The "you need a Miata" thread - Page 146
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 146 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149 LastLast
    Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 3712
    1. #3626
      Member PizzaCat!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      19,317
      Spotted in Sioux Falls, SD:

      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

      It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

    2. #3627
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,641
      They make ultrasonic noise generators that are supposed to keep mice away, but I'm not sure how well they work. It's logical, but I don't know if it's just a gimmick or not.

      My response to the kid who called Miatas gay? "You don't know anything about cars, do you?" That usually riles them up a bit.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    3. #3628
      Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      27,310
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      They make ultrasonic noise generators that are supposed to keep mice away, but I'm not sure how well they work. It's logical, but I don't know if it's just a gimmick or not.

      My response to the kid who called Miatas gay? "You don't know anything about cars, do you?" That usually riles them up a bit.
      Most of his friends just want me to give them rides when it arrives. I remember that age though {deep sigh}

    4. #3629
      Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      27,310

    5. #3630
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 10th, 2008
      Location
      Beverly Hills, CA
      Posts
      4,625
      Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      Yes, that is a great deal for a beater Miata.

      Sloppy shifter is $100 in parts for a shifter rebuild.

      Drooping idle can be fixed by either resetting the idle ECU (putting the car in diagnostics mode with a paper clip and turning the idle screw), cleaning the idle air control valve or getting a new IACV. New IACV is around $200 I think? One of the most expensive parts for the car

      Worn suspension can be solved with a good set of shocks/springs (figure about $800 for the cheapest "good" performance suspension) and another $150 worth of new bushings.

      All in, about $1k. To be honest though (and you've owned an NB so you might know this) stuff really adds up with the old cars. Everything tends to just wear out from age and a $1500 can EASILY turn into a $3000 car.
      Cool, thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

      And yeah, my NB cost me more in maintenance than I was expecting, but it was still well-worth it to keep the miles off of my more expensive-to-drive car. I'm figuring even if this thing costs me $3,000 I'll nearly recoup that difference within the first year in gas savings alone compared to the 10mpg I'm getting in my Viper Not to mention that the Viper is just a complete pain in the a$$ to drive around town in traffic and tight parking lots (which is 90% of LA) because it's so low, wide and has a ridiculously large turning radius. I've been really enjoying hopping in my car and going to the Trader Joe's 1/2 a mile away (that has a really steep ramp to the underground parking lot making it a huge pain in the Viper), with the Viper I just walk
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

    6. #3631
      Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      3,206
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      Cool, thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

      And yeah, my NB cost me more in maintenance than I was expecting, but it was still well-worth it to keep the miles off of my more expensive-to-drive car. I'm figuring even if this thing costs me $3,000 I'll nearly recoup that difference within the first year in gas savings alone compared to the 10mpg I'm getting in my Viper Not to mention that the Viper is just a complete pain in the a$$ to drive around town in traffic and tight parking lots (which is 90% of LA) because it's so low, wide and has a ridiculously large turning radius. I've been really enjoying hopping in my car and going to the Trader Joe's 1/2 a mile away (that has a really steep ramp to the underground parking lot making it a huge pain in the Viper), with the Viper I just walk
      No problem. To be honest, a Miata will run even if it's poorly maintained. Maintenance just gives you peace of mind to take it anywhere, but if you're using it as a city commuter sort of thing you'll be fine.
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    7. #3632
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,411
      Gonna whore out my car and its new wheels/tires a little bit. It rides better, handles really nicely, and is a LOT quieter on the highway. Can't wait to get the suspension on.







      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    8. #3633
      Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      3,206
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    9. #3634
      Member PizzaCat!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      19,317
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Gonna whore out my car
      Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      dana
      Hnngh. Beat me by seconds to post that.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

      It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

    10. #3635
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,411
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    11. #3636
      Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      3,206
      Love me some Scully
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    12. #3637
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,410
      Speaking of redheads, I took a 3hr drive to a winery recently with my GF. She formerly characterized herself as "not a convertible girl", but this drive changed that.





      It's been almost 2yrs since I completed the full nut & bolt restoration and engine conversion and have put ~10K miles on it and there are still times when I'm shocked at how well everything in this package works. I typically won't drive it when the temperature gets below 40* (mainly because of the tires), but in the mild weather, it's a semi-daily driver for me. Realistically, I drive it whenever because it's such a great driving experience. The lure of an SR20 turbo is always there because it seems like it's a simple upgrade away, but I'll stay with this 200HP NA for now.



      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -DD

      Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

    13. #3638
      Member fR3ZNO's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2014
      Location
      CNY
      Posts
      772

      The "you need a Miata" thread

      Is that an SR20DE then or a KA?
      Last edited by fR3ZNO; 06-17-2017 at 01:32 PM.

    14. #3639
      Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      27,310
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Gonna whore out my car and its new wheels/tires a little bit. It rides better, handles really nicely, and is a LOT quieter on the highway.
      Love them! Details?

    15. #3640
      Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      6,916
      Although I cant find the exact source of the leak without jackstands/a lift/enough planks, I can see a large quantity of coolant dripping from the engine oil pan area, and the puddle is back of the axle line. It comes out nearly as fast as I can pour it into the radiator, and there is no sign of coolant in the engine bay at all
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    16. #3641
      Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      3,206
      I think it's one of 3 things:

      Cursed water plug (if it's a 1.6)
      One of the two heater hoses

      Not much else back there on Miata motors. Inlet and outlet are both on the front of the motor.
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    17. #3642
      Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      6,916
      Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      I think it's one of 3 things:

      Cursed water plug (if it's a 1.6)
      One of the two heater hoses

      Not much else back there on Miata motors. Inlet and outlet are both on the front of the motor.
      It's a 1.8.

      Are'nt the heater hoses the 2 small hoses on the top side of the firewall, or are those the A/C hoses? Whatever it is it was coming out as soon as I added more 50/50 to the rad.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    18. #3643
      Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      1,275
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      It's a 1.8.

      Are'nt the heater hoses the 2 small hoses on the top side of the firewall, or are those the A/C hoses? Whatever it is it was coming out as soon as I added more 50/50 to the rad.
      Heater hoses are 2 rubber lines going in/out of the firewall on the driver's side. The A/C lines (not hoses) are aluminum hardlines going in/out of the firewall on the passenger side.

      10:1 you have a busted heater hose, probably caused by a leaking CAS o-ring.

    19. #3644
      Member S4cabriofox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      3,696
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Gonna whore out my car and its new wheels/tires a little bit. It rides better, handles really nicely, and is a LOT quieter on the highway. Can't wait to get the suspension on.

      What a beaut!!

      I just picked up a base '96 (stock 14" steelies and all), one owner car with 53k and no rust. Excited to get a good set of 16s and a better suspension myself.

    20. #3645
      Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      27,310
      Heading to the DMV today to get plates so I can drive it while the sun is out!

      Gave mine a wash last night and while the wheels are in good shape, they aren't perfect, a bit of pitting. I'm going to have to get in there and really scrub them up. Might be a good excuse to upgrade to some pretty 15's or 16's in the future but that's pretty far down my "wants" list at the moment.

    21. #3646
      Member cockerpunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Twin Cities MN
      Posts
      5,738
      my spec miata showed up today.

      very cool
      much excite
      wow
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

    22. #3647
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      It's been almost 2yrs since I completed the full nut & bolt restoration and engine conversion
      Looks awesome Dave! There aren't that many Nissan SR20 conversions out there. Did you do the fabrication yourself? Do you have a build thread?
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC90 - 2010 Volvo XC70 - 1991 Mazda Miata :: 2000 Aprilia RS50 - 1972 Honda CB350
      Past: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 - 2013 Volkswagen GTI - 2007 BMW 335i - 1988 BMW 635CSi - 1987 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1984 BMW 633CSi :: 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 - 1983 Yamaha YZ80

    23. #3648
      Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      27,411
      Dave your Miata is ****ing awesome.

      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Love them! Details?
      Enkei Compe in 15x8 with Yokohama S.drive in 205/50R-15.

      Quote Originally Posted by S4cabriofox View Post
      What a beaut!!
      Danke! It's not as beautiful up close and in person
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    24. #3649
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,410
      Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
      Is that an SR20DE then or a KA?
      No truck motors here. SR20de from an 2001 S15 Autech Silvia - basically, instead of the regular ~145HP this motor gets to 200HP with 11.7:1 compression, sodium filled valves, and race gas - all from the factory.


      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Looks awesome Dave! There aren't that many Nissan SR20 conversions out there. Did you do the fabrication yourself? Do you have a build thread?
      Thank you. No build thread, but yes we built everything. Literally a nut & bolt restoration where the majority of parts that went back on the car were brand new from Mazda (it pays to have a good friend working there in engineering), freshly powder coated or zinc plated. My friend that drove the project has a business doing full blown restorations on classic Datsuns using SR20 drivetrains so it was a "pretty simple 10yr project"





      There is ~1800HP in this picture and just two of the cars in this picture account for ~1000hp
      Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -DD

      Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

    25. #3650
      Member S4cabriofox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      3,696
      NA people: do you unzip your rear windows frequently? I'm a little anxious about cracking it; PO put in a custom new window for $900 last year, I don't want to have to worry about spending another $500 (or learning to sew) to have a functional window down the road. How tender do I really need to be with the thing?

    Page 146 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149 LastLast