DIY: Homemade Foam Gun :)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

DIY: Homemade Foam Gun :)

So I know many of you have probably taken the spare change to buy yourselves a nice foam gun, especially if you have a black or dark colored car to minimize having to rub any type of rag or cloth on the car. ( at least I hope you have ). They're a few of us, such as my self, that do not have a $100 or so to spare on a foam gun while attending college full time ( and commuting 100 miles r.t ). Enough rambling now, basically I decided that I want to do my best to minimize swirl marks on my 2012 Deep Black Metallic Gti. So I figured my best bet would be to figure out a way to make a cheaper and still sufficiently working foam gun. My hunt lead me to the gardening section of Walmart where I ended up purchasing a Chameleon (brand) adaptable hose sprayer for a garden hose. I figure these are mostly use for spraying plants with pesticides and what not, but I really didn't think that it would actually work as a foam gun for my car. The total for the Sprayer was $9.94. I came back home, gave it a thorough cleaning and mixed a Meguiars car shampoo solution, diluted with a decent amount of water just to give it a quick run through. Well upon first pulling on the trigger, a nice stream of soapy water came out and I was thoroughly pleased with the performance of the sprayer. For bigger cars it may need to be refilled a few times with the soap solution, or a foam solution; should happen that you would have some. For me, a full bottle did the trick and then some.

*Now let me remind you that my car was washed the day before and already pretty clean, So I can't really judge the effectiveness of the sprayer at this moment. But I can tell you that for a quick spray and rinse job on simply a dusty car, that this will be very effective for me in the upcoming summer months.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys in case any of you were possibly considering the same. I am open to comments and criticism and anything in between Hopefully this has been helpful to some.

After washing my car in the series of pictures below, I also made my first attempt at sheeting with no nozzle on the hose, and I must say I am very pleased with the results.

Pictures below:

Quote Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post
      bags are for 40's
      Instagram @dbradyy

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

You sir have one hella clean GTI.....never seen one in pictures that reflective

Job well done

Let us know when the car is really dirty!

did you figure out the ratio of the meg's to water?

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by Boost Logic View Post
      . They're a few of us, such as my self, that do not have a $100 or so to spare on a foam gun while attending college full time ( and commuting 100 miles r.t ).
      But you have enough to buy bags?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-25 View Post
      But you have enough to buy bags?
      Relevance of this post to the present date, no I was in class full time. I'm sorry I only have to work a few months to make more than you pull in a quarter. Must suck to probably be a lot older than me and have less than I do...
      bags are for 40's
      Instagram @dbradyy

Quote Originally Posted by quinntendopower1 View Post
      did you figure out the ratio of the meg's to water?
      a good ratio that I have been using is 20% megs and 80% water.....have it set to use the product a quarter of the way and should last for multiple washes

Bought it.
      Tried it.
      Was average.

I have not seen an actual foam gun used in action so I can't really gauge if this does a good job or not, but I can say that it covers the car fairly well so for $10...

Currently using the 2oz selection just to put it on a little heavier. What setting are you using again?

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by Boost Logic View Post
      Relevance of this post to the present date, no I was in class full time. I'm sorry I only have to work a few months to make more than you pull in a quarter. Must suck to probably be a lot older than me and have less than I do...
      Lots of (wrong) accusations made there....must be lacking in areas.

If you made more than I do then you'd have Bi-xenon's

Quote Originally Posted by 10-25 View Post
      Lots of (wrong) accusations made there....must be lacking in areas.

If you made more than I do then you'd have Bi-xenon's
      If I wouldn't have done an air build, I'd have bi-xenons and a bigger turbo. Decided to take a different route however, my mkv r32 had a lot more than that my gti ever will so believe me I know what I'm missing.
      bags are for 40's
      Instagram @dbradyy