I Love LAWNMOWER - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Well my 12 year old Honda lawnmower is giving me problems now. There is something wrong with the transmission. It keeps throwing the belt off which renders the drive inop. The shaft for the belt pully that comes out of the transmission is very loose, like something is broken in it.

My dilemma is, do I replace the transmission which is $125.00 on a 12 year old mower? Or do I buy a new mower which is $400.00? It runs fine otherwise.
      Need more information. Which model? If it's a Harmony, then it may not be worth it. If it's a Masters series or commercial, then absolutely put the money into it.

My dad still regrets getting rid of his HR214 5 years ago when the engine finally died. It was 25 years old and the new engine would have only been 200 or 250 bucks. That thing was a damn tank.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

I have a mid-'80s HT3813 that's still going strong.

It's a Harmony HRT216 S3DA. It was around $400, when new, and ironically a new comparable model is still $400
      It go down in the DM

It's a Harmony HRT216 S3DA. It was around $400, when new, and ironically a new comparable model is still $400
      I honestly don't know what I'd do. You've gotten a lot out of it, but probably can easily get another 5 out of the engine. Maybe it is still worth it to fix.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

I''m looking at the new Honda's and I am not liking the design to engage the wheels. The new ones are controlled by a thumb control. I can just imagine the cramping. I have 1/3 of an acre. Mine right now you just squeeze the bar against the handle and go. Hmmmmm
      It go down in the DM

I''m looking at the new Honda's and I am not liking the design to engage the wheels. The new ones are controlled by a thumb control. I can just imagine the cramping. I have 1/3 of an acre. Mine right now you just squeeze the bar against the handle and go. Hmmmmm
      Yeah, I do not like those thumb controls either. If you feel like going up a little more in price, you can get the 'traditional' Honda controls in the HRX217 -

I love having the separate handle on the left for the blade clutch and transmission drive on the right. It makes letting off the self propel very seamless when making turns. But, it's what I've been used to my whole life with the old HR214 as well.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

I have a postage stamp so I didnt bother with a gasser, got a lithium powered one. It isnt perfect but its so quiet you can talk on the phone while mowing and I dont need to keep gas sitting around.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

So i'm sorta in the market to buy a gas string trimmer.

How do you guys find these brands?

stihl
      toro
      husqvarna
      trOY-BILT
      ECHO

I'm sure they all have ups and downs... but for someone with a small lot(subdivision) what's best? it'll just be used for trimming, I don't need to swap attachments.

I'd like to buy a decent one that will last a long time, and not have to buy another one in a few years. and I want gas.
      Last edited by TurboSupra12; 07-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.

I've got a Ryobi 4-stroke trimmer (mine is a swappable model, but you can get a basic weed wacker in a 4 stroke as well). I've only had it for two seasons, but it's been ok so far. Reasonable price, too. I just don't feel like paying high dollar for one of those...I'm sure some will say that Echo, etc. is the only way to go.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Quote Originally Posted by TurboSupra12 View Post

stihl
      toro
      husqvarna
      try-bilt

I'm sure they all have ups and downs... but for someone with a small lot(subdivision) what's best? it'll just be used for trimming, I don't need to swap attachments.

I'd like to buy a decent one that will last a long time, and not have to buy another one in a few years. and I want gas.
      For a small lot where you are 'trimming' and not tackling overgrown hay field? I have a Stihl FSE 60 electric. It's more powerful than the Home Depot electrics. Durable. No carb to rebuild every few years. My only gripe is I need to look at the online manual every time I re-string it. For my amount of use, that's every couple of years and I always forget how. It's fairly expensive for an electric but you get what you pay for.

I also have an electric leaf blower I use to clean the leaves off my deck every week or so. Another quiet, zero-maintenance tool.

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I have a postage stamp so I didnt bother with a gasser, got a lithium powered one. It isnt perfect but its so quiet you can talk on the phone while mowing and I dont need to keep gas sitting around.
      I loved my AC electric lawnmower when I had my townhouse. That was in the days before Li+, and the only battery option was NiCad (Blech!).
      No muss, no fuss, I always knew it would 'start' in the spring.

The $35 POS electric Weed-n-Trim trimmer I bought at K-mart in 1998 is still going strong too. Never once had a gummed up carb in it.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      I loved my AC electric lawnmower when I had my townhouse. That was in the days before Li+, and the only battery option was NiCad (Blech!).

The $35 POS electric Weed-n-Trim trimmer I bought at K-mart in 1998 is still going strong too. Never once had a gummed up carb in it.
      We're on ~1/4 acre and the only trimmer we use is AC. Works perfectly for us for most of our needs, but I'm getting close to buying a dedicated edging tool for working around our driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post

I have a leaf blower and trimmer that use the same battery. Makes everything super easy, cheap (trimmer and leaf blower were like $50 ea for just the units, no battery), and simple. I don't think I could ever do a 1 acre lawn like I grew up on with battery though. They have chainsaw, polesaw, tiller, and hedge trimmer too, though I don't have a need for those. I also bought their corded pressure washer for $100, was the same price as renting a massive overpowered gasser and I get to keep it.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

stihl
      toro
      husqvarna
      trOY-BILT
      ECHO

I have a Troy-built 4 stroke. It's reliable & easy to work on (take the top end cover off &
      watch the tiny valves go at it).

It doesn't like gas with high ethanol content (although I'm not sure any small engine does).
      Best thing I've found for reliable starts is to not have extra gas in the tank or lines between using.

I had just put new filters & lines in mine & it ran great right off the bat.
      ~ Two weeks later, it would not start. After checking just about everything, I
      emptied it of all fuel & poured new gas in. Primed it & it took two quick pulls
      to get it started & idling smoothly.

I've since started adding Sta-Bil.
      Last edited by 2.DOH.; 07-29-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.FOH!! View Post

I've since started adding Sta-Bil.
      This is an absolute must, with the crap gas we get now. Well today I was off and figured what better way to spend the morning then mowing the lawn. Started it up, engaged the drive, and the belt popped right off, put it back on, got it going, mowed about 20 feet, and it stopped again, transmission is frozen. So I said f it and bought a new mower.

The thumb control has a learning curve, it's adjustable and very light pressure is required. Problem is you hit a bump and it takes off on you. I wish there was a way to limit how fast it goes. I didn't have any cramping though.
      It go down in the DM

I use an old Toro 44" mower to do my yardwork. The thing is about 14 years old and still runs strong. They don't make them like they used to.....
      Past vehicles: 2004 Ford Focus ZX3, 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8t

Quote Originally Posted by swirv View Post
      What is Vag com it? Some sort of website?

I haven't had to use my lawnmower in at least a month. Vancouver and 'burbs haven't had a single MM of rain in July. All the grass is a nice toasty brown colour
      http://globalnews.ca/news/748467/vancouver-sunshine/

I'm actually tired of it and welcome the rain to cool off.

Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      I haven't had to use my lawnmower in at least a month. Vancouver and 'burbs haven't had a single MM of rain in July. All the grass is a nice toasty brown colour
      http://globalnews.ca/news/748467/vancouver-sunshine/

I'm actually tired of it and welcome the rain to cool off.
      I don't think we have had measurable rain in 12 weeks if not more. Sprinkler takes care of that though.

My rigs (plus two Exmarks and an older Gravely 152 not pictured). I love cutting grass.

Moved from North Florida to Texas havent seen grass in 5 weeks. Never thought I'd miss cutting grass everyweek lol

Blog Entries

stihl
      toro
      husqvarna
      trOY-BILT
      ECHO
      I've got some experience with several of the brands listed above. I'm a big fan of Echo gas trimmers as my parents had one growing up. We had ours for at least 10 years and it never gave us even a hiccup. Wonderful machine, though ours was purchased in 1990 or so.

We just recently purchased a house and now I needed my own gas trimmer. Despite really liking the Echo, I just didn't want to spend my own money on one. I bought a Toro trimmer from HD because I liked the Toro gas mower I used as a kid. To be honest, I didn't really like it much. It felt cheap and chintsy compared with the old Echo I was used to. I have no real proof (other than the site of assembly), but I suspect that what I really ended up buying was a rebranded Homelite---though a similar Homelite was like $50 cheaper.

As luck would have it, Hurricane Sandy fully destroyed the Toro after about 3 uses. Thankfully. So then I looked around a bit and found that Consumer Reports gave the Stihl FS45 the highest rating last year and it was only like $15 more than the Toro. So I took my insurance money and added a little of my own and bought the Stihl. Then I read a whole bunch of user reviews stating that the trimmer had problems starting and many had to take their FS45s into the shop quite a bit. Too late though! I've been avoiding ethanol blended fuel with the hopes that it would help the reliability a bit. I've used it probably 6 or so times this season and like it quite a bit. It feels much better built than the Toro and it's pretty light. My yard is small overall (I think it's a total of a quarter acre or so), but at the moment my back yard is all weeds, so I use the FS45 exclusively keep the weeds at bay. It's been a great machine thus far and would recommend it. I would also recommend the Echo, unless the current models are garbage compared with the older trimmers. Oh, and all of the trimmers I have experience with are 2-cycle.

I'll be looking at leaf blowers in the next couple of months and will probably stick with Stihl or Echo. It's amazing how much of a mess such a small plot of land can attract, but that's likely due to all the mature trees in the area and various shrubbery.

215 All Day

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      Creep my new instagram - Chrispluscars

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I've got some experience with several of the brands listed above. I'm a big fan of Echo gas trimmers as my parents had one growing up. We had ours for at least 10 years and it never gave us even a hiccup. Wonderful machine, though ours was purchased in 1990 or so.

We just recently purchased a house and now I needed my own gas trimmer. Despite really liking the Echo, I just didn't want to spend my own money on one. I bought a Toro trimmer from HD because I liked the Toro gas mower I used as a kid. To be honest, I didn't really like it much. It felt cheap and chintsy compared with the old Echo I was used to. I have no real proof (other than the site of assembly), but I suspect that what I really ended up buying was a rebranded Homelite---though a similar Homelite was like $50 cheaper.

As luck would have it, Hurricane Sandy fully destroyed the Toro after about 3 uses. Thankfully. So then I looked around a bit and found that Consumer Reports gave the Stihl FS45 the highest rating last year and it was only like $15 more than the Toro. So I took my insurance money and added a little of my own and bought the Stihl. Then I read a whole bunch of user reviews stating that the trimmer had problems starting and many had to take their FS45s into the shop quite a bit. Too late though! I've been avoiding ethanol blended fuel with the hopes that it would help the reliability a bit. I've used it probably 6 or so times this season and like it quite a bit. It feels much better built than the Toro and it's pretty light. My yard is small overall (I think it's a total of a quarter acre or so), but at the moment my back yard is all weeds, so I use the FS45 exclusively keep the weeds at bay. It's been a great machine thus far and would recommend it. I would also recommend the Echo, unless the current models are garbage compared with the older trimmers. Oh, and all of the trimmers I have experience with are 2-cycle.

I'll be looking at leaf blowers in the next couple of months and will probably stick with Stihl or Echo. It's amazing how much of a mess such a small plot of land can attract, but that's likely due to all the mature trees in the area and various shrubbery.
      I highly recommend getting a backpack blower for your next purchase. And I also recommend sticking with Stihl. I bought an Echo backpack blower on sale to have an extra laying around and honestly it just sits at the shop not getting used. Instead I use one of the other Stihls (BR350, BR 430, BR550, and BR600).

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I don't think we have had measurable rain in 12 weeks if not more. Sprinkler takes care of that though.
      We can only use sprinklers once a week for a few hours. This is, iirc, year 3 of this drought with no sign of relief. At least I do not need to mow much in the +100* heat.

I don't come to OT often, but when I do it's to find lawn mower threads.

Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast