anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (Doedrums)

Quote, originally posted by Doedrums »

I installed auto glass for eight years and there is no difference in a shop or mobile install. A good company and tech will have all the materials they need and then some. Heck, my work van was better equipped than most shops I'd been to. We were given the latest and greatest tools and materials. I couldn't complain about that at all. That was Safelite BTW.

Never said one couldn't get a good install in a parking lot, just that my preference was to have them do it in the shop. It has nothing to do with tools; I just think an installer is more comfortable working on a car inside the shop than outside in a parking lot or driveway.

I worked as a Quality Engineer for a major OE supplier for nearly 20 years, so I am just a little particular about glass getting installed in my cars. Now if someone wants to replace one in my driveway with me looking over their shoulder and critiquing their work , then that is a different story.

Modified by randyvr6 at 11:22 AM 3-23-2010

I had them replace my wifes front windshield. Everything is great. I recently called them about replacing mine and got 3 different quotes....so I called a different place (b/c I don't like being screwed with) and got an even lower price than safelites lowest price.

http://www.glassusa.com

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (randyvr6)

Quote, originally posted by randyvr6 »
      There is times when a certain glass supplier gets the contract for an entire vehicle, and other times when 1 supplier may have the tempered glass and someone else has the windshield. Everytime there is a new vehicle, there is a new round of quotes, and the next supplier is chosen based usually upon the pricing first and previous quality metrics second.

Typically, the supplier who has the OE business for a particular part uses that tooling to make the replacement parts but with their own logo. The other suppliers of aftermarket glass and those who didn't get the OE contract will buy parts on the open market and reverse engineer them to make a copy to sell in the aftermarket as replacement glass.

I worked for one of the big OE suppliers for a long time before I got downsized. They sold OE and aftermarket glass. If there was a car that they did not supply the OE glass for, they would buy some parts and copy them to avoid having to pay full price buying them from a competitor. Since Safelite supplies no OE glass that is how they operate their business.

100% correct.

And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (Doedrums)

I had a great experience with Safelite. Would use them again.

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (randyvr6)

Just found this, it might be biased so take it for what its worth: http://www.ultrabond.com/whywindshields.pdf

Basically OEM windshields are held to higher standards for stress and such. They are also going to fit the car best.

The Nice Car:
      2013 Ibis White Audi A4 quattro 2.0T - Have HEX+CAN VCDS, PM Me

The Hoopty Beater: SOLD
      1987 Alpine White Audi 4000cs quattro "special build"

We had a horrible experience.

We went to their shop on Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda, MD.

It was a hot day, but their work was just awful. The glue wasn't dry, fit was horrific, and they didn't tape it down to hold it in place while it dried.

It was so bad they agreed to re-do the rubber weatherstripping.

The 2nd round it was "less bad", but still far, far from a quality job.

Thank God I was selling the car, and the new owner was OK with it. I would not have been satisfied if I weren't selling it.

Sounds like other shops are find, so just avoid that location.

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (EricTheRad)

I had a very good experience with Safelite as well. They used their house brand windshield which was made somewhere in North Carolina, IIRC... I inspected it before it went in, because I've seem some crappy windshields go in previous cars (not done by Safelite). Cost $230 or so, took about an hour at their shop, which was right down the street from my work. Looks just like the OEM Volvo windshield-- minus the pits, scratches and cracks...

There is a reason they are so big- If they sucked, they wouldn't be in business.

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (stlgrym3)

Safelite my a**, called them just right now, they quoted me 1100 installed using their own manufactured glass. f*ck that, i just ordered through my dealership, an oem window for much cheaper than that. i was expecting less than 400 bucks from all the info i was gathering.

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (dieselraver)

Quote, originally posted by dieselraver »

FYI - VW uses Pilkington as OEM, my sister had her pass side window replaced by them, they had to custom cut a window for her took 1 day, the only difference between the OEM vs replacement was there was no VW logo on it. but the pilkington was there.

Ohh, well thats nice to hear - the passenger side front door glass in my car is Pilkington and I was always like wtf is this cheap noname sh*t.

Re: (deucestudios)

Quote, originally posted by deucestudios »
      They came and took the broken window out of my Cherokee, told me it had surface rust in the windshield frame, and that because of that, they would not put a new one in.

Needless to say, I flipped out on the guy.

I spent the weekend grinding out the rust, prepped & painted it.

They came back out that Monday morning, and dropped it right in.

I had a Jetta that had rust around the windshield frame, removed the old windshield, repaired the rust and painted the entire windshield bed area with POR-15. Then got Safelite to put a new windshield. The tech they sent out was a complete moron and I have no idea why I let him work on my car First, he got to my garage before me, and replaced the windshield on the wrong car. I had a red mica 88 GTI sitting outside the garage, and the car to get the windshield was a black 90 Jetta inside the garage. At the time of setting up the appointment, they asked all kinds of questions, year, model, color, license plate #, etc. I even stated that there was no windshield in the car, etc. So I got a new windshield on the GTI for free. There wasn't even anything wrong with the old one. The bad part was that the installation job the tech did blew nuts, hard. So then he tells me that he will have to "scrape off all the old paint" on the Jetta, because "the windshield needs something to stick to". Yeah I guess he meant bare metal...

So to make a long, frustrating story short, I ended up getting a new windshield in both cars, for free, from Safelite. Then things were nice. For a while anyways...the windshield in the Jetta ended up cracking on it's own about a year later, no impact or anything. Crappy quality apparently.

The original tech got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman
      You sound like a man who would appreciate an upper decker.

Senior Member justanotherusername's Avatar

Quote, originally posted by stlgrym3 »
      Safelite my a**, called them just right now, they quoted me 1100 installed using their own manufactured glass. f*ck that, i just ordered through my dealership, an oem window for much cheaper than that. i was expecting less than 400 bucks from all the info i was gathering.

On a ****ing Evo?! WHY?

They did mine, including the auto rain sensor for under $500, and that was using OEM glass (they don't make a replacement for my car).

I think you must have talked to an idiot.

i have USAA insurance, who has safelite as their preferred provider. they replaced my windsheild in about 30 minutes while i was at work, the guy was very freindly and professional and the windshield is great. 2nd time ive used them, would recommened them to anyone based on the quality of service i recieved.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

yep.

they are fine. i think i have had them do two or three.
      they come to your house, work... whatever. takes them an hour or two to finish the work.

no hassles in my dealings with them.

epitome

I need to follow this... "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

FV-QR

The only experience I've had with Safelite wasn't all that great. This was back in '01 when I had them install window glass on the Crown Vic that had been vandalized with the pass. side front door window busted out.

My gripe isn't with the glass quality at all--it's with their quality of service, notably one of their techs who didn't know WTF he was doing and seemed to be employed just to **** the affected door up as much as possible during window replacement.

Speaking of windshields and labor practices, the exact same Crown Vic, a '94 model, had its windshield replaced back in '96 shortly before I bought the car and its windshield wasn't correctly installed so there was an air leak at the base of the driver side A-pillar which would make itself known at any speed over 40 mph. I have no idea who replaced the windshield but again the glass quality wasn't the problem--it was whoever installed it.

My experience with Safelite was horrible. When I had my R32 a rock hit the windshield and cracked it. I have glass coverage on my policy with Geico and they use Safelite. The guy showed up to my house to change the windshield and in the process damaged both A pillars inside the car and outside the car. Had me go to their office so the manager could see it. When I got there the manager told me that if I wanted it done right I should have brought the car to the shop instead where they have more "control", but said that they would fix the damage they caused. Came back a week later to pick up the car and found that they had resprayed the a pillars but not very well cause it was a different shade of white and the actual paint had small cracks in it. At least they had replaced the a pillar covers inside the car. At that point I told them that the car is going to my bodyshop so they can fix the car and they told me to contact the main office so they can pay me. I had my car fixed, but never got paid because the main office said that I should've had the original shop redo the work....should've sued them...
      So long story short, they suck.

