De Tomaso Pantera GTS vs. Porsche 930
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

De Tomaso Pantera GTS vs. Porsche 930

I've currently been looking around some 80's icons. Any TCL experience with either of these beasts? I'm not too interested in the slant-nose 930s.

I really don't like the 930 but love the Pantera.

Pantera without a doubt

stay in drugs, eat school, and don't do vegetables
      permanent vacation

Quote Originally Posted by BltByKrmn View Post
      love the Pantera.
      Quote Originally Posted by mavric_ac View Post
      Pantera without a doubt
      Another vote for the Pantera and I love the 930, I just prefer the Pantera.

Hmm, cobbled together Italian/american bastard or the height of german engineering for its day?
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      Hmm, cobbled together Italian/american bastard or the height of german engineering for its day?
      Indeed. Pantera all the way!

Pantera solos.
      Jerk It with Luigi.

Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Too many people will accuse the Pantera of being a kit car since De Tomaso didn't manufacture their own engine I remember back in the early 70's when they were selling them in Lincoln Mercury dealerships.

pantera, mmmmhhmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      Too many people will accuse the Pantera of being a kit car since De Tomaso didn't manufacture their own engine
      Which is a good thing. That mentality is keeping the prices down.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeltowheel View Post
      I've currently been looking around some 80's icons. Any TCL experience with either of these beasts? I'm not too interested in the slant-nose 930s.
      If you're ruling out the best looking 911 ever (the slant nose) then Pantera all the way
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

930 all day.

Quote Originally Posted by a2a4raddo View Post
      930 all day.
      x2
      Current: 2006 Acura CSX, 1996 Porsche 911 C2
      Gone: 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade (375,000 kms), 2007 VW GTI (BMP), 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition, 1994 Ford Ranger (calipso green), 1987 Jeep YJ

Americans, Pantera, in Italy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mach700 View Post
      In the absence of Wars, people become lazy and sex slaves (not everybody).

As much as I love porsche's, Panter wins in this

Is this real life?

I love the 930, but just look at the Pantera...

Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Is this real life?

I love the 930, but just look at the Pantera...
      On a visual standpoint alone, the Pantera hands down. Hands down to the muthafuggin ground.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeltowheel View Post

930 with RUF modifications.

Too many people will accuse the Pantera of being a kit car since De Tomaso didn't manufacture their own engine I remember back in the early 70's when they were selling them in Lincoln Mercury dealerships.
      There were other Italian marques that did this, the Iso Grifo and Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada being two well known examples. So it's kind of a thing. No one who knows anything would refer to any of these including the Pantera a kit car.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      There were other Italian marques that did this, the Iso Grifo and Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada being two well known examples. So it's kind of a thing. No one who knows anything would refer to any of these including the Pantera a kit car.
      No, but many dismiss them as lesser cars than Lamborghini, Maseraties and Ferraris of the same vintage.

In for price difference....

I approve this thread.

And vote Pantera for making a 500-600hp monster out of cheap mail order catalogs.

I really don't know a whole lot about the Pantera except for what I've read in articles about them over the years. I will say, there's a small collection of them that gathers occasionally on the south side of Indianapolis and I can't stress enough that pictures simply do not do the car justice. I've seen crowds of people around these cars while 60's Shelby Mustangs sit like jealous siblings next to them. These cars are truly stunning. Again, I don't know what they're like to drive, never been in a ride in one, but 3 things always strike me about the Pantera :

1.) The inside of the car is not just gorgeous but it's also timeless. I absolutely love the interior of this car. It's extremely inviting, I love the gauges, I love the layout, I even love the nod to the C2 radio layout. Seats, steering wheel, buttons, I wouldn't change a thing if I owned one. Damn, just look at it!

2.) The engine bay is MASSIVE in this car. Every time I look at the rear opened up, my mind stars racing and I start wondering what the biggest engine you could fit in this car would be but aside from that I just love the way the engine sits back there, it just looks so awesome.

I can't link the image but check out this one - he stuck a 514 c.i. crate motor in it - I cannot imagine how much fun that thing must be!

3.) The last thing that gets me about the Pantera is the amount of presence it has. No matter how many times I see a Pantera, if it's stopped, I have to take a look at it. I always kick myself for forgetting my camera but even after all these years, damn, it's a gorgeous car. To me the Pantera is just one of those "it" cars. It looked stunning when it first came out and all these years later, it stills makes you weak in the knees!

930 is one of my favorite cars of all time

but i would probably go with a pantera, just based on how much cheaper it must be to keep running

FV-QR

Pantera

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

930 all day but either way get ready to shell out some $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      Reliable V8 'murican torks and Italian coachwork trump a squashed beetle every time.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

I'd go 930. The Pantera is a sweet car but the interior and refinement of the 930 is much better. I've never driven a Pantera but from what I understand they don't handle that well. Pantera production was also very low compared to 930 and some transaxle parts are getting difficult to source.

Street Life.
      Last edited by patrickvr6; 09-16-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Reliable V8 'murican torks and Italian coachwork trump a squashed beetle every time.

Pantera, but only if '71-'74 and with the campagnolos . the 4sp 930s too. Two awesome cars.
      '86 Jaguar xj-s 5.3HE coupe, cobalt blue metallic/blue
      '08 Hyundai Accent SE hatch, ice blue/gray
      Bisixually disposed, lucas charged and coventry clothed

Many people accuse the panteras of being a kit car due to the horrible build quality and poor reliability. Those cars selling at Lincoln stores were braking down before they ever reached customers hands.

Quote Originally Posted by tasty danish View Post
      I approve this thread.

And vote Pantera for making a 500-600hp monster out of cheap mail order catalogs.
      Most painteras sold in the u.s. made less then 300hp. The later grey market cars were Morton the 300-400hp range. Their most potent euro version made 450-500hp iirc. Those are the cars built in the 90's.

I believe the most powerful pantera was the pantera 200. It made 530@5500 out of a twin turboed(7psi) 5780cc SBF in a 3200LB car.
      '86 Jaguar xj-s 5.3HE coupe, cobalt blue metallic/blue
      '08 Hyundai Accent SE hatch, ice blue/gray
      Bisixually disposed, lucas charged and coventry clothed

Pantera all the way. I prefer the early '71 and '72 though. High compression 351 Cleveland rules.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast