I finished putting together my motor (Turbo Datsun content) - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
      Another mad boring update.

Sorry, I've been working constantly.

But I got the old Ford truck I'm working on fired up! Nice to hear the 360 breathe a little bit.

But as for the Z...

Transmission Fluid arrived

And I've been slowly wiring the engine bay, while I wait for a steady stream of parts.

Thermostat housing with all the various sensors is complete. And my thermostatic switch for my electric cooling fan is wired. Everything is soldered and shrink wrapped.

Most everything is labeled, and I am figuring out the best, and cleanest way to route the wiring. Below is preliminary wideband routing.

Work continues....
      Last edited by OldAndyAndTheSea; 05-06-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Nice.

As I said in the Ford/BMW thread from dasfinc, I love finishing little projects at the end of a build like that. The really hard and often frustrating work is done and everything you do seems to button up some kind of system/component and gives a nice feeling of accomplishment.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Nice.

As I said in the Ford/BMW thread from dasfinc, I love finishing little projects at the end of a build like that. The really hard and often frustrating work is done and everything you do seems to button up some kind of system/component and gives a nice feeling of accomplishment.
      Yep! With this type work, you've done your job correctly if people don't know you've been there. But man does that OEM esque quality come at a timely cost.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

These last few pieces are KILLING me.

Chipping away at it. Soon....soon. I want to hear my exhaust so bad now....

Plug wires and my valve cover breather arrived today.

Taylor Thundervolt 10.4mm spark plug wires. Monster diameter. And a 5/8" diameter K&N air filter

I'm owed around a grand for some work. So TECHNICALLY, I have more than enough money to make the car run again.....However getting paid......Now that's a whole other story entirely.....

Yesterday:

While I was getting ready to wire another light for my boost gauge's back light, dropped my screwdriver, and it just so managed to short out the 12v constant on my headlight switch on the way down....

And subsequently, I lost ALL power leading into the fuse box.

Needless to say.......I didn't enjoy the past couple of days very much.

Thumbs down...

But today..

I fixed it.

The main problem was upstream about 5 feet from the short. WHOOPS. Well, I tracked it down, and fixed the issue.

Now I've got power at the fuse box. And everything in the car works once more. Phew!

Also wired up the light to my boost gauge. Pics are impossible to see.

Once my 1/8 npt -> 5/32 fitting arrives, I'll install the new, non broken, boost gauge for good.

Then I wire my wideband! and hopefully calibrate it as well.

Dodged some bullets there. I'm going to have a beer.
      Last edited by OldAndyAndTheSea; 01-11-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Talk about passion for an automobile. Great work and great thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI - e46 330ci

Your build is so great. I love your attention to detail. Your engine bay will look very "done" when it's all buttoned up. Exposed aluminum can be cool, but I love that you've taken the time to give a finish to every piece of exposed metal.

Keep up the good work dude
      2005 Subaru Forester X/1980 Honda CM400E/1987 Porsche 944S

BattleRabbit takes Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Your build is so great. I love your attention to detail. Your engine bay will look very "done" when it's all buttoned up. Exposed aluminum can be cool, but I love that you've taken the time to give a finish to every piece of exposed metal.

Keep up the good work dude
      I really appreciate that. Thank you. That's a very nice thing to say.

Small update..

More random odds and ends.

My 1/4" npt - 5/32 hose barb arrived. So I was able to finish up my boost gauge.

And I routed the vacuum hoses for my boost gauge, and my MAP sensor for Megasquirt through the firewall. Pretty tidy. Can't complain.

I'm working hard to finish it up.

Soon...

Also I managed to spray the first coats of 2k high build primer on my friend Pat's 1971 240z that is the background of many of my pictures. It was a long time coming.

Here's just a SAMPLE of where it came from.

EDIT: June 4th: Found a REAL good before picture of the car, with the bondo camaro flares and all that jazz. Haha

And here it is now. Freshly rolled out of the garage, before cleaning.

He's going to drive it in primer for a while, until he affords paint.

So he's slowly putting it back together. Not bad for a 800 dollar car.

Even though it isn't my car, I figured I'd show it off anyway. I mean c'mon....It IS a Datsun

Until next time

Last edited by OldAndyAndTheSea; 06-04-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Like the progress on both cars.

One thing I've heard about primer is that it can absorb water if it's left exposed. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      Like the progress on both cars.

One thing I've heard about primer is that it can absorb water if it's left exposed. Is this true?
      Thank you, and yes this is true.

Most primers will absorb some sort of condensation over time.

This is not immediate, and the rate of decay is based on a multitude of factors. Quality also plays a huge role, as you can imagine. Don't expect Rustoleum to stand the test of time. But PPG or Martin Senour.....Those will give you some time before durability starts to waver.

His car, for the moment, will not be driven in any sort of weather, other than sunny days, and is always garaged. So for the most part, he is out of the woods.

