VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

props to Wes_R (detailing info)

36K views 153 replies 36 participants last post by  Wes_R 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post about "Wes_R" who is a detailer in the GTA and I'm sure some of you are familar with his work. Well I experienced it first hand today!

all I have to say is WOW :eek: I'm not exaggerating. My car looked better then it did when I picked it up brand new from the dealer!!! The paint looked really deep and the BMP really popped. My side mirrors were grey - I gave up on them and was eventually going to get them painted but after Wes buffed them I really couldn't believe they were the originals. I figured with 330,000KM he had his worked cut out I guess not :laugh:

I'll post a few panel shots - unfortunately it started to rain so I don't have any of the whole car.

anyone who knows me I'm very particular with my car trust me when I say you can count on Wes to bring your cars back to life!

here is his info: (647)999-8499 or wesrobles@gmail.com. give him a call you won't regret it!

Thanks again Wes extremely happy!

Iphone pic not the best but you can see the mirror effect
hood

rear panel

See less See more
#94 ·
I love this color! From pics in magazines etc I wasn't sure how I felt about Austin Yellow, but in person it is so beautiful! This client had brought us his previous Evo X but had sold that and purchased this. It was fairly new so all that was needed was a 1 stage polish.

I really wish the sun was out for the pics to do the color justice but it is what it is.

Arrival

Claybar

Measuring the paint

Before

After

Dressing the tires

Cleaning the windows

And the finished pics

#95 ·
This client was referred to us by Autolinks as there were a few small imperfections on the hood the customer wanted addressed before applying the PPF.
To be honest I forget what number this was out of the 333 GT Spyders in the world but it was very beautiful none the less. The swirls on this were very light so no before and afters but I hope you still enjoy going through the pics.

Arrival pics

Cleaning the wheels, including the ceramic brakes

Always wash the cars using the 2 Bucket Method

Car washes include the doorjambs

Claybarring the paint with the Nanoskin Mitt

Measuring the paint

Masking off all the rubber trim and matte carbon pieces

Applied Opti Coat Primer via machine

Dressed the tires

Clean the windows

And finally the finished pics

As usual hope you enjoyed the pics!

#96 ·
Fantastic work.. love it.
but have a question -after polishing - how long will it last?
I assume after rain etc it wears?

#97 · (Edited)
Polishing is done after compounding a car or to get very light swirls/scratches out of the clearcoat. It's an abrasive and levels down the clear coat to get rid of any scratches. There is no "How long will it last" with polishing. Once a car is swirl/scratch free it is up to the owner to maintain this finish with properly washing the car with 2 bucket method, seperate bucket and mitt for wheels, quality drying tools and not touching the car when you don't have too. If there is a bit of dust on the car just let it be and don't touch it until you fully wash the car again or you risk putting swirls back into the paint. I see guys all the time cleaning there car at car shows with 1 MF towel, quick detailer and just going to town on there car. There doing more harm then good, but you'll keep guys like Wes here in business lol ;)

I think what you're thinking about is Wax/Sealants. Typically carnauba base waxes last a couple months. Sealants are a little stronger and will typically last around 5-6months, of course every product is different.

I am no pro like Wes is, I'm more of an enthusiast that enjoys detailing. Picture below is a 350Z with over 350,000km on it. The left side has been compounded and polished and the right has not. This is what compounding/polishing does. Gets rid of all the scratches in your paint to make it look like glass, this is one of the first cars I ever did. These scratches are caused by improperly washing the car, car washes etc...

#98 ·
This 507 was booked in months in advance without me getting a chance to see the condition. In the end it needed a 2 stage polish with special attention on certain areas with the claybar. It was protected with Opti Coat Pro and we were happy with the results. I love the wheels too by the way, my favorite choice out of all the options for the C63.

Arrival

Claybar

Measuring the paint

Rubber trim masked off

Before 1st stage

After 1st stage

Cleaning out polish residue out of the clear bra edge

Opti Coat Primer first

Then Opti Coat Pro next

And finally the finished pics just before sunset :)

#100 ·
Met this customer through Facebook and admired his photography for quite sometime. Was quite surprised to receive a message from him interested in our work. Long story short, into the shop in came.

Very impressed with the initial condition of the paint and found it only needed a 1 stage polish which was protected afterwards with Opti Coat Pro.

Arrival

Rubber and plastic trim all masked up

Measuring the paint

Before

After

Opti Coat Pro about it be applied

Double checking our work with a light that omits the same color as the sun

No swirls

And the finished product :)

#103 ·
This new M4 came to us in pretty good condition straight from the dealer. Other then a few light swirls that the camera couldn't pick up the paint was in great shape. Not much else to say other then enjoy the pics!

As usual the arrival pics

Paint measurements

Masking off the rubber trim

Applied Opti Coat Primer via machine

After removing the tape etc we cleaned out some polish residue with our trusty tooth pick

Opti Coat Pro

Double checking our work with a light that emits the same color light as the sun

Perfect

And finally the fruits of our labour :)

#104 ·
This was totally a coincidence that two e39 M5s came in for a 2 stage polish + Opti Coat Pro. They had both booked on the same day so I ended up doing the write up on both cars at the same time which is a first and was quite interesting to do. I was very happy with the out come on both cars as were the owners so enjoy seeing the process and final pics!

Arrival (you should have seen both owners' faces lol)

Masking off the rubber trim after the wash and clay

Taking paint measurements

Before

After

50/50 shot

Opti Coat Pro

Application

And the finished pics

I hope you enjoyed the pics as much as I enjoyed working on my favorite generation M5!

#105 ·
A long time customer recently purchased this new 4 GTS from Pfaff and wanted to get the paint protected asap. Well after 1000km in it finally came.

I must say this is one of the most beautifulest 991s we have done this year and we had a great time working on it and admiring all the little details put together on this 4 GTS.

Paint wasn't in bad shape so just a quick 1 stage polish and then protected with Opti Coat Pro.

Enjoy!

Arrival pic

Paint measurement and plastic trim masked off

Before

After

Lovely metallic flake shot

Opti Coat Pro

And the finished pics starting with reflections off the hood

Definitely looking forward to maintaining this one over the years!

#107 ·
This was a US 996 Turbo with very low mileage, to be honest I forget but I'm pretty sure it was around 30000km. Paint wasn't that bad but some of the swirls were a little deeper so a 2 stage polish was needed to correct the paint. As usual with most cars we do nowadays it was protected afterwards with Opti Coat Pro.

Hope you like the pics!

Arrival pic

Masking off the rubber trim on the moonroof and had trim it with the plastic razor to get proper coverage

Measuring the paint

Before

After

Opti Coat Pro(sorry for the blurry pic)

And the finished pics

After spending the day with this one I have to say I still like the 996 Turbo and think it's great value for the money! Now I am window shopping for a 996 Turbo S or 996 GT2 hahahaha.

#108 ·
I love this e46 M3! Laguna Seca Blue on Laguna Seca Blue seats and navi! What more could you ask for.

The shine on this M3 was still great but the swirls in the sun was annoying the client and he wanted to get as much of the swirls out as possible. We ended up doing a 2 stage polish which brought the paint condition to about a 9 out of 10 minus the deeper scratches.

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as we enjoyed polishing this one!

Arrival

Paint measurements

Before

After

50/50 shot

And the finished product :)

#109 ·
Very good client contacted me regarding a 2 stage polish + Opti Coat Pro on his recently purchased Lp640.

We had tried to schedule an appointment prior to this one but due to rainy weather we had to reschedule and he mentioned that maybe he was considering postponing the detail until the springtime, which is understandable. Luckily :D... he had a change of heart and we were able to schedule a date where the weather worked in our favour!

So in to the shop it came!

As usual, the arrival pic

After cleaning the wheels, 2 Bucket Method wash, and clay bar, we masked the rubber trim

Next up was to take measurements of the paint with our special paint depth gauge which measures via ultrasound due to a few panels not being made of steel or aluminium. This gauge is not cheap at all and costed us $3000

These are the results of the 1st stage of polishing

Before

After(did I mention that solid black is a pain in the a**?!)

Headlights & Taillights were polished as well

Before

After

2nd stage of polishing was completed and then an alcohol wipe down to remove the polishing oils. Finally Opti Coat Primer applied to prepare for the Opti Coat Pro application

Tape removed and little details such as removing polish with a tooth pick from the edge of the stone guard was performed

And finally the star of the show, Opti Coat Pro

A shot in the sun to show no more swirls in the paint

All in all minus some deeper scratches which I suspect may have been from people leaning on the car for pics and the fact that it is solid black, I would say we got the paint condition to about an 8.5/9 out of 10.

Here are the results

I love reflection pics

The lens flare pointing at the car is pretty cool

And the last pic to finish the walk around

Hope you enjoyed the pics!!!

#112 ·
We had spoken to this client while we were polishing the 991 GT3 in Vancouver. He had a few vehicles he was taking delivery of and wanted to protect them all with Opti Coat Pro.

This was the Golf R that literally came directly from the dealership. It had very light swirling and a 1 stage polish was all that was needed to clean it up.

Arrival pic

Only 107km on the odometer

Cleaning the wheels

Measuring the paint to make sure there were no surprises

Before

After

Removing the masking tape

Opti Coat Pro

And the finished pics

#113 ·
We had spoken to this client a few weeks prior to this detail and he had actually referred a Bentley to us earlier in the spring.

The car was fairly new and well taken care of so the paint was not in bad shape at all. A 1 stage polish was all that was needed to clean up the light swirls which then was protected with Opti Coat Pro afterwards.

Arrival

Claybarring the paint

Taking measurements

Masking up the plastic and rubber trim

Then on to polishing the paint

Before

After

After the polishing Opti Coat Primer was applied to the paint

Via machine

Then Opti Coat Pro applied

And finally the finished pics starting with a reflection on the hood

Hope you liked the pics on this track monster!

#114 ·
I had talked to this client for quite sometime now regarding his other vehicles like an e39 M5(which was sold) and an e30 M3. We had never gotten a chance to book a solid date but stayed in contact over the years. He had recently purchased this new Sprint Blue RS4 and was planning to drive it year round and wanted to protect it with Opti Coat Pro. The car was brought in for a consultation and we finally booked a date!

Arrival

After cleaning the wheels and a car wash we claybarred the paint

Took some paint measurements

And finally we started with the 1st stage of polishing

Before

After

A 50/50 shot

The metallic flake in the Sprint Blue started to really POP again!

We also polished the headlights and taillights

Before

After

After all the polishing Opti Coat Primer was applied

Unmasking

Then cleaning all the little details like removing polish from the edge of the stone guard

Then finally Opti Coat Pro is applied

And here are the afters

Always a pleasure to work on an RS and glad we could bring this Sprint Blue back to life!

#115 ·
We had been looking forward to this Lava Orange 991 GT3RS for quite sometime. We maintain this clients other RS's as well so we knew about this one for almost a year now.

Not really much else to say, got the call Saturday evening and it was in the shop by Wednesday :)

Arrival

Cleaning the wheels

Masking off the rubber and plastic trim

The whole front end is carbon fibre so we had to bring out our ultrasound paint gauge to measure the paint

Underneath the hood

Ultrasound measurements

Magnetic measurements

And on to polishing the paint.

There was already close to 5000km on the odometer so the paint had some light swirls to polish out before applying Opti Coat Pro.

Before

After

Before

After

The taillights were polished as well

Before

After

After the 2nd stage of polishing was completed we applied Opti Coat Primer via machine to the paint

We unmasked the trim and took care of some finishing touches like cleaning up the polishing dust and cleaning polish from the edge of the stone guard with a tooth pick

And finally applied Opti Coat Pro

Overcast day so the gloss was not photographing the best it could be, but still happy with the finished pics!

And the icing on the cake.... an autograph under the hood from Wolfgang Porsche!!!

Hope you enjoyed the pics as much as we enjoyed working on the car!

Thanks!

#116 ·
Happy New Year!

We were contacted by this client to detail this rare fire orange M3,1 of 2 I believe in Toronto, for storage. When it came in to the shop and upon inspection we came to the conclusion that it definitely needed a 2 stage polish as the paint was in rough condition. Anyways onto the polishing.

Arrival

Claybarring the paint

Measuring the paint

Masking off the rubber and plastic trim

Finally with all the prep done we started the compounding

Before

After

Before

After

Before (the trunk was in horrible shape with buffer trails everywhere)

After (there was a deeper scratch that was to deep to come out)

50/50 shot

Headlights and taillights were polished as well

Before

After

After all the compounding and polishing Opti Coat Primer was applied

Then Opti Coat Pro was applied

Here is the result of all our hard work starting with a sun shot

And finally my favourite shot

All the best in 2016!

#117 ·
It was a huge pleasure to work on this classic R33 Skyline and in Midnight Purple too! We ended up performing a 2 stage polish on the paint and protecting it afterwards with Opti Gloss Coat. Ran into a small complication with the paint being fairly thin in some areas and couldn't get as aggressive as we would like to but everything turned out great regardless.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Arrival

Cleaning the wheels

2 Bucket car wash

Claybarring the paint with the Nanoskin mitt

And measuring the paint. This is one of the lower areas earlier mentioned

Before

After

50/50 shot

After the polishing was completed we cleaned out the left over polish out of the tighter areas with our trusty tooth pick

And finally Opti Gloss Coat is applied

Now for the finished pics

I tried to get a sun shot to show the flake but it had already set to far. This is the best I could do.

Hope you enjoyed the pics on this R33 Godzilla!

#119 ·
This GT-R came in for a promotion we were having in January. I spoke briefly to the client about a few areas of concern over the phone and then we both agreed that weather permitting it would come in for a 2 stage polish + Opti Gloss Coat. Luckily everything worked out and surprisingly the client didn't live to far away from the shop.

Arrival

Claybarring the paint

Measuring the paint

Onto the 1st stage of polishing

Before

After

Metallic flake popping again

Opti Gloss Coat about to be applied

And the final results!

#121 ·
Had a chance to asses this S5 last year but due to scheduling on both our ends things didn't pan out. But this year the client wanted to get it done before our busy season hit so in it came for March and received our 2 stage polish with Opti Gloss Coat as protection.

Arrival

Cleaning the wheels while we had a chance to chat with the customer while he waited for his ride

Claybarring the paint

Measuring the paint and found no panels that were repainted

The paint was in pretty rough shape so we had to hit it with a compound for the 1st stage

before

after (as you can see the compound removed the swirls but left a haze behind due to it's aggressiveness)

After the 1st stage we refined the paint with a lighter cutting polish on the 2nd stage to remove the haze as well as leave a deep gloss

before

after

After all the polishing was completed we began the finishing prep

Removing the masking tape

And cleaning polish that had gotten in the parking sensors with a tooth pick

Then protected the new finish with Opti Gloss Coat which lasts for 2 years

And here are the final shots. Unfortunately no sun was out but hopefully you can still see the gloss achieved.

And the last pic

Hope you enjoyed the pics and looking forward to seeing some of you this driving season!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.