VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

APR Presents the MK7 GTI ECU Upgrade!

602K views 2K replies 359 participants last post by  reticulan 
#1 · (Edited)
APR 2.0 TSI Generation 3 ECU Upgrade for the MQB Platform

Product Page

APR is pleased to present the ultimate engine control unit (ECU) upgrade for the Generation 3, 2.0 TSI engine as found in the MQB platform vehicles. APR’s ECU upgrade is available in octane-specific variations and is conveniently flashed to the vehicle’s factory ECU through the OBD-II port without any physical modification to the factory ECU.

The Continental SIMOS 12 & 18 engine management system is responsible for proper operation of the engine during constantly changing environmental and load conditions. With built in compensational data for environmental variables and varying load conditions, the factory ECU is far more complex and intelligent than units found in other vehicle makes and marques.

APR’s Calibration Engineers spent months calibrating the engine management system, including many hours of in-house chassis dyno development. With a thorough understanding of the ECU’s torque structure, APR’s Calibration Engineers properly increased engine load to produce more power and torque from idle to redline. APR’s ECU Upgrade increases turbocharger boost pressure and optimizes cam timing, valve lift, ignition timing, lambda and more to produce higher output. Using APR’s proprietary high-speed data logging suite, the calibration team closely monitored the effects of these changes to ensure a powerful ECU upgrade without derogating the engine’s drivability or reliability.

APR’s ECU Upgrade will provide an excellent leap in power and torque while retaining OEM knock control sensitivity and other built in safety features. The result is safely achieved power, optimized for various fuel grades found around the world. We call it Performance Without Compromise!

APR Stage I ECU Upgrade

The APR Stage I ECU Upgrade is designed to work without requiring other changes to the vehicle’s hardware. With the ECU Upgrade alone, APR’s Calibration Experts measured higher peak figures of 381 ft-lbs of torque and 316 horsepower with 93 AKI octane fuel. Large gains were seen throughout the power band, including an additional 114 ft-lbs of torque and 87 horsepower. Even higher figures were acheived using 100 AKI octane race fuel. The increase in power directly translates to an exceptionally quicker vehicle. Using advanced GPS measuring devices and the local IHRA certified drag strip, APR’s engineers conducted several acceleration tests. During the quarter mile sprint, the APR Stage I equipped vehicle crossed the finish line 1.094 seconds quicker, with an exit speed 13.3 MPH faster!

APR’s ECU upgrade is the best power per dollar modification for the new 2.0 TSI engine and takes the vehicle’s performance to similar levels typically reserved for higher output, sporty models, without pushing the limits. With factory-like smoothness and drivability, APR’s ECU upgrade will fill the void in an otherwise excellent vehicle.

Acceleration Enhancements:

Beyond power and torque enhancements, APR’s Calibration Engineers were able to increase the acceleration rate of the vehicle through other calibrations changes. Ignition delay is reduced resulting in a more responsive pedal without altering overall throttle sensitivity. Furthermore, drivability was greatly improved by reducing the throttle lag commonly noticed at slow speeds and while reapplying throttle after decelerating.

Increased Fuel Economy:

APR’s Calibration Engineers paid close attention to several parameters directly related to fuel economy, especially while cruising at highway speeds. Depending on driving style and fuel quality, better miles per gallon may be achieved!

Speed Limiter:

APR’s ECU upgrade increases the vehicle's top speed limiter for blistering sprints around the track or across the Autobahn without the speed limiter shutting down the fun!

Left Foot Braking / Brake Boosting:

APR's Left Foot Braking feature allows more control over the vehicle’s throttle. The factory equipped vehicle's throttle input is disabled while pressing the accelerator and brake at the same time. Left Foot Braking, a common motorsport driving technique, allows the driver complete control over the vehicle’s throttle and braking system, which may give the vehicle the edge it needs at the track. As is with all features APR adds to the ECU, this feature may be removed upon request.

Clutch Protection:

APR’s standard Stage I ECU Upgrade offers a large increase in low-end torque, which may overpower the factory clutch. While APR did not experience clutch slip at the advertised torque levels and even higher, others may due to clutch health and driving style. APR recommends upgrading slipping clutches, but has also created special software designed to deliver the same peak horsepower with a cap on low end torque to reduce or eliminate slipping. These specific files are available with various torque caps set lower than the standard Stage I ECU Upgrade.

Torque Management:

Torque management plays a big role in how the vehicle feels and preforms, especially during moments of low gear, rapid acceleration. Typically front wheel drive vehicles suffer from excessive wheel spin during these moments due to the massive amount of torque on tap from the ECU upgrade. APR’s ECU Upgrade uses advanced torque management routines to minimize wheel spin and maximize forward acceleration so the driver can focus on enjoying the additional torque and power on tap. We call it Performance Without Compromise!

Crank figures | Wheel Figures | Gain Over Stock - 91 Octane
Crank figures | Wheel Figures | Gain Over Stock - 93 Octane
Crank figures | Wheel Figures | Gain Over Stock - 100 Octane

APR Stage I ECU Upgrade Calibration Report

210, 220 & 230 HP & 258 FT-LBS - Stock as reported by VW
235 HP & 270 FT-LBS of torque - Stock as mesured and estimated at the crank by APR
305 HP & 371 FT-LBS of torque +78 HP @ 3,950 RPM / +105 FT-LBS of Torque @ 3,700 RPM - 91 AKI / 95 RON
316 HP & 381 FT-LBS of torque +87 HP @ 4,050 RPM / +114 FT-LBS of Torque @ 3,800 RPM - 93 AKI / 98 RON
328 HP & 382 FT-LBS of torque +97 HP @ 4,150 RPM / +125 FT-LBS of Torque @ 3,900 RPM - 104 AKI / 108 RON

- Max increases are based on APR's actual measured stock values and not those reported by VW. | RON = ROW Fuel Grades | AKI = North American (RON+MON)/2 Fuel Grades.
- Reported wheel figures measured on APR's in house Dynapack Dynamometer with a US Spec 2014 MK7 GTI DSG, using SAEJ1349 correction and an average of multiple runs. Crank figures estimated based on the measured wheel figures. Results will vary depending upon environmental conditions, vehicle, transmission, vehicle health, operating conditions, temperatures, fuel grade, dyno type, dyno setup, and other modifications.

APR Acceleration Tests

Stock vs APR Stage 1, 93 octane

6.932 vs 5.656 - 0-60 MPH
7.242 vs 5.868 - 0-62 MPH
7.266 vs 5.883 - 0-100 KPH
14.983 vs 11.385 - 0-100 MPH
15.872 vs 10.094 - 60-120 MPH
18.968 vs 11.066 - 62-124 MPH
Speed Limited vs 11.124 - 100-200 KPH
Speed Limited vs 16.181 - 60-130 MPH
Speed Limited vs 13.343 - 30-130 MPH
14.283 vs 13.189 - Quarter Mile Time
97.10 vs 110.40 - Quarter Mile Trap Speed in MPH

- Data collected at the same location with a US Spec 2014 MK7 GTI DSG via a Racelogic P-Box with ESP/ASR disabled. May not be comparable to data collected in other locations.

The APR Development Difference

APR DirectPort Programming:
APR’s patented DirectPort Programming is now available for the Simos 12.x & 18.x ECU! Any APR Dealer in the world, connected to the Internet, has direct access to APR’s latest ECU upgrades for loading directly over the vehicle's OBD-II port. This completely eliminates the need to remove and open the ECU for currently available files and can be uninstalled at any time!

APR ECU Explorer:
APR’s proprietary ECU Explorer gives APR’s Calibration Engineers unparalleled access to the vehicle’s entire engine management system. Typical commercially available data logging tools, used by most tuners, only allow logging up to 12 engine-operating variables at extremely low data rates. These tools are also limited to a small, specific list of variables. APR’s ECU Explorer is capable of logging every variable found within the ECU. It’s capable of logging well over 100 variables at once with data rates as high as 100 samples per second. Synchronous data logging is available for fine-tuning.

APR ECU Composer:
APR’s proprietary ECU Composer is used for altering the engine management system. With full access to every table, map and variable within the ECU, APR’s Calibration Engineers are not limited to a handful of maps as is common for most tuning companies. ECU Composer takes calibration to a new level with APR's Quick Flashing. APR’s Calibration Engineers can reflash the ECU in seconds rather than waiting lengthy periods of time between each flash.

APR ECU Assembly:
APR’s Electrical Engineers have the ability to alter the code structure of the ECU. Through code levels changes, APR's Engineers are able to add features to the ECU. Other changes allow higher torque limits than those achievable through only modifying calibration data or using piggyback devices as is the case for many tuners. This allows APR's engineers to often not require transmission software to meet or exceed advertised gains. On the highly modified end, this allows APR to make turbo upgrades operate as if intended by the OEM.

Application Guide

Audi A3 - CNTC
Skoda Octavia / VRS - CHHB
Volkswagen MK7 Golf GTI - CHHA, CHHB & CNTA

Market

North America - Released
Rest of World - Released!

Price
$699

- Pricing applicable to the USA only. If outside of the USA, please contact an APR Dealer and Importer for pricing.
- The first three letters of the vehicle's engine code are written on white bar code sticker on the side of the engine.
- Please note, VAG issues many ECU part numbers and revisions throughout their vehicle lineup. As such, some ECU part numbers may be temporarily unavailable when new parts or revisions are released. If the vehicle’s ECU box code and revision is known, availability can be checked by calling APR, or visiting an APR dealer. Typical turnaround time for new ECU box code and revision is quick. Please contact APR for details.

How to purchase

Locate an APR Dealer:

Use the APR Dealer Locater Tool to find an APR Dealer. The APR Dealer will have the ability to upgrade the ECU in a short period of time!

Security, Warranty and Money Back Guarantee

All APR ECU Upgrades are fully encrypted to prevent theft of our valuable and proprietary coding information by lesser companies.

30 Day Money Back Guarantee:

All APR ECU Upgrades include a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked. If for any reason the owners is dissatisfied with the APR ECU Upgrade, they may return to the place of purchase for a full refund, provided they are within the 30 day period from the time of the initial purchase. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the guarantee and are at the discretion of the place of install.

Limited Lifetime Warranty:

All APR ECU Upgrades include a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software, and to provide free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty and are at the discretion of the place of install.

UPDATE

Version 1.2 is now available for both high and low output files!

Changes

• Improved spool / low end response.
  • Improved boost control. (More accurate.)
  • Improved power delivery towards redline. (Horsepower caries better than before, but doesn't alter peak figures.)
  • Fixed a few bugs / limiters and high end misfire. (Only applicable to some ECU box codes / revisions.)
  • Lower output software is now available, offering a flat peak torque / horsepower curve at the wheels.

Low output software offers 334-335 FT-LBS of torque and 293-300 HP, depending on octane.

Graphs are on the site, software is available at all APR dealers across the world, and the upgrade is free for existing software customers (labor charges may apply.)

See less See more
2 16
#246 · (Edited)
Results from south africa:

376 ft-lbs of torque and 337 HP on our 91 AKI octane file (95 RON in the rest of the world)

Results from Israel

Just shy of 300 WHP.

Results from Brasil (video):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=659846297427090&fref=nf

326 HP.

Goodspeed in Arizona did around 300 HP on 91 octane in 100F weather!

APR Europe in Germany

345 HP at on high octane fuel

#252 ·
Uhh, so what you're saying-but-not-saying is: our Golf R's will be hitting 60 in about 3.6 seconds? Sweet. Guess I get a year to learn "with great power comes great responsibility" before killing myself with, essentially, Class B-level speed. Yay.

#247 ·
Awesome stuff Arin, keep it coming! :thumbup::beer:

#248 ·
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7015097-APR-Stage-1-2nd-Gear-Jerk

Thanks for all the great stuff Arin! I do have a question about the DSG and reported rough shifts between 1st and 2nd gear (see above link). Is this something the team is looking into, and do you think that the DSG file will be necessary to fix this. Thanks! Looking forward to purchasing Stage 1 as soon as I get 1000 miles on my GTI!

#253 ·
I wouldn't worry. He's a bit picky. It's just the sudden amount of torque it gets with the quick DSG shift into second. You pretty much have to back your foot off the throttle manually as its shifting into second, to drop the torque down. I'm not certain, but maybe the turbo isn't losing boost between gears on the DSG and its getting full boost right away. I could be wrong..Either way, I drove a stage one GTI for a full day and its as smooth as stock if you ask me.

#263 ·
Got the tune yesterday, very happy so far. I did notice slightly decreased gas mileage on my way into work this morning (26-27mpg this morning vs 29-30 yesterday), but hard to say whether I got stopped by all the same lights yesterday vs today, etc. Takes a bit more concentration to keep it entirely civil and get that close to 30mpg for my commute...but where's the fun in that? :D

#264 ·
I really hate being "that guy" to make people skeptical on things that are going so well as this Stage 1 APR tune is on our MK7's...

But I got reflashed yesterday afternoon and the car seemed fine all afternoon, ripped on it 30-80 maybe a few times throughout the evening(obviously excited about the power increase)... Until last night I took a buddy for a ride, did a quick 2nd gear to 3rd gear rip then cruised normal to our destination to where I noticed the car idling funny. Almost like the car was cammed. So I shut it off, went inside and came out about 20 minutes later & the car didn't want to start... Just cranked until I tapped the gas pedal a little and it started and was idling terrible....

Drove back to said friend's house, car was making a weird whining noise almost sounded like from the turbo but not 100% sure, car still had power though. Upon arrival, car was idling bad again. Shut it off, let it sit some more and just sat in confusion as the car only has 650 miles on it, I'm thinking "What could possibly be wrong?!"....

Luckily because of owning a 10 second DSM, I am equipped(and familiar with break downs lol). So I got a ride home, and towed my MK7 home on my car trailer to where it now sits awaiting for APR to open and see what they think.

Very odd. The car also would barely start & stay running when I was trying to put it on the trailer.

Now to this morning, I went out because of my curiosity and my extreme displeasure in my brand new car having to get towed home(this shouldn't be happening!!) ... I put the key in the car and attempted to start it, it cranked like last night then after a second crank it started and was idling a little high, but I still don't trust it.

And now the wait...

#272 ·
Or one of the charge pipes could be coming loose.

#274 ·
Map for 104 RON

Does APR has anything programmed to release a ROW map with 104 RON Gas. I just had my car with Stage I done today at Nascarchips in Brazil, and looking into the process, it was a map for 93, 98 and 108 RON Gas, we have widely available at Gas Stations throughout the Country 104 Gas, whereas the 108 is difficult to come by.

#275 ·
Does APR has anything programmed to release a ROW map with 104 RON Gas. I just had my car with Stage I done today at Nascarchips in Brazil, and looking into the process, it was a map for 93, 98 and 108 RON Gas, we have widely available at Gas Stations throughout the Country 104 Gas, whereas the 108 is difficult to come by.
We do! We just need to import more fuel. The last batch we had when collecting final marketing figures was bad.

#283 · (Edited)
I can't understand who would want a FWD car with even that much. If i had a GTI, I wouldn't be sure about getting a tune. Maybe if I had PP with the diff and the upgraded brakes (since the base brakes arent good enough for stage 1 power, it's an old saying that better brakes come before power)

I'm just excited in this thread because of what it seems the R will become (a freakin supercar)

#284 ·
Arin,

Current and probably future APR Customer... Can you comment on the MK7 GTI manual clutch? Is it the same as the one on the Golf R, S3 or even A3? Are they interchangeable? It would be nice to know that is was at least rated to 300hp AWD. Or at least you could swap it with an OEM clutch down the road. Thanks!

#294 ·
  • Cylinder head (made from a different alloy compared to other engines in this module because of higher thermal stress)
  • Exhaust valves (hollow, higher Ni content, nitrided)
  • Exhaust valve seat rings (improved temperature stability and wear resistance)
  • Exhaust camshaft (adapted valve timings)
  • Compression ratio 9.3:1 with different pistons
  • Piston cooling jets (higher flow rate)
  • High pressure injectors (even higher flow rate)
  • Exhaust turbocharger
  • Charge pressures of up to 17.4 PSI (1.2 bar)
  • High performance main radiator with 1-2 auxiliary radiators (depending on country specifications)
  • Additional acoustic modifications have been made in order to achieve a sporty sound - use of a sound actuator (for the occupant cell) and active exhaust flaps in the exhaust system

#295 ·
Arin - That's great information.

I have a question for you, that I haven't seen answered yet (unless I missed it in another thread): Can you compare for us the IHI turbo series to the Borg Warner K03 and K04 turbos to give us an idea of how to compare the two series.

1. Is the IHI turbo in the Mk7 GTI is equal/smaller/larger than BW K03 or K04
2. Same question regarding the turbo in the S3/Golf R
3. What IHI / BW / GTX turbo may be considered in a stage3 kit

#296 ·
1. It's quite different. I'll have to measure the wheels but visually the compressor wheel is smaller than the K04. The turbine wheel has far fewer blades too.

2. The GTI and R are similar - Wheel sizes vary.

3. Borg Warner EFR or Garret GTX. We're trying both paths.

#300 · (Edited)
Here are a bunch of turbo sizes for comparison.

Keep in mind I hand measured some of these so they may be just slightly off.

MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T EA113
Borg Warner
6/6 Blade Cast Compressor Wheel & 11 Blade Turbine Wheel
41 mm Inducer / 54 mm Exducer - Compressor
40 mm Inducer / 45 mm Exducer - Turbine

MK6 Golf GTI 2.0T EA888 Gen 1
IHI
6/6 Blade Cast Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel
40.2 mm Inducer / 52.5 mm Exducer - Compressor
41.0 mm Inducer / 45.0 mm Exducer - Turbine

MK6 Jetta GLI 2.0T EA888 Gen 3
Honeywell
6/6 Blade Cast Compressor Wheel & 9 Blade Turbine Wheel
39.0 mm Inducer / 53.7 mm Exducer - Compressor
39.1 mm Inducer / 43.8 mm Exducer - Turbine

MK7 Golf GTI 2.0T EA888 Gen 3
IHI
6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel
42.5 mm Inducer / 54.0 mm Exducer - Compressor
46.8 mm Inducer / 50.4 mm Exducer - Turbine

- - -

MK6 Golf R (K04-64) 2.0T EA113
Borg Warner
6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 12 Blade Turbine Wheel
46.4 mm Inducer / 60.5 mm Exducer - Compressor
44.5 mm Inducer / 51.0 mm Exducer - Turbine

MK7 Golf R 2.0T EA888 Gen 3
IHI
6/6 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 8 Blade Turbine Wheel
45.2 mm Inducer / 58.0 mm Exducer - Compressor
47.4 mm Inducer / 54.7 mm Exducer - Turbine

- - -

Garret GTX2860, GTX2863 & GTX2867R
11 Blade Billet Compressor Wheel & 9 Blade Turbine Wheel
45.7 mm Inducer / 60.0 mm Exducer - GTX2860 Compressor
47.1 mm Inducer / 63.4 mm Exducer - GTX2863 Compressor
49.7 mm Inducer / 67.4 mm Exducer - GTX2867 Compressor
53.9 mm Exducer - Turbine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.