11th Hour Industries - '81 Rabbit Shop Truck Build - Page 7
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      I've always wondered if that turbo setup would work on a Gasser. Nice to see some updates!
      No Bueno really unless you modified it a ton and it's not worth it IMO... No wastegate, non intercooled and not many ways to re-do the intake.

Don't get me wrong I love this kit. Just not a gasser thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 01 View Post
      No Bueno really unless you modified it a ton and it's not worth it IMO... No wastegate, non intercooled and not many ways to re-do the intake.

Don't get me wrong I love this kit. Just not a gasser thing.
      The stage 1 callaway was non intercooler. Don't know much about the wastegate setup. My biggest concern is fueling.

The stage 1 callaway was non intercooler. Don't know much about the wastegate setup. My biggest concern is fueling.
      It wouldn't really be worth it to try and make the BAE kit work for a gasser. There's nothing that this kit does any better, and like 01 mentioned, it does quite a few things worse than much more common turbos. There's no wastegate on this turbo, which means that in order to limit boost the turbo is internally restricted so that it can't flow more than enough air to built 9-10psi.

The only thing I would want off a BAE kit for a gas motor would probably be the exhaust manifold. I'm pretty sure it shares the same flange as the TD04 turbo.

It's about damn time

Finally an update on the Rabbit.

Didn't work on her at all over the winter even though I installed a Modine in the shop to keep it warm, but hey I'm getting back on track now and that's what counts right?

There have been a few changes to the plan since the last posts, but most of them are pretty minor at this point. Mostly just changes to simplify/shorten the build time.

After what feels like an eternity of waiting and enough frustration to last a lifetime, I was finally able to get a windshield successfully installed. Two pieces of glass were broken by Safelite on the install, but eventually they were able to find a gasket that worked. Oddly enough, the MK1 Autohaus gasket that everyone rants and raves about was far too thick for the window and caused the glass to crack during the install both times. After switching to their own gasket the glass fit, albeit with a bit of persuasion.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few Other Things:
      • Engine timed and quintuple checked
      • Brakes bled
      • Ordered complete door seal kit from MK1 Autohaus (ouch $)
      • Flipped the axle back to stock configuration and removed the air suspension parts. Deciding to simply things in the interest of finishing it before I die of old age.
      • Found a piece of (used) solid rear glass online earlier this week and ordered it.
      • Reached out to MicroCaddy about getting a roll pan ordered (next week?)
      • Finished gluing the carpet down. Still not happy with the fitment, but it'll have to do for now.
      • Installed the shift linkage (still need to adjust it to spec)

Next Steps:
      • Fabricate 2.5" stainless v-banded down pipe, mid pipe and tail pipe. (materials are all on hand and ready to go)
      • Paint remaining few body panels. (doors, hood, front fenders)
      • Wiring
      • E-brake tube repair

Just an FYI you probably had the wrong year glass. Needs to be from an 85-89 Cabriolet to be rope in from satellite. Basically everything else is glue-in dimensions. Been there done that

Just an FYI you probably had the wrong year glass. Needs to be from an 85-89 Cabriolet to be rope in from satellite. Basically everything else is glue-in dimensions. Been there done that
      Wow, you think by now they would have figured that out and corrected the issue. Too bad I'm just finding out now!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567