VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

DIY: Homemade Foam Gun :)

47K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Boost Logic 
#1 ·
So I know many of you have probably taken the spare change to buy yourselves a nice foam gun, especially if you have a black or dark colored car to minimize having to rub any type of rag or cloth on the car. ( at least I hope you have ). They're a few of us, such as my self, that do not have a $100 or so to spare on a foam gun while attending college full time ( and commuting 100 miles r.t ). Enough rambling now, basically I decided that I want to do my best to minimize swirl marks on my 2012 Deep Black Metallic Gti. So I figured my best bet would be to figure out a way to make a cheaper and still sufficiently working foam gun. My hunt lead me to the gardening section of Walmart where I ended up purchasing a Chameleon (brand) adaptable hose sprayer for a garden hose. I figure these are mostly use for spraying plants with pesticides and what not, but I really didn't think that it would actually work as a foam gun for my car. The total for the Sprayer was $9.94. I came back home, gave it a thorough cleaning and mixed a Meguiars car shampoo solution, diluted with a decent amount of water just to give it a quick run through. Well upon first pulling on the trigger, a nice stream of soapy water came out and I was thoroughly pleased with the performance of the sprayer. For bigger cars it may need to be refilled a few times with the soap solution, or a foam solution; should happen that you would have some. For me, a full bottle did the trick and then some. :thumbup::thumbup:

*Now let me remind you that my car was washed the day before and already pretty clean, So I can't really judge the effectiveness of the sprayer at this moment. But I can tell you that for a quick spray and rinse job on simply a dusty car, that this will be very effective for me in the upcoming summer months.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys in case any of you were possibly considering the same. I am open to comments and criticism and anything in between :laugh::thumbup: Hopefully this has been helpful to some.

After washing my car in the series of pictures below, I also made my first attempt at sheeting with no nozzle on the hose, and I must say I am very pleased with the results.

Pictures below: :wave:

See less See more
#8 ·
Bought it.
Tried it.
Was average.

I have not seen an actual foam gun used in action so I can't really gauge if this does a good job or not, but I can say that it covers the car fairly well so for $10... :thumbup:

Currently using the 2oz selection just to put it on a little heavier. What setting are you using again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.