I finished putting together my motor (Turbo Datsun content) - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 789
    1. #26
      Member BattleRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2007
      Location
      Albany, NY
      Posts
      8,007
      See, I'm a little afraid of falling victim to that. There is a set if wheels I really want for my Porsche, but I don't see them having much of an effect on the rest of my build...
      2005 Subaru Forester X/1980 Honda CM400E/1987 Porsche 944S

      BattleRabbit takes Pictures!

    2. #27
      Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      19,850
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      I expect to be around the 230-240whp range
      Are you planning on putting the car on a dyno?

      That number whp seems ambitious to me. A little more than that at the crank maybe with anything i've looked at in the past with generic L6 turbo setups, unless i'm greatly overlooking something in your build.

      Looking forward to seeing this wrapped up though.

    3. #28
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Are you planning on putting the car on a dyno?

      That number whp seems ambitious to me. A little more than that at the crank maybe with anything i've looked at in the past with generic L6 turbo setups, unless i'm greatly overlooking something in your build.

      Looking forward to seeing this wrapped up though.


      Oh yeah, it's going to have to be dyno'd. There's no other way to tune the car.

      But I don't feel these numbers are ambitious at all.

      That being said, they are most definitely on the mid to upper range of what the stock turbo and injectors can handle safely.

      Here is a dyno sheet from one of the other HybridZ members. He was using the following set up. to make 250/320tq

      Essentially my setup exactly.

      L28ET
      STOCK turbo
      'A' cam
      Evo 8 IC w/2.25" piping
      n42 intake
      MSA downpipe to 3" mandrel bent exhaust with summit racing brand turbo muffler
      Kameari 1mm HG
      MS2 v3
      LS1 truck coils



      His motor is also running a much lower compression (originally 7.3:1 now coupled with the 1mm head gasket)

      My motor is 8.3:1 compression, which will make some difference, but it will entirely depend on the tune.

    4. #29
      Car is looking great! Can I make a suggestion on the engine styling? You can tell me to stuff it. I really like the painted engine but I think the intercooler tubing and silicone couplers look out of place with the vintage of the car and the engine and it reminds me of ebay turbo kits:


      It'd be cool to either bead blast them and paint them a duller aluminum color or black. And then throw in some nomex couplers? Making it more old school would really match the rest of the car.

    5. #30
      Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      19,850
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      Essentially my setup exactly.
      'A' cam
      n42 intake
      Kameari 1mm HG
      MS2 v3
      Yeah, those pieces there are what`s going to make it happen.

      If all else fails just throw a bigger snail on it.

      I`ll probably wait until mine blows up before I source another head and build an NA stroker.

    6. #31
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberchad View Post
      Car is looking great! Can I make a suggestion on the engine styling? You can tell me to stuff it. I really like the painted engine but I think the intercooler tubing and silicone couplers look out of place with the vintage of the car and the engine and it reminds me of ebay turbo kits:


      It'd be cool to either bead blast them and paint them a duller aluminum color or black. And then throw in some nomex couplers? Making it more old school would really match the rest of the car.

      It's funny you mentioned that! Haha, because I also HATE the blue couplers, and the aluminum piping. They are both extremely tacky to me. I just got a hell of a deal on them, and I couldn't pass it up. I think I got the couplers all for around 30 bucks.

      My goals for the intercooler piping, after I adjust the fitment, is to have the piping powdercoated crinkle black, and swap over to black couplers. I still need to weld my bov flange and GM IAT sensor to the piping first, though.

      But man. Every day I go out to the garage I tempt myself to spend the 100 bucks and buy the black couplers, but I can't justify it for a non running vehicle, just yet.

      Thank you for bringing this point up, as I do NOT intend on keeping the setup looking this way.

    7. #32
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Okay, so today I began figuring out how I was going to get fuel where it needs to go.

      I changed the routing of my fuel feed line to now feed from behind my motor. Originally the feed ran parallel with the return (the silver hard line that runs along the passenger side of the engine bay).

      And, since I changed my fuel rail, I also needed to find a new place for my fuel pressure regulator.

      For reference, the stock location for original fuel pressure regulator can be seen in the following picture, nestled within the trombone like design of the stock fuel rail. (stock L28et)



      So....I decided to mount it to the front of the motor, I'm not 100% on if I will be satisfied with it here, but I thought it was a pretty clever, and almost OEM looking spot. The only issue I see is potentially vibration. Maybe I'm over thinking it. But anyway, I think it will work out pretty well. and the placement of the return line is PERFECT.

      Oh, I made some hard lines too, I think they give it a really clean look. The following is a merely a mock up, I still have to run a filter before the injectors, and make small little tweaks to the layout, but this is the idea.





      And here you can clearly see the route





      Other than that, not much to report.

    8. #33
      Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      19,850

      I finished putting together my motor (Turbo Datsun content)

      Clean work.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

    9. #34
      Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      trendy homeless camp, OR
      Posts
      39,418
      interesting color choice.. looks really clean though


      dont see too many people mocking up plumbing and intercoolers outside of the car

    10. #35
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      22,992

      I finished putting together my motor (Turbo Datsun content)

      Looks fantastic. And kudos to you for learning so much as you build this car. I was lucky to install an alternator in one of my cars without burning the car down when I was your age. Seriously impressed by the bodywork in particular.

    11. #36
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Hey thanks for the compliments guys! And yeah, I take great pride in my body work; considering I was 18 when I painted the car. I can't wait to repaint it though, and fix all of my mistakes. I've learned so much since then.

      But lately I've been waiting for parts....

      I have a rebuilt, 0 miles, 1983 280zx close ratio 5 speed coming via Greyhound in a couple of days, and some random goodies are expected soon as well.

      In the meantime though, my radiator arrived so I could at least fool around with that, and make sure the intercooler piping fits correctly.

      Just a Champion 3 row.



      Installed to test fitment.
















      More surely to come.

    12. #37
      Member stevegolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2003
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      3,490
      Looks great! A 240z has been on my want list forever.
      Current Stable: 11 CC, 94 NSX
      Gone but not Forgotten: 88 M5, 69 MG, 98 Golf, 07 GTI, 10 CC, 13 Mustang GT, 90 Miata Turbo, 99 528iT, 87 325is, 58 Lincoln Premiere

      DIYautoFTW Your online build and DIY resource

    13. #38
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2006
      Location
      doylestown, pa
      Posts
      746
      awesome!


      but why not get an intercooler with both ends on 1 side?

    14. #39
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rolleyes View Post
      awesome!


      but why not get an intercooler with both ends on 1 side?
      Thanks,

      The reason for not using a same side intercooler is because I don't want to cut a 2.25" diameter hole in the otherwise unmolested radiator support.

      The intercooler piping runs through already existing OEM holes in the support that originally were used as vents to the engine bay. A most fortunate placement if you ask me.

      Thanks guys

    15. #40
      Banned 20aeman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2006
      Posts
      9,233
      That's a lot of displacement for such a small turbo. I'd throw a 30r on it, and call it a day.

    16. #41
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      That's a lot of displacement for such a small turbo. I'd throw a 30r on it, and call it a day.
      Yep that is absolutely my intention once I set up megasquirt and tune the car on the stock injectors/turbo.

      I am planning on upgrading to either SVO 370 injectors or some Supra 440s along with a Garrett GT3076r or perhaps a GT28 for low lag and high efficiency.

      But in all honesty, I think I'm really going to like the little .48ar t3.

      And that said....I'm not looking to make record power with the motor. I simply want the best horsepower to traction ratio I can create. I have a feeling that this car with 250whp at 2200 pounds will be EXTREMELY fun to drive.

    17. #42
      Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      40,373
      MAAAAAAD


    18. #43
      Member DerSpiegel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2008
      Location
      World's #6 Economy
      Posts
      2,770
      This build is bloody proper.


    19. #44
      Banned 20aeman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2006
      Posts
      9,233
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      Yep that is absolutely my intention once I set up megasquirt and tune the car on the stock injectors/turbo.

      I am planning on upgrading to either SVO 370 injectors or some Supra 440s along with a Garrett GT3076r or perhaps a GT28 for low lag and high efficiency.

      But in all honesty, I think I'm really going to like the little .48ar t3.

      And that said....I'm not looking to make record power with the motor. I simply want the best horsepower to traction ratio I can create. I have a feeling that this car with 250whp at 2200 pounds will be EXTREMELY fun to drive.
      T3 makes great power for what it is....and you'll have plenty of tractable power in the mid range.

      I'm one of those guys that loves to make power to redline...so the setup would irk me some. But different strokes for different folks. Great build!

    20. #45
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,640
      You in no way need it, but have, my total approval.

      This is coming along nicely... And quickly!

      I wish I could move faster on my projects, but life, the business and family obligations get in the way of more "unrequired" pursuits. Keep up the good work!

      Since it was brought up and I apparently missed it, how old is "OldAndyAndTheSea"? Your taste indicates you're my age (40s) but it sounds like you're much younger. Sorry, of course you're more than welcome to tell me that it's none of my business.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    21. #46
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      You in no way need it, but have, my total approval.

      This is coming along nicely... And quickly!

      I wish I could move faster on my projects, but life, the business and family obligations get in the way of more "unrequired" pursuits. Keep up the good work!

      Since it was brought up and I apparently missed it, how old is "OldAndyAndTheSea"? Your taste indicates you're my age (40s) but it sounds like you're much younger. Sorry, of course you're more than welcome to tell me that it's none of my business.
      Thank you good sir,

      And I am 23.

      I really like teaching myself things, and I genuinely prefer older styles of transport in most regards. Except for sailboats, those need to be modern, and fast (I coach/instruct and race sailboats; another passion, another story....) I have also restored classic Lyman runabouts, one of which I still own. I don't know why, I just prefer the old stuff, with added modern advantages of course, if need be

      Older stuff, on average, just has more character. The drive is more "real" to me. As cliche as that sounds, I'll stick to it.

    22. #47
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,640
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      Thank you good sir,

      And I am 23.

      I really like teaching myself things, and I genuinely prefer older styles of transport in most regards. Except for sailboats, those need to be modern, and fast (I coach/instruct and race sailboats; another passion, another story....) I have also restored classic Lyman runabouts, one of which I still own. I don't know why, I just prefer the old stuff, with added modern advantages of course, if need be

      Older stuff, on average, just has more character. The drive is more "real" to me. As cliche as that sounds, I'll stick to it.
      I understand completely. Well, the sailboats are out of my wheelhouse, but I can respect and admire the tech, subtlety and skills required for such an endeavor as racing sailboats.

      I have a fascination for cars my age and older. Yeah, there are plenty of newer cars I like quite a bit, but it's the post WWII through gas crisis cars that call to me the most. It really comes together in the '60s for me.

      Give me good electronic ignition on any 12-volt car, though!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    23. #48
      Member stascom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2009
      Location
      So. Oregon
      Posts
      5,489
      This is awesome

    24. #49
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 6th, 2012
      Location
      Northern NY (Eastern Lake Ontario)
      Posts
      1,376
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I understand completely. Well, the sailboats are out of my wheelhouse, but I can respect and admire the tech, subtlety and skills required for such an endeavor as racing sailboats.

      I have a fascination for cars my age and older. Yeah, there are plenty of newer cars I like quite a bit, but it's the post WWII through gas crisis cars that call to me the most. It really comes together in the '60s for me.

      Give me good electronic ignition on any 12-volt car, though!

      All I have to say is "cheers"

      We clearly are on the same page. You couldn't have said it better.



      Thank you my friend.

    25. #50
      Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,640
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      All I have to say is "cheers"

      We clearly are on the same page. You couldn't have said it better.



      Thank you my friend.


      I'll be watching the build with interest.

      I had a rhd 2-liter Fairlady Z about 15-20 years ago, but I couldn't finish the project. It was a doozy, but went to a good home (in New York State, I might add!) and I hope it's gotten the restoration it deserved. The rhd dash pad was even perfect. Mechanically it was a basket case, bit was pretty solid overall. I'd love another Z some day.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast