VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What Would You Do? New Q3 Purchase Pending...

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jabbarjd 
#1 ·
Well I have been in that zone, in between 3-4 years of my current car, where I start to consider a new purchase. I had to do lots of searching, because the exact car I want isn't available in the U.S., so I've mostly been deciding which direction to go...and after some test drives, checking when new models are arriving, etc, I came down to really really liking the 2016 Q3. It's smaller than I've usually bought, and lower power than I'm used to - but it just endeared itself to me when I drove it, read about it, checked it out...I was comparing to a Q5 as well, and despite more power, I fell for the Q3. The Q5 just had a hint of dated-ness - knowing it's likely going to be overhauled next year...and some of the features on the Q3 felt fresher (Connect more updated, full LED headlights), plus the refreshed '16 design.

But I have often had to decide between getting JUST what I want which often requires the compromise of waiting for an ordered car to be built and delivered - which can stretch to 4+ months...or compromising on equipment or color to take something in stock. I've compromised on the colors too often in the past, so I'm feeling like I really want to get the color I want this time. I had one built car in mocha brown that I loved because it was different...other than that, I've had two silver, two black, and a white car over the past 15 years, and I'm really just getting tired of those same colors. But as usual, the color combo and equipment level I want isn't in stock anywhere in the US, nor coming on any ships so far - so it would have to be a full build.

What I want is a 2016 Q3 Prestige Quattro w/tiptronic with Sport Package, in Hainan Blue with Chestnut Brown interior.

My choices going forward are:
1. Full compromise - pick a different color interior and/or exterior, get a Quattro Prestige w/Sport that's in stock. Basically, that means back to the same black/silver/grey/white colors that most of my cars have been in the past. Might get a better deal because the dealership would be more willing to work on an in-stock car. I'm worried every time I saw a Hainan Blue on the road, I'd start wanting to kick myself.

2. Partial compromise - there are several cars currently in transit or about to load on ships for several US ports that are ALMOST what I'm looking for - Hainan Blue, Quattro, Prestige, Sport...but they all have full black interiors. I'd get almost everything I want, except the interior - and could likely get my hands on the vehicle by November after the port swap. Not likely as much of a discount in negotiating. I really love the rich warm chestnut brown interior look - I've had black interiors many many times including my current car, and though they're fine and hold up well, I would love something more rich and different.

3. Less compromise, longest wait - I place an order for the exact car I want. If I'm lucky and everything's on time, the order gets built before the holiday break, gets on a ship by end of Dec/early Jan, and I have the car sometime in mid-to-late January. But, if the orders are backed up, miss the holiday cut-off, etc, I could end up not getting the car until as late as March.

So, what would you do in my shoes? For some additional info, I CAN wait - my current car is in great shape, runs great, looks great, it's 3 1/2 years old, not leased so no turn in deadline, owe approx. $7K and trade-in value should be in the $22-24K range so I have plenty of equity. It's more just a matter of whether I want to wait. Variables might be that my car's value can go down a bit by waiting, I may have less negotiating room with the dealer, and various finance rate specials or incentives can come or go. I'll be financing again - trade + maybe some cash down to get the payment where I like it.

I'm going to the dealer Saturday or Sunday to work out one of the three options above - and wondering what others might do in the same situation.

See less See more
#3 ·
have you considered getting the blue exterior you wanted and having aftermarket leather installed. I had it done about 20 years ago to a car and inquired again about 10 years ago and the price hadn't gone up too much (could be had for under $1500 (for all seats and also door inserts where applicable). If it is doable, the good points are you get many more leather colors and even color combinations (two-toned options) to choose from AND it is a better quality (thicker) leather. Just a thought.

#4 ·
Well as usual, I compromised on color. Actually, went with a completely different car. I was all ready to order the Q3 - I had decided it was worth waiting for the color combo I wanted. When I got there, the dealer was very much hoping they could talk me into something in stock...but they didn't have any Q3s even close (no Prestige) - we looked at Q5s, but again nothing was really a match. I hinted that I was always a wagon guy - I've had two wagons in a row before I got my VW CC, and would have loved to get into another wagon except none were available with good power, AWD, and a mid $40K price range...I had shopped them extensively, and Volvo's V60R, BMW's 3-series wagon, and Audi's Allroad all ended up well over $50K when I built them up. As it happened, they had a 2015 Allroad they could really work on - price was over $52K, but it had all the toys, AWD, good power, etc. I would have to go back to black on black (I've had two black cars in the past, and love the color - but wanted to try something other than the 4 usual colors). Once we started dealing on the price, I realized they had a lot of room on '15 models, and after some back and forth, we ended up closing a great deal for my CC on trade, and pricing their car down in my price range...I even got the same monthly payment I had before. So I couldn't help it and bought the Allroad! Back to wagon life again for me - don't get that color I loved, but really an SUV was a compromise to begin with because I couldn't get a wagon. So it all works out in the end.

Thanks for the help and ideas...I joined the Audi family, but just with a different model.

#5 ·
I had a similar experience, but I actually went in looking for a 2015 Audi Allroad Premium Plus and came out with a 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige in Utopia Blue with Rock Gray inside. Very pleased with how both cars drive, and I do miss that extra cargo space in the back. The color combination did it for me in the end though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.