VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Thanks to this forum, I can begin my 2016 TR build thread!

161K views 792 replies 106 participants last post by  TIGSEL 
#1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago coming back from a five month deployment, I had no idea how hard it was to get an R at a decent price here in SoCal+$5k mark up's:mad:. Posted a distress thread here, expressing how badly I needed to get the R within a short timeframe. With all the prompt responses from members on this forum, ultimately guided me to my 16' TR DSG/DCC/NAV/over in Nevada! It was a surreal drive home, after waiting and debating over four years (Mk6 R missed the mark, performance/engine wise) I'm now finally a proud owner of a proper Golf R. Words can't express how thankful I am to the members here, thanks for helping a fellow out locating an R with a reasonable price!!

Huge thanks to Vegasgolds on here for making this possible!

Tornado Red was 2nd on my list, Oryx White was the color of choice imo, saw both colors in person (Eurospec .:R's)during the press release here in San Diego. Unfortunately the insane mark up's at dealers for R's, led me to the decision to place color choice at the bottom of the list, and placed DSG/DCC trim at the top. Originally coming from a Mk6 Golf TDI, fell in love with the brand immediately, during my time with the TDI the Mk6 R was 2 years shy from NAR debut so had my eyes set out for that. To my disappointment the US spec was detuned, no LED tails, one choice of gear box and no DCC offered to our market, so I passed on the Mk6 R because of those issues for me. Soon after the 2012 R's released I deployed to Afghanistan and well had no real reason to hang onto the Mk6 TDI so decided to sell to be debt free and lose on depreciation too much versus hanging onto it and making car payments while being away. Shortly after returning I was dead set on owning a manual car, and soon become the only manual car I've owned in my life and a non-hatchback form factor, was a 2010 Audi S5 CPO in Brilliant Red w/ Sports Diff, amazing GT cruiser machine and a blast to drive- and great on long road trips, or during spirited drives around town permitting San Diego traffic of course:facepalm: Rowing through traffic for 45min-1hr each way to work and paying $120 every four days for gas, couldn't deal anymore. Traded in the Audi for a hybrid, :sly: yeah not the proudest moment and sad to let it go but, I guess it was a practical decision given the commuting situation and driving to and from Texas on military orders the last few years made sense, at the time. The Mk7 R was couple years shy from debut, and the possibility of it being offered to us here was somewhat promising. Hybrid ownership was nothing short of terrible, except one thing, savings from gas/insurance which allowed me to set aside cash for one day owning the next gen Golf R.

Fast forward to late September 15' at that time, within a 150 mile radius dealers had mostly base DSG R's & 6spd DCC/non-DCC available but, priced well beyond sticker tag. DCC/DSG trims were not available in SoCal as they were all claimed for by customers already. I received tons of support from Vortex members, after generating a thread about my situation. Within just a couple days of the thread being posted regarding my troubles tracking down a unclaimed Golf R in SoCal, I was eventually guided to a Tornado Red DSG/DCC available in Las Vegas (VW Findlay)! Wasn't my first color choice, but TR was damn near my second fav paint on this generation, reminded me of the Audi S5 I had in Brilliant Red, plus Tornado Red being the rarer bird was a BIG perk. Without hesitation drove +300 miles on that very evening, and purchased the R at MSRP, traded in the hybrid at a CarMax next door and handed them the check from that then took delivery and left the dealership a little past midnight. :roll eyes: needless to say, the test drive/road trip combination home was an epic feeling, FINALLY owning an R after so many years envying the chance to get one. Impressions of this car were immediate and to me it's a much quicker(maybe not faster on the top end), more nimble through corners, and eager to go faster than the Audi S5 in almost any situation it was in. The countless positive reviews of the Mk7 R from members & media, proves VW finally delivered a premium quality hot hatch. Glad to be back in a Golf, it was worth the wait and couldn't be more proud of owning this machine:thumbup: Such a value for a car in this much refinement/performance/classy looks/comfortable, and basically is a Audi S3 ,but better in terms of it being a hatch and more toss able and fun to drive makes this a very special car for the price!

*This being my 1st build on a car, I wanted to focus my mods mainly to the exterior of the car and leave the drivetrain/ecu/engine unmolested for now. Tornado Red/Black Gloss theme throughout, my intentions are to keep the mods subtle/functional while keeping it tasteful/clean, retaining the OEM-like appearance, with a modest aggressive appearance to compliment the Mk7 lines:

Mods installed:

Engine/Drivetrain:
-Stock ECU/TCU tune.
-Revo Carbon Fiber Air-duct Front Panel.
-Unitronic Carbon Fiber Closed Air Intake.
-Neuspeed HI-FLO Turbo Discharge Conversion.
-Milltek Sport VW MK7 Golf R - Valved Cat-Back Exhaust + Non-Resonated (swapped out resonated pipe) + Cerakote Black Velvet Oval Tips (exhaust valves activated).

Suspension:
-KW DDC Coilovers P/N: 39080029
-Emmanuele Designs Adjustable Rear-End Links.
-Emmanuele Designs Rear-Sway Bar.

Wheel/Brakes:
-OZ Racing (black) Ultraleggera HLT 19 x 8 ET45.
-ECS Wheel Spacer/Bolt Kit - 5mm Black Conical Seat Bolts (Front Wheels).
-ECS Wheel Spacer/Bolt Kit - 10mm Black Conical Seat Bolts (Rear Wheels).
-M14 x 1.5 to M12 x 1.5 Stud Conversion Kit - 78mm(front) / 78mm(rear).
-FourtyFour GR5 Ti Forged (12x1.5mm) Conical Seat Lug Nut w/ ball seat adapters.
-Audi OEM BBK RS5 8 Piston Calipers.
-ECS Front/Rear Exact - Fit Stainless Steel Brake Lines.
-ECS RS5 front rotors 365mm x 34mm.
-ECS Mk7 R rear rotors 310mm x 22mm.
-VW .:R Logo - HI Temp Cast Vinyl (on calipers).

Exterior:
-Feynlab Self-Heal Plus Ceramic Coating *First MQB with this coating*:
-Oettinger Front Spoiler - Tornado Red paint matched.
-Oettinger Center Splitter - Black Gloss paint.
-Oettinger Roof Spoiler(painted in Gloss Black).
-Oettinger Front Grille(painted in Gloss Black).
-Oettinger Side Skirts - Tornado Red paint matched + Flow Design V2 side skirts *stacked*
-Flow Designs 2-pc rear valence –Black Gloss paint.
-Euro VW OEM LED Dark Cherry tail lamps(enabled amber turn signals).
-OEM Power folding mirrors (VCDS enabled LED puddle lamps + functioning folding mirror's)
-AutoTecknic carbon fiber mirror caps.
-Euro VW OEM headlights.
-Osram 66340CBI Xenarc CBI D3S HID bulbs.
-Hella Supertone Horns.
-KC Dual Flex LED Spread Driving Beams, w/ Custom Mounting Brackets on front crash beam.
-Seibon TM-style carbon fiber hood (Tornado Red paint match, Xpel Ultimate film protection).
-Quik-Latch QL-38, Black Cerakote.

Interior:
-BAK Performance, Carbon fiber molded OEM steering wheel, and Carbon center ring.
-Tanabe Revel VLS 52mm OLED Boost Gauge 30 inHg to 45 PSI (52mm).
-APR gauge Pod and boost tap.

*VCDS mods:
Amber signals for Euro tails, Comfort Windows, Passenger Mirror Dip, Soundaktor deactivated, Change comfort blinking- 5 Blinks, Changed brightness of reverse lights- Highest value, Exhaust flaps back ON, Folding Mirror operation w/ LED puddle lamp function enabled, reduced running brake brightness, and Off-Road Display.

Part's on order:

Part's received, pending install:
-RS7 OEM Spark Plugs.
-DEI titanium 50ft exhaust wrap.

Planned mods:
-REVO Race Catted Downpipe.
-REVO Stage 2 ECU/TCU.
-REVO Intercooler.
-REVO Carbon CAI w/ Turbo Inlet Pipe Kit.

Parting out part's, PM if interested(local pick up preferred):
-Emmanuele Design Volkswagen MK7 Lowering Spring Kit. SOLD!!
-CTS Turbo Mk7 Intake System(total of two weeks of use). SOLD!!
-OEM NAR headlight housing, Xpel Finest film and Cquartz Finest applied. SOLD!!
-OEM NAR halogen taillights(used for two months).

Before September 2015:

After, April 2017:

https://youtu.be/bewEuz86iVI

See less See more
#722 ·
Thanks man!!

The Carbon Guards is a FB page(not sure if he exists still), and for set roughly $70. Only problem is the dude is flakey and won't respond to your emails/PM's after you've made the purchase, took me several emails asking for updates and receiving these roughly three months later.

#735 ·
Murrieta VW, great people. I bought my Touareg from them back in 2012. Don't know if they still practice that but back then they would give you free lifetime tires if you did all recommended factory maintenance at their location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.