The "you need a Miata" thread - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by dumkopf View Post
      Ugh. Some of these pics are hit and miss. I mean, painted steel wheels, 20s, really?
      Not how most of the people posting those and the others nutswinging them have *big surprise* VW's.

This is a proper Miata, you dolts:

♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

Do the NACA ducts I always see on the headlight covers do anything? Are they for cooling, or do the owners re-route the intake to take in air from the duct? I assume you'd lose that headlight though.

Quote Originally Posted by dumkopf View Post
      painted steel wheels
      The only set of painted steelies in this thread are the green ones on that slammed canibeat(youoff) car. The white ones on the other cars are SuperRAP wheels, vintage rally stuff from Japan, forged magnesium. Those cars both appear to be actual JDM Eunos Roadsters.

Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy
      Momo Start seat. My interior is exactly like this except I have a Mod 78 wheel.
      Momo are dicks for discontinuing the bottom-mount version of this seat. It was essentially the ideal Miata seat. Bolt straight to OEM sliders, low seating position, fit reasonably average sized guys, and it was dirt cheap. They still make the Start, but it's now sidemount-only, which makes it more difficult to mount. Dicks.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Quote Originally Posted by freedomweasel View Post
      Do the NACA ducts I always see on the headlight covers do anything? Are they for cooling, or do the owners re-route the intake to take in air from the duct? I assume you'd lose that headlight though.
      The airbox is right behind the driver's side headlight; the stock air intake already takes air from this part of the engine bay. The normal air path is through the fenderwell. It's documented that you get cooler air driving with headlights up in an NA, though.

You don't lose the headlight. It just replaces the cover. The headlight is not that deep.

Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      The airbox is right behind the driver's side headlight; the stock air intake already takes air from this part of the engine bay. The normal air path is through the fenderwell. It's documented that you get cooler air driving with headlights up in an NA, though.

You don't lose the headlight. It just replaces the cover. The headlight is not that deep.
      I'll have to look again, I thought the intake piping left the airbox, went toward the rear of the car a little bit, and into the fender. Does the duct just cool the area/piping resulting in lower intake temps, or does it actually result in cooler air going into the intake itself?

NACA ducts just look sweet, so I'm curious about it's effectiveness/use. I assume it's worth about 1HP either way though.

edit: Found a website that seems to belong to the owner of that car, he has some aftermarket intake stuff under the hood that answers my question.
      Last edited by freedomweasel; 09-07-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Renesis powered

I'll have to look again, I thought the intake piping left the airbox, went toward the rear of the car a little bit, and into the fender. Does the duct just cool the area/piping resulting in lower intake temps, or does it actually result in cooler air going into the intake itself?
      The OEM NA snorkel does go behind the fender a little. I assume you'd more likely use this with a cone filter and sheetmetal heat shield.

The OEM NA snorkel does go behind the fender a little. I assume you'd more likely use this with a cone filter and sheetmetal heat shield.
      My guess too.

I have a craptastic cone filter conversion kit that came with my car when I bought it. I left it on because it cancels out some sort of resonance that causes a nasty drone at some engine speeds. I think the replacement axle-back is to blame for that.

Momo are dicks for discontinuing the bottom-mount version of this seat. It was essentially the ideal Miata seat. Bolt straight to OEM sliders, low seating position, fit reasonably average sized guys, and it was dirt cheap. They still make the Start, but it's now sidemount-only, which makes it more difficult to mount. Dicks.
      Man, I couldn't agree more. I searched around and when I found this old Start, I just had to jump on it. I love the seating position...on my 120mile round trip commute, it does start to grate a bit though, but then again the OEM seats would leave me way more uncomfortable.

My only tiny gripe about the Start is that it's meant for regular sized people. I'm 6'1", 135lbs, 30" waist and I slide around in the seat a bit. Still, it has infinitely more support than the stock flatties. I used to have the Recaro SPG and it fit like a glove, but it's a (pricey) pain in the ass to get aftermarket sliders for a Miata. I'm pretty sure my Momo Start--which came with OEM rails attached--cost me about as much as it would have been to get the sliders for my SPG.

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

What do the Spec Miata guys generally use for seats?

Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      What do the Spec Miata guys generally use for seats?
      I think they mostly use the kirkley seats, or similar designs.

DCI - EAST

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Carcinogen View Post
      *massive tires and dual exit exhaust*
      V8 swap?

I think they mostly use the kirkley seats, or similar designs.
      Yep, and they bash the floorpan, cut out the welded-in factory seat mounts, and do other stuff I'd never do in a street/dual-purpose car to mount them. They also don't need to worry about clearing the interior panels.

FV-QR

What's better than one Miata? Two Miatas!

Semi-daily driver

My long-term track toy project. Nissan SR20 Autech engine, 6spd - 200HP NA

Current status: waiting for the money bush to grow again

Yep, and they bash the floorpan, cut out the welded-in factory seat mounts, and do other stuff I'd never do in a street/dual-purpose car to mount them. They also don't need to worry about clearing the interior panels.
      So the Start is still a good fit, you just need custom rails?

Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      Not how most of the people posting those and the others nutswinging them have *big surprise* VW's.

This is a proper Miata, you dolts:

i'd agree, sans the stripe. i die a little inside everytime i see a miata with stripes or teeth.
      Global Time Attack: Every second counts.
      Support your local punk & hardcore scene.
      Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      So the Start is still a good fit, you just need custom rails?
      Well, part of the problem is that custom rails are going to raise it higher than if it just sat flat on the factory rails like the old "Start 2003" model did.

A Kirkey Pro Street Drag seat or the similar Ultrasheild model can be bolted through the base to the factory rails and should fit if you get a 16" or smaller model. The Ultrashield "Spec Miata" seat doesn't fit with an interior.

It seems like the options consist of removing foam, or getting serious race seats. There don't seem to be many solutions that give you a bucket seat that's usable on the street, and a lower seating position. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

my old one - 2000 NB, evolution orange LS:

--------
      blake
      2017 Honda Civic Si sedan
      2013 Dodge Durango Citadel V8/RWD
      1962 Chevrolet C10 fleetside

Well, part of the problem is that custom rails are going to raise it higher than if it just sat flat on the factory rails like the old "Start 2003" model did.

A Kirkey Pro Street Drag seat or the similar Ultrasheild model can be bolted through the base to the factory rails and should fit if you get a 16" or smaller model. The Ultrashield "Spec Miata" seat doesn't fit with an interior.
      Excellent.

If you hadn't noticed, a seat and harnesses are on the short list.

Picked up a 1994 with 55k miles on a few months ago. She's a head turner.

I'll be in my bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Carcinogen View Post
      my lord, that's a lot of tire.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

I just bought a 92 today...so excited...pictures to come later!

But for now...moar!

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
      i'd agree, sans the stripe. i die a little inside everytime i see a miata with stripes or teeth.
      I usually agree with you, and I generally agree about striped Miatas, but this is Sharka. You do not insult sharka.

http://www.revlimiter.net/
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast