I Love LAWNMOWER - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
      I mowed for the first time this year today too.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      (Hate the weekly mowing, though.)
      I cut mine twice a week. That way I never have to pick up clippings.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Sharpened the blades. Changed the oil, filter and air filter. Then I mowed for the first time this season yesterday.
      Same here.

Would've done it Saturday but screw that, it was 40 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Way too much time on your hands! I can manage once a week but if I let it go two weeks I have to make two passes just to get it to a respectable level. My problem is that we have a decent sized property but two houses, both with decks, two out buildings, full fence line and 7 large trees to work around. I have to be a civil engineer just to plot out a clean path that doesn't take me all day backtracking and minimizes the trimmer work. That and my rider doesn't have a beer holder...
      "Never attribute to maliciousness that which can be attributed to stupidity."

We have a service, but I am thinking of getting a riding mower so I can join the Detroit Mower Gang and go mow abandoned lots for fun and beer.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

lawnmowers, meh....

I just use this:

which in combination with a tractor does this:

I Love LAWNMOWER

Jesus. Who has time for that? A 2-year-old and a 9-week-old plus a wife that works Saturdays means I gotta find some Mexicans to mow my lawn.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Buy my wife's old laptop!

I'm sporting a new ride this year... I just picked up a 190cc front drive Craftsman with a 22" deck. My old mower wasn't self propelled so this is like a frigg'n dream come true.

That's how we do...
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

Also... this seems appropriate for this thread...

Not my picture, but this is my seat for 2-3 hours when I get motivated enough to mow my yard. I'd die of pollen if I tried mowing it now.

I have a 13 year old Yard Man with a B&S engine. No Honda snobbery here

Similar to this one, but an older model, and with Big rear wheels.

It may not be fancy, but I have no right to complain about it. It's lasted this long with minimal maintenance. Right now it's used on ~1/4 acre, but its first 8 years were on a 1 acre lawn.

Just last year it started running funny, and I ended up replacing basically anything rubber (hoses/seals) that's attached to the engine, plus a carb rebuild. Solved the mystery of why the garage often reeked of gas. Between that and a tune-up, it's like-new for just over $30
      This winter or next, I may paint the deck. It's getting a tad rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by svantevid View Post
      lawnmowers, meh....

I just use this:

which in combination with a tractor does this:

Man, I want a flail mower so bad. I was looking at used tractor/flail mower combos on ebay for a while (the city of detroit was getting rid of some pretty nice setups for a while). My little IH 244 couldn't handle something larger than a 4-5 footer. Someday when I get the tractor of my dreams I hope to get an 8-10' rear flail and a 5-8' side flail on an arm to take care of all the steep slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      This time of year, I could use to do that. Last night the electric mower complained about the length--I had to do one section of the front yard at two different height settings to not have it clog up.

Later in the summer when the rains (finally) stop and it starts going dormant, I don't have to worry about it.

Sure looks nice when it's done, though.

Beautiful house, #6!

Mowing the lawn is probably my least favorite household chore.. actually raking leaves is worse.. but mowing is a close second.
      wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

It's no fun riding lightning bolts without war drums!

Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      It's rear Wheel drive. I hate front wheel drive mowers.
      Wait, what? A rwd push mower? That sounds annoying. You wouldn't be able to turn it around by using the handlebar as a lever and lifting the front wheels up and rotating. Or go backwards without pulling against the propulsion.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Point8TDan View Post
      I still have snow on some spots and grass looks like some dog peed over entire yard.
      no snow, but yah!
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      Wait, what? A rwd push mower? That sounds annoying. You wouldn't be able to turn it around by using the handlebar as a lever and lifting the front wheels up and rotating. Or go backwards without pulling against the propulsion.
      Nah, it's fine. They have a differential (of sorts) so you can lift 'n' pivot or make turns even when the power is on.

The handle is set up so that the rear-most bar is the one you squeeze to turn on the power propel (front bar kills the engine if you release it). So if you need to back up, you just let go of the rear bar and then start pulling it backward. It's all very light effort and nothing locks in place, so you can go on/off/on/off without really thinking about it.

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

My dad has a Toro with a Honda motor, and that little thing is just incredible. Always starts on the first pull and sounds so quiet. I don't even have a yard to mow, but I'd still like a Honda mower just to have one.

You definitely want rwd if you have a hilly lot.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      My dad has a Toro with a Honda motor, and that little thing is just incredible. Always starts on the first pull and sounds so quiet. I don't even have a yard to mow, but I'd still like a Honda mower just to have one.
      Aside from that, the other thing that's nice about them is that there is very little vibration. With a Briggs-engined mower, even with a padded handlebar, my hands start to go numb after an hour or so.

The Hondas also don't stink (exhaust) nearly as much as a Briggs, in my experience.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

I have used both, and the rear wheel drive by far is much better. It is actually better to turn than front wheel dive because with front wheel when you go to turn you lift up and then you lose all of your power. With rear wheel you have all the power throughout the turn. Also, in order to get any sort of traction I find myself having to lift up on the handle to get the front wheels to get any traction. With the rear wheel drive, most of the weight is already on the rear wheels, I can literally just squeeze the handle with 2 fingers and the thing will go by itself without any help needed. To back up, just let go of the drive bar. I won't ever use a front wheel drive mower again. In-fact, having the rear wheel drive is what helped me to actually like mowing the lawn.

Honda engines are super smooth and less noisy and the exhaust doesn't smell. I know that sounds weird but you really can barely smell it.
      It go down in the DM

Quote Originally Posted by Seitan View Post
      Man, I want a flail mower so bad. I was looking at used tractor/flail mower combos on ebay for a while (the city of detroit was getting rid of some pretty nice setups for a while). My little IH 244 couldn't handle something larger than a 4-5 footer. Someday when I get the tractor of my dreams I hope to get an 8-10' rear flail and a 5-8' side flail on an arm to take care of all the steep slopes.
      the model on the picture, combined with ~70 hp tractor just goes through everything, even wood up to 15cm of diameter. rocks, soil, doesn't matter

Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Well my 12 year old Honda lawnmower is giving me problems now. There is something wrong with the transmission. It keeps throwing the belt off which renders the drive inop. The shaft for the belt pully that comes out of the transmission is very loose, like something is broken in it.

My dilemma is, do I replace the transmission which is $125.00 on a 12 year old mower? Or do I buy a new mower which is $400.00? It runs fine otherwise.
      It go down in the DM

Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast