VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Thread where I Build my 94 and 91

48K views 346 replies 43 participants last post by  SkybarGTI 
#1 ·
I'm not going to be rushing on these cars at all, its going to take time, but what proper build doesnt!?
comments are very welcome, opinions are great too, and I look forward to whatever positive input you all may have to offer! so thanks for checking my thread out, and here we go!

so the 91, first day home.. bone stock, had 58,000km on it, now has just over 60,000km

the bay

and the 94 (its pretty rough.. but it will be a good project)

Blue car is a dream to drive, nice and clunk/squeek-less and still pulls hard. only problem is the stereo doesnt work, seems to be stuck in SAF mode, lol, I dont really care about getting it to work right now, the original owner recently put some sort of stereo in it, theres a massive amp and some other crack in the trunk, but I'm going to gut it out as soon as this weather isnt so ****ing terrible...

the 94... not so much a dream to drive.. the PO probably **** kicked it pretty bad, the interior was pretty clean though! but seems kinda like some stuff was fading (fixed now) and atleast it has a working stereo.. but it clunks like a mother ****er and the suspension is toast. Also has a good ol' CEL that likes to come on from time to time.. and the motor mounts are TOAST! the crank pulley is rubbing on a plastic shield from time to time...

time to address some of the vr6's needs...
The intake tube had a hole drilled in it for some unknown reason...:sly::screwy: and I noticed the sensor connected to the tube was in backwards... arrow pointing to front of car..
So i ordered up a 42dd pipe in wrinkle black.

easy install, great piece, only problem is the little rubber hose pieces they give are about 1.5" too short as it seems.. kind of ridiculous.:rolleyes:
makes the bay look a bit better though.

next on the list was to change out the motor mounts, coilpack and wires.. Got a great deal on the coilpack and wires from another member, super great guy, and a not so great but still decent deal on some VF mounts. Figured I'd do all this the same day.

comparison.

still havent got the tranny mount in yet though, its a total bitch to get to and i figure I'll do it when I get new suspension for it..

saw some great electrical master work while putting in the rear mount...:screwy::thumbup:

looks like I'll be doing the 02 sensor as soon as it arrives.. could be contributing to the CEL as well, as the coil and wires didnt really change it, but it does feel like its actually running on 6 cyls now lol.
also found a stray ground??? anyone know what this is for???

and a shot of the motor with the wires on, looks much better than the black wires, and the motor actually sits straight now.. lol removed the middle cover too, it was beat and looked like **** anyways..

See less See more
#3 ·
next was doing a coolant flush. looked a little bit rusty. Could be headgasket, but I wanted to flush the system first before thinking of pulling the motor to do the headgasket (i know you dont have to pull the motor, but I will so I can clean everything and paint the block..)

got another great deal on some Samco's, thought since I'm going to flush the system and throw in G12, why not replace the hoses too?

monster pain in the ass to install.. specially when the PO or someone had all the god damn clamps facing the worst positions possible! I cut the **** out of my hands...

anyways, after much cussing and yelling, i got them all on, filled the system, flushed again, so much crap came out.. filled it up clean, took it for a drive, then this....

luckily a local supplier had an oem replacement for me while I order a billet one from GP.

off to get more coolant again... $25/jug is getting annoying to buy... this is jug #3 now becuase of that stupid neck exploding!:banghead: didnt even look bad at all when I was putting the hoses on.
got it home and washed it.

blue car looked jealous, so i decided to give it some attention too..
decided it was a good day to do some coilovers.. got some FK's from a local for a decent price.

the before pic with Neuspeed sport springs..

and now with the FK's and a 90mm lip (Thank Tyler aka RadVR6T)

Also decided it was a good day to see whats underneath the body mouldings, lol, kind of adventurous today.. I had all the right stuff for it, I used a soft plastic bondo putty knife type thing, its small and worked great and I also had some glue/grease remover that safe for all clearcoats and is eco friendly..

looks good so far!

took just under 1 hour..
thought maybe the Ice grey would look better without as well! turns out the body side mouldings on the VR were a bit different than the G60's, they were a more rigid plastic, hot water and the sun helped out a lot. I didnt want to use a head gun just incase of paint damage.
took me just about 2 hours for the 94.

