I finished putting together my motor (Turbo Datsun content) - Page 32
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132
      Still chasing brake system leaks......The new master is leaking at the adapters for my OEM metric brake lines.....so I'm going to swap in the 3/16 sae fittings - remake the lines (2x 12" sections) - and reinstall..

Other than that...I've been busy.

CVs are installed.

Differential is filled.

I wrestled with the tail light panels.

"perfect fit" ...yeah....okay.

After some chopping...

I was able to get them mounted. These will work for now, but I'll probably make a set more to my standards.

I confirmed timing, and installed the nice valve cover, coils, and other remaining engine components.

The car fired right up, but is still running very lean, and hunting at idle. Looks just like a vacuum leak.....But, I've taken the intake manifold off a couple times, and believe that it is not a vacuum leak, but instead just insufficient fueling..When I rev the car, the mixture enriches, and will rev very strong and responsive. No hesitation. Only at idle does it hunt......But the serial to usb cable I use to communicate to megasquirt died, and my laptop won't keep a battery charge off of the charger, so I am waiting on some goodies from EFI Analytics - A bluetooth transmitter to transmit automatically to the Shadow Dash app on my tablet. So that's cool. Not as cool as an idling car, but pretty cool nonetheless. It'll be nice not being limited by 2 feet of usb cable.

So once I fix the leak(s) the next step is to test that the driveline works. Currently, I can't get the car in first. I guess I need to investigate the slave cylinder hydraulics.

In other, less car related, news I painted the garage. And remade some Whaler pieces that I broke, stupidly, last summer. Getting all the boats ready for Spring.

My brother and I broke the seat back on our Whaler last season. He went airborne and fell into the seat back, snapping it off at the handle holes....This was on its maiden voyage of last year.

So this has bugged the **** out of me since I restored the console.

The old epoxied piece that got me through last season. I used this as a jig for the router.

I bought a beautiful 10' long solid mahogany plank and used it as the stock for both a seat back, and a replacement (non plywood) bow locker hatch.

No more handle holes. Or as I call it, "fall into proof"

Bow locker replacement. Unique looking grain. I like it.

Chris Craft Mahogany filler stain

And then 6 coats of Epifanes varnish. The first coat is thinned 50% with brushing liquid. The second is thinned 25% and the final coats are thinned at around 10%. The last coat is thinned at 50% once again to really flow nice. Sanded with 220-320 between coats.

still need to tuck those wires...

Next: the whole boat needs a buff, and Ptef treatment. Then she is getting launched. Not too shabby for being 47 years old. Gotta love a classic.

Also, I was given a drone! So look forward to seeing some drone stuff. This will make my sailing and car videos much better.

The following video is garbage, literally my first flight, in whatever lighting was available. Mainly a test of the gimbal, which works really well. I've learned so much since this. Very fun!

so stay tuned for that!
      Last edited by OldAndyAndTheSea; 04-16-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Might be a stupid question about the brake lines, but are you 100% sure the flares and nuts you are using are all the right size and style? DIN/ISO flare, SAE bubble flare, SAE double flare, etc.

I had a hell of a time with the brake lines in my old Mk3 VR6...somebody had them fabricated with metric brake compression nuts, but SAE flares. I couldn't figure out why I had leaks and air getting into the system until I disassembled it all. Had to reflare the ends (finding the right bubble flare tool was a PITA).

Good luck.

So where the hell have I been? Long story short: boats....

I have been swamped with a bunch of pay jobs that completely took over my garage space. Some of which required spray time, so the 240 has lived outside, under cover, until I regain control of my schedule.

And speaking of swamped.....The lake levels are at a record high. My property actually gets nicer when the water is up, so I am not complaining....worst that happens to me is my dock pops apart...An annoyance at best.

I'm now on the third reassembly of that. haha.

So...I'm an idiot, called an audible one day, and decided that it would be a perfect time to restore my 1959 16.5' Lyman Runabout... The last 3 weeks have been a whirlwind of stripping, staining, and varnishing...I'm pleased with the progress I have made, in a fairly short amount of time, but I definitely underestimated the workload a little bit. I'm running about a week behind..

Here's the boat, when it was last pulled out of the water.

How it was three weeks ago..disassembled, in shambles...

Five minutes, give or take, later... Fully stripped.

I opted against painting the interior, as there is no going back from that, really. Going this route, however, is definitely the more labor intensive of the two....

Interlux filler stain Chris Craft Red Mahogany.

Eight coats of epifanes varnish later...Getting there..

I also just got back from Newport Rhode Island.

I was racing on this beauty.

We won the Classic Spinnaker division.

Racing alongside some of the America's Cup 12 Metres...

And some pretty awesome boats, like this New York 40. They were our main competition for the first day..

So obviously....I had an amazing time..

But now....back to reality. I have about two weeks before I am teaching sailing and racing full time, so I must make moves to finish these projects.

I really want the 240 back in the garage. I want to drive the stupid thing....

Stupid life....always getting in the way. Hmph!!

Sometimes life gets in the way. It's ok! Just don't do something dumb, like sell the unfinished project before you're able to enjoy it. (Speaking from experience)

In the grand scheme, storing it for another year will only be a blip in the lifetime of memories you're building with that car. Don't stress yourself out!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      ArmenB is spot-on. Don't beat yourself up, you've done enough of that just taking on the wooden boat!

It certainly looks beautiful, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Wonderful update!

But, I'm confused, did you take the Datsun skiing this year?

You're worse than me

While I've unfortunately come to grips that boat season = less datsun updates, I'm conflicted because I also have an irrational love for shiny varnish wood boats. Well done on the refresh! Also congrats on the win!
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

All the projects are looking great!

And it's nice to see the 240 out of the garage. Gives a real sense of what it will look like on the road. (Which we all still hope to see sometime this year... )

Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      And speaking of swamped.....The lake levels are at a record high. My property actually gets nicer when the water is up, so I am not complaining....worst that happens to me is my dock pops apart...An annoyance at best.
      Sorry, that's Canada's fault.

We had a metric **** ton of rain in the spring combined with the melt from up North. It dickered up the water levels.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Great to see some updates!

Good luck getting everything put back together!
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

I like the additional attention to your boats. The gloss turned out well! I hope you're able to tackle the leak. I do not mind working with most automotive fluids, but I really do not like working with brake fluid!

What do you think is causing it to hunt at idle? I hope it is as easy (maybe?) as a vacuum leak. I like the SC plate too!
      (sheriff)Early, I though you said this was a drug possum.
      (Early) Sure, I drug him from the ditch.
      (sheriff) I wish you told me that before you sold him to me.

I think you need to update your Prototipo:
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Loved reading your thread!

Love the Z car and all the fabrication.

Keep it up!

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132