I Love LAWNMOWER - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I grew up mowing an acre+; .25 is great, just enough to be interesting and justify some tools, but not too big to be a PITA or require really big (read: garage-space stealing) tools.
      That's what we have. I have a self-propelled push mower that I hate, but I do love the look of a freshly-trimmed lawn.

FV-QR

I haven't had to mow a yard since I was in high school. We'll have a yard again eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I grew up mowing an acre+; .25 is great, just enough to be interesting and justify some tools, but not too big to be a PITA or require really big (read: garage-space stealing) tools.

That's what I was thinking. The house/yard I grew up with had a lot of similarities to what we're in now. My parents did a great job with the space, so I'm really looking forward to making this new place our own. The previous owner of our house bungled quite a few of the rhododendron we have, among others, so we have a great opportunity to rebuild as we see fit.

It's been all clean up so far this season, but we're almost ready to start planting some things. But yeah, the tool buying has been fun - "Trust me honey, we needed all of this..."
      Jason • Now 2.0T / 455 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Lawn and garden is what gets me out of the winter funk. Been mowing with the Simplicity for about three weeks now, and just disc'd gramp's garden with his 8N. If he doesn't will that thing to me I'm going to kill him.

we have an acre and a half, I'm currently using a Craftsman 46" triple bagger. We planted 8 trees over the past year so I've been keeping after them, surprisingly they all made it through the winter. I just gave them some tree&shrub specific fertilizer today.

Just serviced mine!

2005 vintage Honda with OHC engine, starts on the first pull after sitting outside all winter:

New racing air filter = 25 horsepower
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Don't forget to swiss cheese the air box.

Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      needs more lower too

Quote Originally Posted by VikingVR6GTI View Post
      We're supposed to get another 6-10" of snow tonight. No lawn mowing being done around here for a while. By this time last year, I had played golf 4 times and my lawn had been mowed at least 5 or 6 times.
      3-8" here, I'm guessing around 5" will be the total and it's supposed to be 71 on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      needs more lower too
      Factory adjustable ride height, son. MUGEN stylez.

Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      needs more lower too
      Rust the hood or go home
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      We can not be trusted.

Pffft. Honda HR215 is where it's at. Get on my level.

PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

We have a Honda Harmony self-prop in the shed that doesn't run. The self-prop drive was already dead when I obtained it (free) and it was a heavy mother to shove around our thick-ass lawn.

I could de-gunk the carb and probably get $50 for it, but I wish I could get the transmission to work again. From what I've seen online though, it's a tedious fix.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      Pffft. Honda HR215 is where it's at. Get on my level.

Nice. I grew up on a 1983 HR214. I had a 'Honda Lawnmower Appreciation' thread last year that didn't really catch on.

Anywho, I just gave my HRX217 an oil change and cleaned the air filter yesterday for the first 'official' cut of the season. I actually 'cut' it three weeks ago, but that was more to clean up resiudal leaves and pick up some thatch that I raked up.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      We have a Honda Harmony self-prop in the shed that doesn't run. The self-prop drive was already dead when I obtained it (free) and it was a heavy mother to shove around our thick-ass lawn.

I could de-cunk the carb and probably get $50 for it, but I wish I could get the transmission to work again. From what I've seen online though, it's a tedious fix.
      That's my one beef about the newer Hondas (except for the uber-pricey commerical line - the self-propel used to always be gear-driven (our 1983 never had an issue in 25 years). However, now everything except for the aforementioned commerical line is now belt-driven.

Sometimes I wish I had just caved in and bought the commercial - but they go for over a grand, and I got a pretty decent deal last year on mine, and it has a six year warranty.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      That's my one beef about the newer Hondas (except for the uber-pricey commerical line - the self-propel used to always be gear-driven (our 1983 never had an issue in 25 years). However, now everything except for the aforementioned commerical line is now belt-driven.
      Mine (216) was only about $400 or $450 back in 2005. It is a 3-speed but has been stuck in 1st for a few years now, which is fine because my yard is usually too long in the back for 2nd or 3rd.

I want one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post

I want one of these:
      I have a 1983 HT3813 and the 38" Snow Thrower attachment. If the conditions are just right that mo-fo can throw snow 30 feet. Not shabby for a single stage. I bought mine, with the attachments, in 1995 for $1,000. It lives at my shop now.

I think the belt for the snow blower is 17 or 18 feet long.

I want one of these:
      Heh. That actually got posted in my old thread. If I ever had a large yard, I'd try to track one down.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

This is one of the first mowers I can remember, my dad sold in to someone who worked for him in the late '80s and it traded hands a few times after.

Two summers back the little SOB came full circle and fell into my hands for a bottle of Jack Daniels. It works great for my current yard, but in the next year or two we will be moving to an acreage, so I'm not too sure the little champ will be able to make the cut. None the less, it will become a winter restoration project in the years to come.

(Google Image)

I bought a new lawn mower two weeks ago when our old one died mid-mow.

Going home tonight to get my mow on. Love the smell of fresh cut grass. (Hate the weekly mowing, though.)

Just serviced mine!

2005 vintage Honda with OHC engine, starts on the first pull after sitting outside all winter:

New racing air filter = 25 horsepower
      I was just going to post about how much I love my Honda Lawnmower. I have the same one pretty much except mine is a 2001 Model. I did have to put on a new carb a few years ago when I was having surging issues. It's rear Wheel drive. I hate front wheel drive mowers. But here if FL it's year round mowing. In the winter you can get away with mowing once a month, In the summer it's once a week though or else. I love to mow the lawn, its great exercise.

Speaking of equipment, I have mower that's 12 years old. An edger that is 25 years old. A WEEDEATER that is 15 years old, but I can't get a ****ing blower to last more that 2 years. WTF?
      It go down in the DM

I have a Toro similar to this one. No "mods".

I cut my backyard weekend before last. So much sand...

I loved to mow the 2 acres that I used to live on with a riding mower but now with less than a half acre and a walk behind mower I absolutely hate mowing! I don't know if I hate it these days because I have less time to enjoy it but when I mow now at least its with a top of the line Honda mower!

Today was the first mow of the year and I had to de-poop, clean up toys, detailed weed wacking and it took 2 hours and 45 minutes. I'm already dreading next time I have to mow it. I would of done the front grass today but the whole yard waste can is full.

A couple of my neighbors have a service mow their law a couple times a week and the rest of my neighbors are renters with knee high weeds.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      I loved to mow the 2 acres that I used to live on with a riding mower but now with less than a half acre and a walk behind mower I absolutely hate mowing! ... I would of done the front grass today but the whole yard waste can is full.
      Get an iPod or similar and some earbuds that block out the noise and it is much more enjoyable.

And mulch the clippings in - who has time to bag all that stuff? In the past I did bag it up and start a compost heap in the back corner (never sent it off to the dump) -- that was kind of fun because it would get too hot to touch when I worked some fresh stuff in.

my setup for 20ish acres. when run offset of the belly mower I have a roughly 10' of cutting swath.

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast