GTI MkVII wheel thread - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle J View Post
      The same thing I don't like about the 18" Detroits on the MKVI: they look heavy and the black paint looks tacky. I fully understand that's personal preference, and others here love both of those. To me, the Laguna, AKA Watkins Glen, wheels they have on the 2014 US GTI are the best looking wheels available on any car. I just wish they were a 17" wheel for the improved performance, ride, and mileage. Lucky for me the BBS SR are available in 17" size and look almost identical to the Lagunas.
      AMEN!!
      2003 1.8T GTI
      2001 1.8T GTI
      2002 1.8T Jetta GLS
      2002 B5.5 Passat 1.8T SOLD
      2015 GTI SE 6spd

I am a big fan of the stock 18's. I have been modifying cars for about 15 yrs and this is one of the first car's OEM wheels I haven't wanted to change. Maybe I am just getting old but my eyes disagree with the majority of the wheels in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by lowlightbw View Post
      I am a big fan of the stock 18's. I have been modifying cars for about 15 yrs and this is one of the first car's OEM wheels I haven't wanted to change. Maybe I am just getting old but my eyes disagree with the majority of the wheels in this thread
      I agree that these wheels *look* heavy, and they probably are on the heavy side (don't know weight off the top of my head), but I like their simple, uncluttered design - same goes for the huffs and Detroits of yesteryear. It's worth mentioning, though, that I HATE the black paint because it does look tacky, and it eventually fades, scratches, spiderwebbing happens, etc and it looks like garbage.

However, the Watkins Glen wheels do look fantastic - in fact, it's one of the few BBS-style wheels that I actually like (they're typically too busy for my taste).
      My MK7 GTI Build - roger2050

'15 Pure White GTI | Autobahn | DSG | APR Stg 1 | APR Carbon Fiber Intake | APR Turbo Muffler Delete | GFB DV+ | Res/Muffler Delete | LED Tails

Quote Originally Posted by roger2050 View Post
      I agree that these wheels *look* heavy, and they probably are on the heavy side (don't know weight off the top of my head), but I like their simple, uncluttered design - same goes for the huffs and Detroits of yesteryear. It's worth mentioning, though, that I HATE the black paint because it does look tacky, and it eventually fades, scratches, spiderwebbing happens, etc and it looks like garbage.

However, the Watkins Glen wheels do look fantastic - in fact, it's one of the few BBS-style wheels that I actually like (they're typically too busy for my taste).
      I like the Laguna wheels too, i like a mesh design on the GTI and most euro cars. That black GTI above looks great but can't believe guys are doing 20's.

I have had 2 cars in the past couple years, a Scion FRS and now a Cadillac ATS and i work in the auto business so i buy and sell wheels a lot. I also want something wider with lower offset to get them flush with the fenders.

VWR 19's on order. Pics soon.

I love the 18's but the 19" wheel will fill everything up that much better, without sacrificing the ride quality. And as far as black paint on an already VERY EASY to cleam OEM wheel, nothing a bit of polish and elbow grease cant fix. Opticoat or other coatings can also keep things looking new, for a long time.

- Awesome to those rocking 20's.. I dig it, but those rubber bands
      '15 M235i Performance Edition w/LSD 6MT - His
      '15 GTI Autobahn 5dr - DSG Stage 2 - Hers

iracing.com - The best simulation racing software, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6506 View Post
      We havent owned a VW with a TPMS in the wheels. If you replace with a set of aftermarket wheels or winter steelies that do not have this do you have to live with the annoying light on the dash glaring at you?
      I don't believe we have sensors in the mk7. I will know soon for sure when I get my wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theboilermaker View Post
      I don't believe we have sensors in the mk7. I will know soon for sure when I get my wheels.
      Dealer told me the same. Says it compares wheel rotations, as more new cars do. Have not yet verified, but not having to deal with sensors will be great.
      2015 GTI S | 2006 Miata Sport | 2006 Jetta 2.0T | 2002 Impreza 2.5TS | 1993 Sentra SE-R | 1987 Subaru GL wagon
      dj Lord Bass on Facebook. Stream the new mix Turkey Techno III

VMR V710

needs moar low by LK_335, on Flickr

Wheels by LK_335, on Flickr

im new here by LK_335, on Flickr

I thought the factory rims looked good. but I got a great deal on these and the dealer took the factory rims in on trade. I paid very little for all four installed. And now I don't got to deal with the unpainted wheel debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredin View Post
      VMR V710

needs moar low by LK_335, on Flickr

Wheels by LK_335, on Flickr

im new here by LK_335, on Flickr

I thought the factory rims looked good. but I got a great deal on these and the dealer took the factory rims in on trade. I paid very little for all four installed. And now I don't got to deal with the unpainted wheel debacle.
      Looks great man.

Just put down a deposit on a Reflex Silver, Autobahn, Lighting Package and DSG for September delivery.
      I accually like the new factory wheels. The only way I would switch them out is if the dealer bought my factory wheels.
      But those VMR V710's are so sexxy.

Mine with Vossen CV3 8.5x19" ET 45 235/35 19

- 2014 Golf GTI
      - 2002 Golf 1.9 TDI 150PD 4-MOTION
      x 1991 Golf GL 1.6td Intercooler
      x 2007 Golf R TSI Nr.96

Hartmann HLP-410
      19X8.5 ET45
      12mm rear spacers

On ST-XTA coilovers

Night Blue 2014 MK7 GTI DSG | Build thread here
      Bull-X Cat-less DP | Custom Catback | HF Series CAI | HF Series Intercooler | Snow Performance W\M Injection | EuroDyne Stage 2 91

249WHP - 265WTQ on Mustang Dyno (Old setup with shark peformance tune box)

Quote Originally Posted by aloha R32 View Post
      Just put down a deposit on a Reflex Silver, Autobahn, Lighting Package and DSG for September delivery.
      I accually like the new factory wheels. The only way I would switch them out is if the dealer bought my factory wheels.
      But those VMR V710's are so sexxy.
      that was my exact thought process when it came to the wheel situation on the MK7

I had some Talladega reps I bought back in 2010 that I was going to get fixed up and put on the GTI, but trading the factory rims for 710's was going to be a lot cheaper. and there you have it

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredin View Post
      that was my exact thought process when it came to the wheel situation on the MK7

I had some Talladega reps I bought back in 2010 that I was going to get fixed up and put on the GTI, but trading the factory rims for 710's was going to be a lot cheaper. and there you have it
      Can I ask what Talladega reps you had? Love those wheels and considering getting some for my car. Unfortunately, most OEM ones for sale these days aren't pristine and/or are too pricy.
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+ | Delivered June 2, 2014

S F L M K 7 / / /

A D A M S H E I K H . C O M

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSheikh View Post
      Can I ask what Talladega reps you had? Love those wheels and considering getting some for my car. Unfortunately, most OEM ones for sale these days aren't pristine and/or are too pricy.
      RWC / replica wheel canada

I also have a set of Audi 17" 5 spoke rims, don't recall what the style is and I can't find them on google image search that I use for my winters. I think they were the stock wheel on the 2008 Audi A4 Wagon.I almost liked them better than my Talladega's style wise...

Anyone have opinions on the VW Anthracite or Motorsport Wheels through VW?

Even better would be if someone had the invoice price on them...

Loving this thread - it's good to see what fits. Some of you have done this already, but it would help if everyone posted the exact size and offset of your wheels. I'm surprised that 8.5" wide and ET45 offset fit as well as they do. I would have expected that size to poke. The MKVII wheel wells must be pretty large.
      2016 GTI SE Performance Pack
      2013 Tig SEL

Quote Originally Posted by vr61997 View Post
      That looks awesome.

Seems as though this style of wheel looks incredibly good on this car. Has become a popular style. Would like to see some true BBS CH-R's

Quote Originally Posted by erick.s View Post
      Loving this thread - it's good to see what fits. Some of you have done this already, but it would help if everyone posted the exact size and offset of your wheels. I'm surprised that 8.5" wide and ET45 offset fit as well as they do. I would have expected that size to poke. The MKVII wheel wells must be pretty large.
      That info plus tire size and suspension set-up (stock or aftermarket) would be helpful as well.

Nice looking GTI vr6 - well done!

Post one pic of your wheel setup

It's always nice to have a mega thread where people can see what wheel setups they like or dislike. I'm still shopping for a replacement set as the GTI wheels are the only thing about the car that I completely dislike.

I'm with you! I'll soon be replacing my stock Austins with VMR 702's set to arrive this week!
      I'll post pics once I get them.

However, this thread was already created so I'm posting it for reference: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ghlight=Wheels
      CSG Mark VII GTI w/ | APR Stage 2 | | APR Downpipe | | APR Intake | | ECS Flush Kit | | VWR Springs | | Gloss Black Badgeskin Front Emblem |

VMR 710 19 x 8.5 ET45 - 235/35/19

2017 WRX
      2015 GTI SE CSG - SOLD!
      Instagram: gn4rwhals

Looks awesome! I keep going back & forth between 18" and 19" dia. I don't even have the car yet.

Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast