Rear coilover adjustment issue - Bilstein PSS9s
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

Rear coilover adjustment issue - Bilstein PSS9s

Installed a set of Bilstein PSS9s and adjusting the front for height was no problem. Both the driver's side and the passenger's side are adjusted to the same point on the thread and the front of the car is nice level.

However, the only way to get the rear of the car to be level (once on the ground) was to slam the driver's side all the way down and adjust the passenger side to a little more than an inch of adjustment left? I have not removed the helper spring on any of the coilovers...

Driver's side rear

Passenger's side rear

Driver's side front

Passenger's side front

The car is level, however I would think that the thread left on each of the coilovers should be close to the same? Also, I believe that it is causing the rear driver's side to "clunk" a bit when I hit even the smallest bump on the road.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? What am I missing here?

-Jeff

Check the top rubber bushings on the rear coils. They may not have the correct setup or one of the strut mounts is not sitting properly at the top.

Also you said a clunking? Its probably the rubber strut mount returning to the where it should be installed and it pops back misaligned. Similar to a dislocated shoulder...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by VRSIX POWER View Post
      Check the top rubber bushings on the rear coils. They may not have the correct setup or one of the strut mounts is not sitting properly at the top.
      Okay..I will check that out tonight. Both of the top of the rear coils seem to be exactly the same and sitting flush.

Quote Originally Posted by VRSIX POWER View Post
      Also you said a clunking? Its probably the rubber strut mount returning to the where it should be installed and it pops back misaligned. Similar to a dislocated shoulder...hehe
      That could definitely be it...drove my brother's MKIII GTI with the same setup and it was a lot smoother than my Corrado...

-Jeff

I took both of the rears out to inspect. Below are two pictures of the coilover assembled with the lower bushing. It would appear that this is the correct way for assembly per the Bentley and the illustration/instructions that came with the PSS9s. I have not yet made a decision to keep the poly bushings or go back to the stock rubber.

Here's one from top

I also believe that this is the correct way the top bushing will sit once everything goes back together.

Do I have the assembly correct?

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by vw16v88 View Post

Do I have the assembly correct?

-Jeff

Thanks!!

I too have the poly rear bushings, but mine are installed like the pic above.

I also have PSS9s, and I cut the rear spacer in half for both rears, and then tightened it all up.
      The Bilstein spacer works fine with stock rubber bushings, but was too long for the poly bushings.

This was done 10 years ago on my Mk2 VR6 swap.

As for the clunking, mine does it to this day, and I always thought it was the rear Neuspeed sway bar. I then decided to kick my tail pipe, I heard the distinct familiar sound, it was the tail pipe hitting the bumper.

I'm going to replace the dual tips with a single oval.
      The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
      I too have the poly rear bushings, but mine are installed like the pic above.
      Thanks for the pic! It appears that I had the two bushings upside down.

I don't believe that I have that cover which goes on top of the lower bushing. Not too sure if that's a big deal or not?

I also have PSS9s, and I cut the rear spacer in half for both rears, and then tightened it all up. The Bilstein spacer works fine with stock rubber bushings, but was too long for the poly bushings.
      Hmm...I didn't seem to have this issue, but let me check once I put the bushings the correct way.

As for the clunking, mine does it to this day, and I always thought it was the rear Neuspeed sway bar. I then decided to kick my tail pipe, I heard the distinct familiar sound, it was the tail pipe hitting the bumper.
      I think that my clunking was caused by the bushings being installed improperly when I had this work done. The upper bushing was on the bottom and the lower bushing was on the top...

-Jeff

Sorry to bring this back around from 2010 but I seem to have a similar issue except that the both rear coilovers are down to the lowest setting and they don't go any lower. The fronts look and ride nice. I may need to raise them.
      But the rears have no more thread left.
      I'll have to take them out and see what my bushings are doing.
      The PSS9s should go lower right?? I mean I paid over $1500 thinking they'll look cool.

My fronts I have enough room to slide my pinky finger in but the rears are like 3 fingers. And that's it. I wish I could upload a picture here but don't know how. Or have a URL with the picture.

Please help and say something must be wrong because they should go lower.

1990 Nugget Yellow G60

I Remember removing the helper spring from mine to lower the rear. Are the ones you have a new set?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steviee8 View Post
      The PSS9s should go lower right?? I mean I paid over $1500 thinking they'll look cool.
      They are costly because they work very well at being a good suspension, if you're in it just for the lows then this was not the correct route to take. Be proud of having an excellent suspension and don't ruin it by slamming the car. But if you MUST be part of the stancefools crowd go right ahead and take the helper spring out to obtain more thread availability for the perch. Could also find a set of H&R Ultra Lows as nearly the entire strut body is threaded and they will still perform better than any raceland/ rokkor/ JOM coilover.

Just curious, what size are your wheels?
      2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @_chip_douglas_

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Steviee8 View Post
      Sorry to bring this back around from 2010 but I seem to have a similar issue except that the both rear coilovers are down to the lowest setting and they don't go any lower. The fronts look and ride nice. I may need to raise them.
      But the rears have no more thread left.
      I'll have to take them out and see what my bushings are doing.

My fronts I have enough room to slide my pinky finger in but the rears are like 3 fingers. And that's it. I wish I could upload a picture here but don't know how. Or have a URL with the picture.

Please help and say something must be wrong because they should go lower.

1990 Nugget Yellow G60
      You bought one of the best performing coilover setups on the market. PSS9s are not designed to go pointlessly low.
      What you are stating is 100% correct - wound all the way down, they are higher than other no-name, never-been-tracked, cheap coilover brands.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up