VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

B9 Audi RS4 Avant spied testing

15K views 79 replies 43 participants last post by  HBird 
#1 ·

via Carscoops
You’ve probably already figured out that the S4 badges and chrome slot grille on the pictured prototype don’t mean anything in the presence of those beefed up wheel arches. So, yes, this is a test mule for Audi’s next generation super estate, the RS4 Avant.

While the extended fenders make room for bigger wheels than those usually seen on the new S4, the lack of bigger brakes and drilled rotors likely point to an early development car, likely to evaluate the chassis.

Audi hasn’t confirmed details on the next RS4’s engine, but in keeping with the times, the Germans are expected to drop the naturally aspirated V8 found in the last two generations of the series (B7 and B8), returning to a twin-turbocharged V6 solution, similar to the first RS4 from the beginning of the decade.

However, some sources suggest that Audi may also incorporate an electric turbocharger to further improve performance, but either way, the boosted V6 will surely produce more power than the 4.2-liter V8 that’s rated at 450PS (444bhp), all while returning better fuel economy and lower emissions.

Elsewhere, it will get Audi’s quattro all-wheel drive system paired to a dual-clutch transmission and a modified chassis, together with aerodynamic improvements and bespoke styling cues inside and out.

This time, we’re also going to see a sedan version of the RS4. As for the big question for anyone living in North America, Quattro GmbH’s boss Heinz Hollerweger recently said that the company is currently thinking about it, so that’s a maybe - for now…

See less See more
#15 ·

via Autocar
The new-generation Audi RS4 has been spied testing in Avant form at the NĂĽrburgring, prior to going on sale later this year.

The S4 was revealed at the Geneva motor show in March, so we expect this generation of RS4 to follow shortly, in both Avant and saloon variants.

Although a previously spied prototype is badged as an S4, the extended wheelarches gave it away as an RS. This version is clearly identifiable as the RS4, however, because of its large twin exhausts and aggressive front-end styling.

Powering the new model will be a tweaked version of the 349bhp turbocharged V6 that features in the S4. An output of around 500bhp is expected, meaning the new RS4 will be competitive against its main rivals, the 503bhp Mercedes-AMG C63 S and the 425bhp BMW M3. By comparison, the current RS4 features a naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8 engine with 444bhp.

Autocar revealed earlier this summer that the next-generation RS4 would not only return in Avant form but would also include a saloon variant. The decision to bring back the RS4 saloon - absent in the current generation - has been driven by markets such as China and the US, where there is more demand for the four-door model. The Avant will continue to be sold, and it is likely that both will be offered in the UK when the car goes on sale here.

A 2016 launch means that the RS4 will join the range much sooner than previous generations of the performance-focused A4. The fourth-generation A4 didn’t get an RS4 version until 2012, despite the standard car going on sale in 2008.

However, Horst Glaser, Audi’s head of chassis development, revealed that demand has brought the new RS4 forwards. “Our customers want the RS version earlier in the product lifecycle while the car is still new,” he said.

#27 ·
LT1M21Vette: I'm with you...I'd seriously find a way to buy one if they brought the S4 Avant here.

#36 ·
The C63 is fun. It's gone the second orders open up for RS4/RS4 Avant.

#37 ·
I forget if it was posted here or on Audizine, but I believe by 2019 or 2020, Audi is suppose to be bringing between 7-9 RS models to North America (including the US).

The US definitely won't get an Avant, but an RS4 sedan 2019+ would be a possibility, but for the US market they may just skip the RS4 and bring the RS5/RS6 since they are bringing over an RS3. R8 is suppose to be going V6 twin-turbo also.

Back on topic, the Avants never did anything for me, but then again i'm not a wagon guy so what would I know.

#40 ·
RS3 and RS4 sedans seem like a no brainer decision for AoA. The only question that remains for us is will we see RS5 coupe AND RS5 Sportback. Since we will not get RS4 Avant, I'm prepare to settle for RS5 sportback.

RS6 was here but it sold poorly so now we only have RS7. I don't think that will change.

Given that GLC63 and X4M are both likely to happen, I see RSQ5 being a done deal too (GLC43 and X4 M40i compete with SQ5). RSQ3 is questionable for US market. Don't forget TTRS. So that's your 7 or 8 RS models:

1. RS3 sedan
2. RS4 sedan
3. RS5 coupe
4. RS5 sportback
5. RS7 sportback
6. TT RS coupe
7. RS Q5
8. RS Q3 (maybe)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.