Homemade GU Recipes
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.

Homemade GU Recipes

When I go on longer runs (road or trail), I bring a homemade GU of Peanut Butter, Honey and Cinnamon. As much as I like the flavor, it is getting old.

Does anyone else make their own GU/gel?

New flavors are welcomed!
      Last edited by 4-Dr-W-a-T; 07-08-2013 at 03:09 PM.

I don't know what GU is or why I would want to eat while I'm exercising.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      I don't know what GU is or why I would want to eat while I'm exercising.
      After running 10-12 miles up in the mountains, my body tells me i need some kind fuel to keep going. This is typically what long distance (marathon-ultramarathon) runners use so they don't run out of glycogen.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-Dr-W-a-T View Post
      After running 10-12 miles up in the mountains, my body tells me i need some kind fuel to keep going. This is typically what long distance (marathon-ultramarathon) runners use so they don't run out of glycogen.
      That'll be a big no thanks on that one chief. I run 3 miles and that's it!
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Cant imagine that peanut butter is what you're looking for mid workout. Mostly fat and protein, wouldnt you be looking for sugars?
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Quote Originally Posted by 4-Dr-W-a-T View Post
      When I go on longer runs (road or trail), I bring a homemade GU of Peanut Butter, Honey and Cinnamon. As much as I like the flavor, it is getting old.

Does anyone else make their own GU/gel?

New flavors are welcomed!
      have you looked on www.roadbikereview.com forums for homemade GU alternatives?
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Cant imagine that peanut butter is what you're looking for mid workout. Mostly fat and protein, wouldnt you be looking for sugars?
      Yeah I know, the first time I ever made it, I was looking for something to thicken the recipe, and peanut butter was right in front of me...

My latest concoction was Apple Sauce, Honey, instant coffee, and powdered chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      For long workouts (and rides)... PB&J is a common fuel cyclists eat.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

GU thingy can be used even while working out or is it just for people who run?