VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

TTRS Clutch Options

115K views 282 replies 53 participants last post by  JMBone 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looks like I'll be in need of a clutch sooner than later. Went out today with my stage II on the highway and slipped pretty good a couple of times, especially when cold. It seemed to hold better when everything was hot, which I find strange.. Anyway, the only options I see for aftermarket clutches is a four puck from APR and a clutch that was used in this build (http://www.redlinespeedworx.com/apr-ttrs-stage-3-build-gtx-3576-650hp-daily-driven/).

Having a 6 puck in previous cars, I'm not sure I want something that hardcore in the TTRS in terms of engagement. I don't mind a stiffer pedal as long as I can slip it. Should I look at options in the UK?

Thanks!

#134 ·
clutch

Not yet, I'm hoping to go for a drive today. Kind of want to keep the milage to a min until we get the final tune on there.

#137 ·
I got the SB installed. Chatter isn't bad at all and I came from a very quiet stage 3 DSG setup on my GTI. You can barely hear it in the cabin and I have friends that have much worse. The pedal travel is reduced by a good 60% and very firm to hold it down stopped at a light. I've got 150 miles on it and breaking it in with the LSD too. I'll report back once I beat the hell out of it. I'm very happy with it so far. Light blips of low boost in 2nd thru 4th and holds well. I do hear some vibrations getting injected into the cabin from the clutch. Can't say if I would notice or if they would even exist if I didn't install an HPA puck when I installed the clutch.

#141 ·
chatter

so i just picked up my car with the new sachs stg 2 and loba stage 3 kit. I cant comment on the new turbo yet as the tune isnt on there. the new clutch however...this is going to take a bit of getting used to especially getting out of first on any kind of an incline. as others have stated, the point of engagement is so much less with the clutch pedal. i have to re wire myself not to put the clutch to the floor when shifting from a dead stop. im trying my ass off not to really slip the clutch too much in first or reverse but i dont see how its possible not to. i do get chatter both through the pedal and audibly outside the car. i know its normal but i guess i just need to learn how to dive again! lol
any tips on how to rewire my thought process on how to start out of first would be greatly appreciated. so far i am going with revs are my friend method, and driving in sport is actually easier

#142 ·
so i just picked up my car with the new sachs stg 2 and loba stage 3 kit. I cant comment on the new turbo yet as the tune isnt on there. the new clutch however...this is going to take a bit of getting used to especially getting out of first on any kind of an incline. as others have stated, the point of engagement is so much less with the clutch pedal. i have to re wire myself not to put the clutch to the floor when shifting from a dead stop. im trying my ass off not to really slip the clutch too much in first or reverse but i dont see how its possible not to. i do get chatter both through the pedal and audibly outside the car. i know its normal but i guess i just need to learn how to dive again! lol
any tips on how to rewire my thought process on how to start out of first would be greatly appreciated. so far i am going with revs are my friend method, and driving in sport is actually easier
I guess I got partially used to the new engagement point by starting with the Sachs organic first. :)

I slip it a bit in 1st and reverse to get going. Your foot will get used to the new engagement point and it'll become second nature. The chatter should reduce as they wear in a bit better over the next thousand miles.

At this point I get just a little shuddering when I pull away, but it's not as bad as I was expecting at all.

Can you post a video?

#143 ·
I'd like to hear more about that Loba turbo if you don't mind doing up a review! I'm looking into it and trying to find a good source for the parts and the tune. I'd also be getting the AWE intercooler, it looks like you have everything I'm looking to do! Is it safe to drive without being tuned and did you send your turbo away to be rebuilt? Sorry for the hijack. I'm also interested in clutches because of this and appreciate the info so far!

#144 ·
hey there...

Contact the guys at AWE Tuning, I worked with them on this build. They can fill you in on everything. GIAC is doing the tune so if you decide to go that direction, they will have the tune dialed with my car as I am local to them.

#149 ·
Just let two friends drive the car with SB clutch. One is an HPDE instructor and the other has a 450whp stage 4 clutch and they absolutely loved the feel of it. Also got into some nice pulls to 4500rpm and smooth as butter! They were both giddie.

#152 ·
clutch

thanks for the input from everyone on the clutches and the feel they get when driving.

#158 · (Edited)
SPEC Clutches now lists TT-RS applications directly on their website: http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Audi/TT-RS/2012/Single

All the way up to "Stage 5" :D Note that it looks like a single mass (SPEC) flywheel is required with all of the kits, so these are going to not be as quite as OEM. Expect the possibility of transmission gear rattle at idle, if they at anything like the single mass flywheel clutch kits for the 2.0 TFSI engine. Maybe that extra cylinder will smooth things out enough to avoid it with the TT-RS. With my 2011 GTI, the single mass flywheel conversion made it sound a bit like a diesel at idle, in neutral with the AC running. It was fine until I went to trade it in, which resulted in a hit for it "needing a new clutch" according to the dealer.

Now we just need some people to try them out and report back...

#160 · (Edited)
I got 1300 miles on the southbend stage 3 and still solid and smooth. I started banging on it at 800 miles doing wot pulls and VERY free spirited driving and hasn't let me down once or acted up in any way. Can't be happier with it right now. I'm a saving the LC for the strip and better tires so nothing to report there.

I registered for a 2-day hpde but it was full so I cannot provide any feedback on the track yet. The wavetrac differential is amazing thru the twisties on the back roads so I can only imagine how it will feel with some R compounds. Undulating roads can be downright scary now with the diff and stage 2 torque! :laugh::laugh:.

ninja edit: plus I'm using no lift shift built into my tune running wide open 2nd thru 5th. Clutch doesn't skip a beat.

#162 ·
Just received this email from our Dakar client:

Issam,
I have some good news.
We used the clutch and diff during our latest race in Mugello.
They performed very well.
Although the race itself wasn't a success, The gearbox was misused by one of the drivers, resulting in a blown syncro mesh of the second gear. We had to return to the old gearbox setup.
This is on a FWD TDI Tiguan with a Wavetrac FWD 0A6 LSD installed & South Bend endurance unsprung Clutch Disc & PP (OEM DMF still being used due to being a TDI). Looks like those syncro's are becoming problematic though which we will have to look into for upgrading.
I must say I am excited about all these various 0A6 developments going on!

#163 ·
Just received this email from our Dakar client:

This is on a FWD TDI Tiguan with a Wavetrac FWD 0A6 LSD installed & South Bend endurance unsprung Clutch Disc & PP (OEM DMF still being used due to being a TDI). Looks like those syncro's are becoming problematic though which we will have to look into for upgrading.
I must say I am excited about all these various 0A6 developments going on!
When did South Bend start offering a kit compatible with the OEM DMF? Their experts said they could do it if a compatible Sachs unit was provided to them, but suggested they hadn't done one before like that for the TTRS.

I've heard of a few instances now of synchro issues requiring rebuilds of the trans, but all from tuner owner cars or raced cars.

#165 ·
I'd say the southbend options Issam has are the ones to go for. I can vouch for what he says about southbends customer care. A friends 2.0tfsi with 500+hp ran into some issues and Southend warrantied it straight away no questions asked. Now that is tip top service.

#166 ·
South Bend Stage 3

I just completed a three day track event at Summit Point over the weekend. I was 100% satisfied with the SB Stage 3 clutch the NGP recommended for me when I needed a new clutch. It was funny that when I got the APR Stage 1 Tune, my clutch started slipping, I guess that is what I get for adding over 100 lbft of torque:laugh:

Anyway, I could not be happier with the APR Tune and its performance over stock. I am a National Instructor with the PCA and run in the Red run group (the fastest) and I was able to keep up with some very highly modified cars. Needless to say, the improvement over my stock numbers is impressive. I am sure Arin at APR will be happy to know the results.

Great job to NGP for the recommendation and install:thumbup:

Great job to APR for the impressive increase in performance:thumbup:

Watkins Glen is next, watch out people!

#167 ·
I just completed a three day track event at Summit Point over the weekend. I was 100% satisfied with the SB Stage 3 clutch the NGP recommended for me when I needed a new clutch. It was funny that when I got the APR Stage 1 Tune, my clutch started slipping, I guess that is what I get for adding over 100 lbft of torque:laugh:

Anyway, I could not be happier with the APR Tune and its performance over stock. I am a National Instructor with the PCA and run in the Red run group (the fastest) and I was able to keep up with some very highly modified cars. Needless to say, the improvement over my stock numbers is impressive. I am sure Arin at APR will be happy to know the results.

Great job to NGP for the recommendation and install:thumbup:

Great job to APR for the impressive increase in performance:thumbup:

Watkins Glen is next, watch out people!
Awesome! Glad to see some great clutch options out there for folks.

#191 ·
And another one in the books for South Bend /Wavetrac with respect to Endurance Racing.

Bart and his team recently participated in the 24H of Nurburgring which was a huge event with over 200,000 fans watching . They ended up winning there class in AT!

This Seat Leon is running a BKD Diesel engine and an 0A6 gearbox converted to FWD. (similar to the 4 motion units)
This set up is a South Bend Stage 5 Endurance clutch with Sachs racing Flywheel running 520Nm & 285hp.

Read more here:
http://autosport.nl/klasse/nieuws/2...weld-nederlandse-klassezege-in-24u-nrburgring

Good job Bart! :thumbup:

#193 ·
Whatever upgrades were made are currently still in testing. There are OEM parts that are an "upgrade" over what is available in the 0A6 but again , these are still in the testing phase. Don't really want to launch anything until we know for sure the gremlins are taken care of as we have seen what going down that road does in the past with respect to other vendors.
That being said , the adapted 0A6's for VR6 configuration have been surviving 800+Nm of torque so far! :D

#194 ·
I have been looking into building a K04 Tiguan 6speed fwd and from what I've read on here and other forums is that I can almost count on the clutch ****ting the bed.

I'm just curious if a stock ttrs clutch would be a direct fit on 2.0T tsi tiguan 0a6?

Not looking at ever making more than 350ft lbs but want something user friendly as its the Daily.

#199 ·
Pro tip to this having 1st Gear & 2nd Gear syncro issues. Force full the gearbox with oil 10mm over the feed port to aid in lubricating/cooling the syncro's. We are working with a Seat Leon customer to incorporate a Gearbox Oil cooler and will report back how it fares with the brass selector fork bushings.

#204 ·
INA, any updates on transmission upgrades? I need to finally have this new clutch installed that I bought over a year ago... Keep waiting so that I can upgrade the transmission at the same time, but haven't heard of much progress being made. Installing a Wavetrac would be an obvious choice, but otherwise are there other areas to be concerned about?

I have a dual disc, organic faced clutch and single mass flywheel made by Helix Motorsport UK ready to go in, but started getting paranoid about the impact to transmission reliability from this setup. The clutch itself seems to have proven itself in high HP European cars, though most run the cerametallic clutch discs.

Have single mass flywheels been tearing up transmission internals?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.