I had them put in a new windshield in my eurovan after I got pulled over for having a crack. They were supposed to come on thursday morning to my house and didn't show up. Friday I come home from school and I see that the ev's window was replaced but had another crack in it that they made while putting it in. I then had to wait till monday for them to put in yet another one, and this one was okay.

But in the oem vs. aftermarket aspect, I like the aftermarket one they put in because it has a blueish tint to the top, in the sunvisor area that cuts down on the glare from the sun.

FV-QR

for vehicles with rain sensors, don t go safelite unless it s purely for labor
      buddy's B7 A4, he had to use OEM Audi glass because the generix safelite replacement was not
      a) compatible correctly with the rain sensor
      b) not acoustic glass

otherwise, they do awesome stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

Re: FV-QR (Das Borgen)

Quote, originally posted by Das Borgen »
      for vehicles with rain sensors, don t go safelite unless it s purely for labor
      buddy's B7 A4, he had to use OEM Audi glass because the generix safelite replacement was not
      a) compatible correctly with the rain sensor
      b) not acoustic glass

otherwise, they do awesome stuff

huh? I have a rain sensor, and I have a Safelite windshield. What is "acoustic glass"?

I used it on Touareg. I was using their facility, not mobil team. Everithing was fine, no problem.

Re: FV-QR (Skot53)

Quote, originally posted by Skot53 »

huh? I have a rain sensor, and I have a Safelite windshield. What is "acoustic glass"?

Acoustic windshield glass has a special type of vinyl interlayer between the two plies that is engineered to reduce the amount of noise inside the cabin.

Re: FV-QR (Skot53)

We used safelite for my wife's 2001 RAV4 we were selling.
      Did a great job and was quick.
      The guy had to scrape out a lot of adhesive and after he was done he used some kind of black paint around where the winshield will be placed incase he had scuffed any of the paint off or went metal deep.
      I guess to prevent corrosion.

Otherwise looked perfect after install, the glass was their house glass made in 'Mexico" with a nice blue shaded part on top.

There are some cars the guy admitted were a total PITA, he said the older 911's were probably the worst as they have a funky seal...

Re: FV-QR (randyvr6)

Quote, originally posted by randyvr6 »

Acoustic windshield glass has a special type of vinyl interlayer between the two plies that is engineered to reduce the amount of noise inside the cabin.

AFAIK, all modern windshields regardless of make or model are made of laminated glass right from the get-go. Which means they all have a two plies of glass sandwiching a plastic inner layer.

That said, some cars do have laminated side window glass, the '02 Volvo S80 T6 I drive comes immediately to mind, while the majority of others make do with tempered side window glass instead.

Re: FV-QR (monkeytronic)

Quote, originally posted by monkeytronic »

AFAIK, all modern windshields regardless of make or model are made of laminated glass right from the get-go. Which means they all have a two plies of glass sandwiching a plastic inner layer.

That said, some cars do have laminated side window glass, the '02 Volvo S80 T6 I drive comes immediately to mind, while the majority of others make do with tempered side window glass instead.

Yea, I know, I worked for one of the biggest OE glass suppliers for 18 years.

The acoustic glass has a special type of vinyl interlayer compared to the standard types of glass. It makes quite a bit of difference, but is expensive. A couple of cars which will remain nameless were launched with the acoustic glass and were then changed to non acoustic for cost savings after all the magazine reviews and JD Power ratings were established

You are right; there are some (usually higher end) cars with laminated door glass for the same reason of noise reduction, but it is also somewhat expensive as well. Does the average customer get enough value to make it worth the added cost?

Re: anyone used Safelite Auto Glass to replace their windshields? (fireside)

Quote, originally posted by fireside »

Ohh, well thats nice to hear - the passenger side front door glass in my car is Pilkington and I was always like wtf is this cheap noname sh*t.

Hmm I was just inspecting the newly cracked windshield in my GTI and it's a Pilkington.

No telling how old it is since I've only had the car 3 years but it's pitted, chipped and now I have my first major crack. I'm going to pick installers carefully when I replace it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12