The 'you need an E36' thread - Page 54
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556 LastLast
    Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1379
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      The block was not warped. There was scoring where the HG blew between 5 and 6.
      There were marks from sanding there before, therefore my mechanic said its likely there was some improper fix of the HG before being that it blew in the same spot. I certainly don't know enough to disagree with you, just doing my best to interpret and explain what was told to me. Just like your situation, my mechanic has build plenty of race engines, done multiple euro swaps into these cars, owns about 10 e30 m3s, a few e36s, 2002s, etc, so I'm 100% confident in his work and his thoughts behind the reasons for the issue.
      Either way HG explosion made me sad, and the car being fixed has made me very happy. That was 3 years ago now. I still have the intention of an s54 swap somewhere along the lines with the car, but trying to save for a 964, 80s 911 or e30 m3, has made it hard to budget these things.
      That makes a lot of sense, actually. Sucks that they hid it from you.

The seller of my car almost lost the sale on his car because he was selling an S54-swapped M3 sedan on consignment for $9k IIRC. If I had the $9k I would have taken that car instead of his

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      That makes a lot of sense, actually. Sucks that they hid it from you.

The seller of my car almost lost the sale on his car because he was selling an S54-swapped M3 sedan on consignment for $9k IIRC. If I had the $9k I would have taken that car instead of his
      That's like a free engine swap... S54 is an awesome motor. I hope one day I can get one as well. If not maybe S52 turbo... but I think the S54 is a more stout engine when it comes to performance. The S52's do tend to have cooling/HG issues.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

I bought one

Sorry for the dirty car and the crappy pic, but I just got it 2 days ago, and the weather is pretty ****ty...

Anyway; 1994 Alpina B3 3.0, manual, 93000kms

Nice What are the chances there would be two B3 3.0s on this board, and both Hellrot? Is that #178? I'd love to see more pictures...

Here's mine:

love this machine

welcome to the layer cake

Here's my sled
      [IMG][/IMG]
      1997 328i
      2015 GTi Autobahn
      2016 Camry se

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
      Nice What are the chances there would be two B3 3.0s on this board, and both Hellrot? Is that #178? I'd love to see more pictures...
      Thanks - and yes, it's #178. The chances for two hellrot B3s are pretty slim I'd say; the Alpina-archive lists 192 of the 359 produced, and only 5 are Hellrot. It wasn't love at first sight, but now I think Hellrot is pretty much a perfect color for a B3

Apart from a few stone chips in the front and on the hood, it's in pretty good shape. I just passed 93000kms yesterday

Small upgrade under the hood...

Changed out the OBD2 plastic VC for the Magnesium OBD1 VC with some fresh wrinkle black.

So far no more leaks with the Magnesium cover which I am super happy about. The plastic cover was probably warping from the heat of the WG (upper gate is really close to the VC right by one of the bolts).

SCHNELL ENGINEERING · BLOG · STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      That's like a free engine swap... S54 is an awesome motor. I hope one day I can get one as well. If not maybe S52 turbo... but I think the S54 is a more stout engine when it comes to performance. The S52's do tend to have cooling/HG issues.
      The M50/52 makes for a better turbo project
      Brad Beardow
      fifteen52

Where did everybody go?!
      Untitled by Chris West, on Flickr
      Untitled by Chris West, on Flickr
      Picked this up so I could take the risers. Wing will be going to a friend. All OEM.

98 m3
      99.9k and about to officially become worthless.
      Technoviolet/anthrazit cloth

My buddy changed some things up on his GTS2 racecar over the winter. Flares, 18x10 with 255s all around, and back to one color after some repairs from last season that resulted in a multicolored car for a while haha

Apparently lost his splitter mid race haha
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

The 'you need an E36' thread

Delete
      Last edited by nopreppies; 06-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Picked up another one after I sold my 318 swapped one which had no issues of course for one that does.

97 - 5spd
      M50 manifold
      Full bimmerworld 3" race exhaust
      Megan coilovers
      Kirk cage

Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      My buddy changed some things up on his GTS2 racecar over the winter. Flares, 18x10 with 255s all around, and back to one color after some repairs from last season that resulted in a multicolored car for a while haha

Apparently lost his splitter mid race haha

That is one awesome looking track car. I think the Hard motorsport flares are the best solution for 'wide body' application, especially functional race cars.
      OSD#2

Quote Originally Posted by nopreppies View Post
      Picked up another one after I sold my 318 swapped one which had no issues of course for one that does.
      Those M Contour (Style 23) wheels look good with the Nogaro silver centers.
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC90 - 2010 Volvo XC70 - 1991 Mazda Miata :: 2000 Aprilia RS50 - 1972 Honda CB350
      Past: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 - 2013 Volkswagen GTI - 2007 BMW 335i - 1988 BMW 635CSi - 1987 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1984 BMW 633CSi :: 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 - 1983 Yamaha YZ80

Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      Where did everybody go?!
      Still here... driving...

SCHNELL ENGINEERING · BLOG · STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS

Drove my E36 for the first time this week. My buddy's Civic with blown rear shocks was making me car sick. My wife's Mazda3 pulled dog duty a few times this week. Finally, I got to Friday, and it's raining, but I don't care. I'm back behind the wheel of the car I'm meant to be driving. Driving it just gives you that nice, familiar sense of what a car is supposed to feel like.

I goddamn love this car.

Fellow E36ers: What do you like for replacement rotors and brake pads? No big brake kits, I'm staying stock-ish and the car is street only.

I had ATE Powerslots, Hawk HPS pads, and ATE Super 200 fluid on mine, and I really liked the combination.
      welcome to the layer cake

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      Fellow E36ers: What do you like for replacement rotors and brake pads? No big brake kits, I'm staying stock-ish and the car is street only.
      Centric premium high carbon (stoptech) with PFC Z rated pads. And I think I went with redline fluid. From Bimmerworld
      OSD#2

Just replaced mine with Zimmerman rotors and Hawk HP+ pads. I had wanted to run the PFC Z-rated, but they were out of stock on Bimmerworld at the time, so I bought the Hawks, which are slightly more expensive. The rotors came from FCP Euro.

I'm tempted to go with this kit, as it seems to be such a good value. Anyone have experience with Meyle rotors? I've liked the Pagid pads I've had in the past.

https://www.bavauto.com/rbk-e36-m

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Just replaced mine with Zimmerman rotors and Hawk HP+ pads. I had wanted to run the PFC Z-rated, but they were out of stock on Bimmerworld at the time, so I bought the Hawks, which are slightly more expensive. The rotors came from FCP Euro.
      How do those HP+ pads do on the street? I thought they were more of a track pad.

How do those HP+ pads do on the street? I thought they were more of a track pad.
      They're OK. I've got a little less than 1,000 street miles on them now. Some noise, but less so than the PFC track pads that were on it before. Initial bite is good. Dust levels seem comparable to the PFC's, which is a little disappointing. It's about 7/8's the pad in terms of performance, for less than half the price.

The only criticism I've heard of the Hawks is that the fade curve is very steep during heavy track use. That is, they won't progressively fade out over the course of a stint at a track with heavy braking usage, rather they will fade out quickly, which can cause an off-track excursion. At this point, its hearsay to me, I haven't personally experienced it. Nor does it seem to be an issue with autocross, which is what this car is most likely to do in near future. I do plan on doing some HPDE with this car, but I'm not at the point where I need to worry about heavy track use, so when I get to that point, I'll pop for the $500+ brake pads. FCP has lifetime replacement on the brake rotors, so I'm covered there

What about OEM pads?
      I like my ferrodo ds2500s from a braking perspective, but living with them sucks. SO NOISY AND DUSTY. ****. Using Motul RBF600, and probably due for another flush.
      On a separate note, installed my OEM risers today.
      DSC_0712 by Chris West, on Flickr
      DSC_0713 by Chris West, on Flickr
      98 m3
      99.9k and about to officially become worthless.
      Technoviolet/anthrazit cloth

Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556 LastLast