The primer he bought is good quality. I have no hesitation to think that if left untouched, he'd be able to coast a couple years easily.

But I assume it will be painted long before that issue arises

So it beings.

Relay board, and 12' of labeled wire.

Injector pigtails arrived as well, so now I can make that harness.

This is all very time consuming stuff. But once I'm done wiring the engine, the last remaining components can wait until the day I attempt to start the car.

so after this is all done, there isn't much left. Exciting!!

More to come....

Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      Thank you, and yes this is true.

Most primers will absorb some sort of condensation over time.

This is not immediate, and the rate of decay is based on a multitude of factors. Quality also plays a huge role, as you can imagine. Don't expect Rustoleum to stand the test of time. But PPG or Martin Senour.....Those will give you some time before durability starts to waver.
      Absolutely true. This is why you see old cars in primer full of rust. People think that it does something to protect the steel from water and they're right, but only to a degree. Oh, and Rust-O-Leum is far superior to any of the other spray bombs (I'm looking squarely at you, Krylon) that I've tried. Certainly it'd be much better to shoot it out of a gun, though.

So it beings.

Relay board, and 12' of labeled wire...
      Yow. That looks to be as much fun as a barrel of dead monkeys.

On second thought I suppose it's not too bad, as long as you're not in a hurry, which you don't seem to be. (This not meant as a criticism, it's a good thing!)

I don't remember and it's getting to be a long thread, what is the wiring/injection system you're using? Since I haven't built a modified injected car I'm still not very familiar with the FI aftermarket. I have some fun ideas on a couple of different injected engines, but they won't be for the next two projects, so it will be a while before it's even a consideration for me.

constant progress i see.

cant say i envy that wiring tho but once its together will be epic.

Thanks guys!

And I am going with Megasquirt as my Fuel Injection system.

Specifically: Megasquirt II pcb v3.0

And yeah, I agree. The way I see it, the car will be ready when it's ready, and not a second sooner.

I can't say how many times I've rushed a project only to redo it later....Not this time!!!

Haha.

And the wiring isn't too bad, especially with the relay board.

The hardest part I'm finding, is deciding the route my wire looms are going to take....

THAT and figuring out the best place to mount the board. I'm torn between a hidden board, for a cleaner look, or the board out in the open, for easy roadside diagnosis

I'll ponder on that issue today at some point.

Thanks guys!
      You're welcome. It's nice to see someone doin' it right.

And yeah, I agree. The way I see it, the car will be ready when it's ready, and not a second sooner.

I can't say how many times I've rushed a project only to redo it later....Not this time!!!

Haha.
      It's nice to not be in a hurry. I've tinkered with my daily drivers when I was a kid and now that I have a garage and my fun car isn't a daily, it's great to be able to take my time to do it as it should be done. Also, I hate having to do something a second time, too!

And the wiring isn't too bad, especially with the relay board.

The hardest part I'm finding, is deciding the route my wire looms are going to take....

THAT and figuring out the best place to mount the board. I'm torn between a hidden board, for a cleaner look, or the board out in the open, for easy roadside diagnosis

I'll ponder on that issue today at some point.

I can see the loom being a hard decision. As far as the board goes, can you relocate the washer bottle or battery and 'semi-hide' it under that little door at the back of the hood? That could work, though I can't remember the exact layout well enough to know off the top of my head.

Yeah, right now I have 2 locations I am trying to decide from.

First is right next to the battery, on the passenger side inner fender.

The pros to this placement are:

-Easily accessible
      -shorter distance my relay cable has to travel
      -perfect for ECU mounting location inside the glove box

Cons to this placement:

-in the open, so very visible
      -depending on the orientation of the relay board, the mounting position can become awkward.

The second possible location is exactly where you described. Drivers side, under the inspection panel, where my windshield washer reservoir once was.

Pros to this placement:

-Already a hole cut for previous FI applications (for the relay cable)
      -Hidden completely
      -flat surface to mount the board to (passenger inner fender has some rounded areas that pose potential problems)

Cons:

-Hidden, so if something goes wrong, It will be slightly more difficult to track wires, and problems. Especially on the side of the road.

-I don't believe the relay cable will be long enough to reach the glove box from this side, so the ECU would most likely have to be mounted on the drivers side kick panel, where the previous ECU was placed. Which isn't a bad thing, but the glove box setup would be much cleaner setup interior wise.

Those are my thoughts on the issue.

Although after weighing out the pros and cons, I am now leading towards the drivers side option, as I feel the routing and placement will be much cleaner in the end.

But, as always, it's a battle between what looks good, and what's easier to maintain.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
      Only occasionally.

How tough would it be to either mount the battery on the driver's side or extend the cable harness to go to the glove box?

Only occasionally.

How tough would it be to either mount the battery on the driver's side or extend the cable harness to go to the glove box?
      Battery relocation, perhaps to the rear is a possibility. Moving it to the driver's side won't be possible due to my brake and clutch master cylinders.

Which also reminds me of a possible con for my drivers side mounting location. Being that the board will be pretty close to brake fluid (mainly thinking about possible spills and or leaks)

But it seems that Im now overthinking it.

Im thinking drivers fender now. More and more.

How big is the board? I can look at my Datsun and see if I can come up with a suggestion for you.

Battery relocation, perhaps to the rear is a possibility. Moving it to the driver's side won't be possible due to my brake and clutch master cylinders.

Which also reminds me of a possible con for my drivers side mounting location. Being that the board will be pretty close to brake fluid (mainly thinking about possible spills and or leaks)

But it seems that Im now overthinking it.

Im thinking drivers fender now. More and more.
      Duh! What was I thinking?

I definitely wouldn't say you're over-thinking it, it would suck to get everything done and then blow the board because you spilled brake fluid on it. This is the type of thinking that turns a good project into a great one.

I suppose it's possible to build a simple shield to cover it when you're not trying to actively get to it so that it's protected in that regard, though I don't know if that's the best solution.

Is it easy to pull the glove box and put it back there? If it wouldn't fit could you fabricate/modify to put a smaller box in there to add room behind it? If it's easy to pull then a side-of-the-road repair wouldn't be too bad, either. Hell, you'd be warm and dry in the event of bad weather, too! If that's a possibility then it might be good to shield it from the heater core - just in case of a leak.

Yeah, I think either way I will fabricate some sort of cover for the board in the future. I also liked your idea of a removable shield.

I'm saying these because I am about 95% sure that I will in fact mount the relay board under the driver side inspection panel. And I may even get lucky, and the cable may reach further than I initially anticipated.

As for the wiring.....

Slowly plugging away at it. Enjoying myself.

Slowly progressing...

Injector harness is about 95% done....Stupid time consuming, but I'll finish it up today.

I intend on running the harness on the underside of my fuel rail, so you won't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea - late last night
      As for the wiring.....

Slowly plugging away at it. Enjoying myself.
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea - early this morning
      Slowly progressing...

Injector harness is about 95% done....Stupid time consuming, but I'll finish it up today.

I intend on running the harness on the underside of my fuel rail, so you won't see it.
      So, do you sleep or have a job?

Looking good! Are you planning to run the injector harness in a loom, a metal tube (split to be able to stuff it in there, perhaps) or run as-is but more hidden?

So, do you sleep or have a job?

Looking good! Are you planning to run the injector harness in a loom, a metal tube (split to be able to stuff it in there, perhaps) or run as-is but more hidden?

Hahaha! Yeah, by those time stamps it would appear that I am very much nocturnal. And sometimes I am, but luckily not due to any sleeping disorder.

I'm self employed, for the most part, and with a work schedule that varies greatly throughout the week, I am sometimes stuck late into the night trying to work on my own projects.

To assist in this, I try to get at least an hour in every morning as well, before I switch gears and start working on pay jobs, like the 1969 f100 Ranger I'm now just finishing up.

In regards to the car,

I'm leaving the wires uncovered/loomed until I start the motor the first time. Once I confirm I did the wiring correctly, I will cover them, in either some sort of plastic loom, or maybe wrapping them. Not sure yet.....Once again, I'm mulling over the issue, with great scrutiny.

But there is something to be said for exposed, easy to read wires. Where you can visually trace wiring in a flash had you needed to. So, at this time, I am thinking whatever I cover the wires in, it must be easily removable. So I think those looms are probably my best bet.

or at least that's the thought process this particular minute.

Hahaha! Yeah, by those time stamps it would appear that I am very much nocturnal. And sometimes I am, but luckily not due to any sleeping disorder...

...To assist in this, I try to get at least an hour in every morning as well, before I switch gears and start working on pay jobs, like the 1969 f100 Ranger I'm now just finishing up.

*pic of truck.

In regards to the car,

I'm leaving the wires uncovered/loomed until I start the motor the first time...

or at least that's the thought process this particular minute.
      That is wise.

Hmmmm. I think I'd wrap each pair to hide the red wire, at least until it's in the common loom under the fuel rail, as I think that looks tidier. Is there a nicer looking split loom than the generic black corrugated plastic junk like you buy at Radio Shack and Auto Zone?

Also: More pics of that truck, it looks sweet!

Hmmmm. I think I'd wrap each pair to hide the red wire, at least until it's in the common loom under the fuel rail, as I think that looks tidier. Is there a nicer looking split loom than the generic black corrugated plastic junk like you buy at Radio Shack and Auto Zone?
      Black spiral loom and good 3M cloth friction tape?
      http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/SpiralWrap.php

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast