VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Submarines on Top Gear

11K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  clutchrider 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any better shots of them? (I didn't know where to put this as it is Top Gear related, and thereby as tangentially car related as Top Gear itself is)

I have located the base that the Top Gear crew visited, it's just below the kink in the road in the center of this map:

View Larger Map

If you click "photo" in Google maps there is actually a picture of the tunneled out base, but I can't find any of the subs that Jeremy and James walked about on.

Heck, if anyone has pictures of that massive row of MiGs they walked through that'd be cool too... But compared to some rusted out Subs sitting in an Albanian bay the MiGs are almost common!

#2 · (Edited)
I was wondering this myself. After some research, it looks like they went to the Pashaliman submarine base. When the Albanians broke away from the Soviet Union, they got the sub base and 4 submarines. They ran for a few decades with the help of the Chinese. They're currently in the process of selling off the submarines for scrap, one has already sunk from being in such poor condition. As you can see, the one Clarkson climbs on is in the process of being scrapped. The only info I can get is for the one behind him (024) which was commissioned in 1955 and decommissioned in 1991, although the others might have been decommissioned as late as 1998. One sub, (presumably the gray one in better nick), is intended to become a museum.

The subs during better times.

Later..

#3 ·
I remember reading an article about those MiGs a few years back in either Combat Aircraft or Air Forces Monthly....cant remember which. They were all grouped up there due to an arms treaty and were slowly being dismantled. IIRC there were a LOT more MiG-21's there before. If I can find it I will post it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.