Sorry for the iphone pic, but a bit of an improvement!
I know I know! lower it! yeah, but I need to save up for some KW V2's, I wont just put anything in it..

#4 ·
next I thought I would do something about the tail lights on the 94... I hated the look and there were dead bugs inside of them... lol where the F did the PO park this thing?!

before:

after:

i used some VHT red tail light tint, 2 coats did the job. I couldnt stand the look of the chrome tail light housing either, so I decided to paint everything that was chrome on the lights, satin black. gave it more of an oem look.

figured I would test fit the autotech strut bar too, to see if maybe Polished ends and wrinkle black bar would look good, or vice versa, or paint matched ends with black or polished bar..
made my markings of where to drill the holes, also have to notch a tiny bit off one of the ends so i can clear the ABS sensor stud..
any opinions on what may look good?

time for a little test fitting for the 91 too..

wanted to see if smoked e-codes would look better than stock looking ones with the blue..
I decided to smoke them..

I wont install them untill I get my harness' from eurowires, i want everything to be done proper and no butchery of wiring like the pig tail splice in kit.. So if anyone wants some e-code pigtails so splice in to their stock harness! I've got a set to sell :)

Also wanted to see how the reiger grill would fit...

definitely going to paint the eybrow to color match, and probably paint gloss black for the lower 2 slats as I'm going to paint my license plate tub gloss black too..

The next day... Some lady, carelessly backs up, into my car, while picking her ****ty child up from the ****ty pre-school accross the way... atleast she came to my door, I had a good freak out, made her fear her own driving abilities after that..

Broke off my grill emblem... busted the little pieces that hold the slats together on the grille.. pushed in my headlight (no damage luckily, it popped right back into place, damaged my hood and took a couple chips out of the paint on the bumper and scuffed it a little.. I JUST claybar'd it after all the work I did the preveous day too!!!

\so needless to say, now is a good time for a VR6 hood, to get my grill painted and shave the side markers, also I'll probably throw in some VR6 fog/turns while its all being done..

the 91 was looking so good too... now it makes me feel that it looks like this guy...

#37 ·
next I thought I would do something about the tail lights on the 94... I hated the look and there were dead bugs inside of them... lol where the F did the PO park this thing?!

before:

after:

i used some VHT red tail light tint, 2 coats did the job. I couldnt stand the look of the chrome tail light housing either, so I decided to paint everything that was chrome on the lights, satin black. gave it more of an oem look.

figured I would test fit the autotech strut bar too, to see if maybe Polished ends and wrinkle black bar would look good, or vice versa, or paint matched ends with black or polished bar..
made my markings of where to drill the holes, also have to notch a tiny bit off one of the ends so i can clear the ABS sensor stud..
any opinions on what may look good?

time for a little test fitting for the 91 too..

wanted to see if smoked e-codes would look better than stock looking ones with the blue..
I decided to smoke them..

I wont install them untill I get my harness' from eurowires, i want everything to be done proper and no butchery of wiring like the pig tail splice in kit.. So if anyone wants some e-code pigtails so splice in to their stock harness! I've got a set to sell :)

Also wanted to see how the reiger grill would fit...

definitely going to paint the eybrow to color match, and probably paint gloss black for the lower 2 slats as I'm going to paint my license plate tub gloss black too..

The next day... Some lady, carelessly backs up, into my car, while picking her ****ty child up from the ****ty pre-school accross the way... atleast she came to my door, I had a good freak out, made her fear her own driving abilities after that..

Broke off my grill emblem... busted the little pieces that hold the slats together on the grille.. pushed in my headlight (no damage luckily, it popped right back into place, damaged my hood and took a couple chips out of the paint on the bumper and scuffed it a little.. I JUST claybar'd it after all the work I did the preveous day
\so needless to say, now is a good time for a VR6 hood, to get my grill painted and shave the side markers, also I'll probably throw in some VR6 fog/turns while its all being done..

the 91 was looking so good too... now it makes me feel that it looks like this guy...
Is this the chick that gets toppless in American reunion?

#6 ·
Great work so far :thumbup:

I admire your patience dealing with not just one but two Corrados at the same time :D (one is even a G60, lol J/K :p)

And lastly it looks like you're throwing some serious $$$ on both projects :eek: :thumbup:

:beer:

#10 ·
Creeped both these cars yesterday - didn't realize they were right around the corner from my house.

If you need another pair of hands on a sunny day PM me. :thumbup:

#12 ·
****, insurance companies suck.. I have an appointment on monday to go get it checked out, but the lady on the phone today didnt sound too encouraging "1991 is pretty old now, ICBC is not really much in favor of fixing up older vehicles if the damage is pretty big"
BITCH! The car was MINT before! its not like anything besided the hood NEEDS repairs!!
but still, since the person who backed into me claims 100%, why would it matter how much it costs to fix?! their insurance is paying for it!
NOW the bumper is going to get redone, side markers will be gone too, tried and tried and tried to find a VR6 hood somewhere locally or anywhere near by, but theres nothing :(
I wanted to throw a Vr6 hood on since the G60 hood needs a full repaint anyways...

took another look at the hood..

awesome...:thumbup:

a pic I forgot about, when my G60 came to save my VR from being stranded in a parking lot because of the blown radiator flange...

and just a crappy weather pic of the 94

close up of the all red tails, I painted the chrome housing and everything black so it looks a bit more oem than Chrome lol

and havent had the weather to do a full once over on the interior, I dont think I posted a pic before though. The recaros are pristine, lol for the amount of KM's on the car, thats VERY suprising.

Just waiting for some more goodies before I do a worthy update post, some pretty big/good updates for the G60, and I think the motor may be coming out of the VR soon for some "servicing"

#13 ·
Sorry to hear about the accident man. My slc was pristine and I got hit 4 times by other drivers in two weeks. basically made me cry, so I feel your pain. Your 91 was (and will be again) incredibly pretty, I love the orange turn signals with the blue. I also like the pic of the your g60 saving your vr6, makes me want to get another g60!
Hopefully the insurance adjuster will be cool, in my experience they can be pretty nice if they understand how much you care about the car and how much blood and sweat you've put into it.

#14 ·
you're sucha newb skylar lol
this is not smoked

This is smoked
you have to paint the bottom reflector to get a real smoked looked \.

Mine

#15 ·
Lol! Thanks Dorian:thumbup: ****ing jackass:laugh:
Been in the mkv world for a while! Gimme a break! Haha,
I'm not sure if I want to do the bottom reflector yet or not, lol, I'm thinking of ordering another couple sets of reflectors and another set of e-codes for the 94 soon, dunno if I'm gonna smoke them on the 94 though, may just keep them clean.
Still ****in waiting for this dumb e-code lens to show up so I can at least fit the grill.. Car goes into paint on the 11th, hope my eurowires show up too, got a set for the VR as well lol.

D, where did you take toffee to get its fenders pulled?? I MIGHT have to do that pretty soon, but not as aggressive, depending on how well et25/15 16x9's fit ;)
According to Tunershop, should be fine without pulling, just a little rolling, but I'm always skeptical..

#21 ·
Lol! Thanks Dorian:thumbup: ****ing jackass:laugh:
D, where did you take toffee to get its fenders pulled?? I MIGHT have to do that pretty soon, but not as aggressive, depending on how well et25/15 16x9's fit ;)
Being a Jackass is my specialty.
My cars ****ed all paint and body work is junk that why the car sits as a shell.
What cars getting painted?

#17 ·
Not so far lol, the G60 has given me 0 grief, but then again I bought a super low mileage one so I wouldn't have to worry too much and do all the preventative stuff right away before it has an excuse to crap on me.

The VR hasn't been very expensive either, I've just replacing all the questionable things with stuff that's a lot better lol, but it's going to get expensive soon when I tear apart the motor to do the head gasket and timing chains... I'll probably be doing some serious late night with a bunch of cleaning agents and many trips to the powder coating shop lol, I want it spotless.. I guess while the motor is out, I'll probably hide a bunch of the electrical and clean up the bay, maybe even a respray in there before I do the complete exterior around Christmas.
But it does need a lot, I think all the bushings are pretty much toast, the steering is pretty rough too, and there's a funny creak inside occasionally, and the passenger side window rattles at certain rpm. Can't wait to rip it apart in the summer to see what else will have to be done hahaha

#18 ·
Decided to put some all red on the 91 too. Looks much better..

Car goes to have the damage assesed tomorrow, then to the body shop on the 11th,
It will look fairly different after that :)
Couple more goodies are now on their way too, I won't spoil the surprise though!

#24 ·
D, get that thing rolling for summer man, come on!
The G is going for paint next Monday, side markers will go and the new grille will be on and a full hood repaint/repair, also repainting the rad support.

Cata, is called Aqua Blue Pearl Effect or something, I think the code is LC5U. Looks super purple when freshly waxed in certain lights/angles, then really sparkly blue in other lights, it's def my fav color C, not super common anyways. And thanks man! 2

Tyler, Thanks dude! Would love to do some pics, VR turn/fogs, new grille, clean bumper w/o plate, porsche brakes and the new wheels should all be thrown on pretty soon. I know you know what the wheels are, but I'll keep it hush hush right now. Taking the porsche calipers down to get painted soon too. Need them a nice deep glossy red. The black ones will go on the VR when I get wheels for that, but that's not for a while lol!

Today was so nice, I decided to do a little work on the G..

There was a whole **** ton of stereo stuf throughout the car that didnt work.. No CD player or subs... So wtf is the point of this garbage? I yanked it all out, was killing my battery anyways... Probably 90ft of wiring in total... 2 amps, a multimedia unit(wtf ever that is), a couple amps, some other giant amp looking thing, and a couple fans and the thickest guage wiring I have ever seen... **** off to all of that.

So much garbage..

My helper today..

And the last half of the crap I pulled out..

Aaaand finally got the other lens for the lights, now the body shop can fit the grille properly, then I'll probably tear them off again and clean everything in the whole area, clean up some wires and hopefully by then the eurowires will be here. Need a couple big back caps though, I anyone has a couple laying around they wanna sell!

Gotta get some work done on the VR soon, but **** keeps lining up for the G, hard not to do work on it and leave the V on the back burner for now I guess..

#26 ·
nice having a regular hatch for now, I realize I'm in need of a rear carpet, theres a crap ton of dynamat under that ****ty looking grey carpet... Why GREY Carpet... the rest of the interior is not GREY.. some peoples kids...

and the custom door speaker that the original owner put in.. it has 2 speakers inside there, neither of them work... I cant WAIT to get leather door cards and ditch this crap.. Late model door cards will be much nicer

just a shot of the nice clean interior, the missing ashtray kinda sucks, but what was there when I bought the car was worse, so I'll deal with it for the moment. Got one in the works with a bunch of other stuff though.

should be good for today, the whole interior came out, I cleaned everything under the carpet and behind all the rear panels, EVERYTHING was deoderized, cleaned, and even a little wax put on just for a bit of protection and it smells ****ing great now (not that it stunk before, but it was parked for almost 10 years so..) I woulda taken pics of it stripped, but I was in work mode and didnt even think of it.

when I get leathers, I'll do a fully bare pic (and at that time I'll take off the dash to get the remaining stereo wiring out and hopefully have a decent head unit and ashtray lol)

#30 ·
Late model door cards will be much nicer
Make sure you get the harness for the window switches, also the mirrors not too sure if that uses same plug or not
IMO its a shame you're mix matching that mint G60 and not keeping it original. You have both why would you want to make both the same? G60's are much more rare than a vr, more collectable in the end. But it's your car look what I did to my G60 :laugh:.
Great progress so far man.

#28 ·
thanks man! I'll check out the wiring stuff tomorrow if its not pissing rain, kinda hope it is though, could wash the pollen off my cars, i think I'm going to have to throw some Ice grey content up next, just been neglecting it lately, i almost get overwhelmed when I look at it and the list for it lol!
ah well, soon enough the motor will be coming out and then the madness will begin on the 94.

#29 ·
Small update before it heads to the body shop,
Fitted some nice VR6 turns/fogs to the g60, looks much cleaner now. I should have the oe lights up for sale soon.
Also acquired a couple polished goodies for the 94, just cleaning them up a bit and thinking about spraying some high temp gunmetal type color between the runners, everyone does black, but I'm going to try something a little different.

I'll take some better pics once it's back from paint.

And the g60 with the new lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.