GTI MkVII wheel thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast

GTI MkVII wheel thread

If there is one already please delete but i'd like to see some Mk7's with aftermarket wheels. The stock 18's are terrible and will be the first to go for me. Feel free to post up any good pics you have.

One of the wheels i'm looking at, Enkei RS05RR

There's a start off google image search...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeC1982 View Post
      One of the wheels i'm looking at, Enkei RS05RR
      Those Enkei's are very very nice. They don't even look bad on a stock suspension (which how my next VW will remain if I decide to go with a GTI).

Here is another thread that has a mix of stock and aftermarket wheels:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Some-MK7-Pics

I'm struggling with this a little bit because I've never bought aftermarket alloy wheels before. How important is it to get wheels that match the center bore? I'm seeing some cautionary tales against centering rings. So far the only wheels I've found with a 57.1mm center bore are from VW (I do like the Laguna wheels they're putting on the 2014 MKVI in the US), the Neuspeed wheels, the BBS CO and CS5 wheels, and the VWR wheels (although those seem to be hard to find in the states).

Quote Originally Posted by mostchillin View Post
      Those Enkei's are very very nice. They don't even look bad on a stock suspension (which how my next VW will remain if I decide to go with a GTI).

Here is another thread that has a mix of stock and aftermarket wheels:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Some-MK7-Pics
      Thanks for the link, definitely am considering the Night Blue as my first choice now. Anybody know what wheels are on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle J View Post
      I'm struggling with this a little bit because I've never bought aftermarket alloy wheels before. How important is it to get wheels that match the center bore? I'm seeing some cautionary tales against centering rings. So far the only wheels I've found with a 57.1mm center bore are from VW (I do like the Laguna wheels they're putting on the 2014 MKVI in the US), the Neuspeed wheels, the BBS CO and CS5 wheels, and the VWR wheels (although those seem to be hard to find in the states).

I have had tons of aftermarket wheels, probably 10 sets in the last 2 years. Hub rings are a non issue and better to use them than not in my opinion. The only exception would be if you were to track the car because it could melt the plastic ones or crack the metal ones.

If you need any help send me a message.

I prefer the 18" Austins to anything else I've seen in the galleries, but then again I also really liked the round cut out design on the 2011-2013 Mk 6's. Good news for me I guess cause it'll be less $$ to spend. Not a fan of the 19" Santiagos either.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeC1982 View Post
      Thanks for the link, definitely am considering the Night Blue as my first choice now. Anybody know what wheels are on this one?

Those appear to be the ATS Racelight in grey:
      http://www.ats-wheels.com/ats_wheels...mid=58&lang=en

So are the MkVII and MkVI wheels the same bolt diameter, offset and hub diameter?

Does anyone know the brake size on the north american golf? Will a 15" 5x112 steelie fit?
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      Does anyone know the brake size on the north american golf? Will a 15" 5x112 steelie fit?
      On the golf you will be able to run a 15" wheel on the Gti it's 16" unless you get the PP and then 17"
      Is the smallest size you will be able to run

We havent owned a VW with a TPMS in the wheels. If you replace with a set of aftermarket wheels or winter steelies that do not have this do you have to live with the annoying light on the dash glaring at you?
      2003 1.8T GTI
      2001 1.8T GTI
      2002 1.8T Jetta GLS
      2002 B5.5 Passat 1.8T SOLD
      2015 GTI SE 6spd

Those appear to be the ATS Racelight in grey:
      http://www.ats-wheels.com/ats_wheels...mid=58&lang=en
      Thank you, i like them in the hyper silver for my color choices and the 18x8.5 would be great if the offset is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6506 View Post
      We havent owned a VW with a TPMS in the wheels. If you replace with a set of aftermarket wheels or winter steelies that do not have this do you have to live with the annoying light on the dash glaring at you?
      You may be able to purchase an additional set of sensors and have them programmed also, not sure about VW's but i'd think it would be possible.

8,5x20 ET48 with 235/30 ZR20

Wow no way i could do 20's with our roads, i'm hoping to stick with 18's but maybe do 19's. I like that ATS wheel but figure it probably won't be easy to come by in the USA. This is one i'm considering if i did 19's. TSW Rouen shown below on Audi TT in 20"

Call me a ricer, but I think these would look sick on a black GTI...Black with red stripes would match the stripe on the headlights real nice!

Banned
      If anybody knows how to post pictures pm me with your email address and I will send you a pic of an optional wheel I found today on my VW training site. awesome looking rim but I dont know how to post pictures.

Banned
      These are the wheels I would like. 19 inch Santiago wheels. Shout out to Seattle J!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewBachmanVW View Post
      These are the wheels I would like. 19 inch Santiago wheels. Shout out to Seattle J!
      Just to be clear, are you saying you have information that suggests these will be available in the U.S.? If so, you may have just cemented your status as a rock star on this site.
      Last edited by Seattle J; 05-01-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Just to be clear, are you saying you have information that suggests these will be available in the U.S.? If so, you may have just cemented your status as a rock star on this site.
      They really should come with Performance Pack since it has the larger rotors, or at least offer as an option maybe bundled with the summer tires. I don't really want to do 19's but they are much better looking than the 18's.

Got the price on the VMR 810 i was leaning toward and it's a little more than i want to spend. Rotiform always does a really big sale on Black Friday which is right about the time i'll be purchasing so maybe i can get something there.

Changed my mind on color too, probably going with Reflex Silver now or maybe grey or white just going to wait and see them in person.
      Last edited by JoeC1982; 05-01-2014 at 10:46 AM.

8.5x20 ET45 with 235/30 ZR 20

Guys - just out of curiosity, what is it that most of you don't like about the 18" Austins, besides them being heavier than is ideal?
      My MK7 GTI Build - roger2050

'15 Pure White GTI | Autobahn | DSG | APR Stg 1 | APR Carbon Fiber Intake | APR Turbo Muffler Delete | GFB DV+ | Res/Muffler Delete | LED Tails

I like these..

Quote Originally Posted by Orbital77 View Post
      I like these..

I just threw up in my mouth a little...
      Are those off a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek?
      Last edited by Paul6506; 05-01-2014 at 04:18 PM.
      2003 1.8T GTI
      2001 1.8T GTI
      2002 1.8T Jetta GLS
      2002 B5.5 Passat 1.8T SOLD
      2015 GTI SE 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by roger2050 View Post
      Guys - just out of curiosity, what is it that most of you don't like about the 18" Austins, besides them being heavier than is ideal?
      The same thing I don't like about the 18" Detroits on the MKVI: they look heavy and the black paint looks tacky. I fully understand that's personal preference, and others here love both of those. To me, the Laguna, AKA Watkins Glen, wheels they have on the 2014 US GTI are the best looking wheels available on any car. I just wish they were a 17" wheel for the improved performance, ride, and mileage. Lucky for me the BBS SR are available in 17" size and look almost identical to the Lagunas.

Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast