.com/index.shtml
      has all the info you could ever want to know about the swap. I want to do it eventually, but being a poor student kind of sucks.
      signatures are annoying, right?

FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by justinsvr6 »
      I stated i will gladly show my repair bills to anyone elses who has owned there car for the same time period.....and yes i will adjust my labor/parts.
      And fyi....i paid full retail pricing on trans rebuild/clutch/valve guides/chains/full brake job. also for a new radiator.

aren't you proud of yourself, need a hug?
      signatures are annoying, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast