Drivers Seat Angle - advice please!!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Drivers Seat Angle - advice please!!

I just replaced my 2010 GTi with a 2016 Golf GTi S
      It's better in pretty much every way except for one - the seat doesn't have a seat angle adjuster which my 2010 GTi had and it's killing me!
      I just can't get comfortable in the seat. I like to have the seat angled where the front of the seat is a little higher than the back but since I can't adjust the seat in the 2016 GTI I feel no front leg support.
      I'm seriously thinking I may have to return the car and take a massive loss on it so any ideas or suggestions for how I can fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rickieb View Post
      I just replaced my 2010 GTi with a 2016 Golf GTi S
      It's better in pretty much every way except for one - the seat doesn't have a seat angle adjuster which my 2010 GTi had and it's killing me!
      I just can't get comfortable in the seat. I like to have the seat angled where the front of the seat is a little higher than the back but since I can't adjust the seat in the 2016 GTI I feel no front leg support.
      I'm seriously thinking I may have to return the car and take a massive loss on it so any ideas or suggestions for how I can fix it would be greatly appreciated.
      I think the euro ergo seats are manual but more adjustible. Obviously importing one wouldn't be cheap, but it might be better than losing $4k on the car. And I've heard they're great seats.

I had a mk6 but with plaid I don't ever recall any seat angle adjustment. Is this something only on leather seats?

My 2015 GTI S (2-door) has a lever at the outside of the seat,
      horizontal. Pump it down for adjustment of the seat cushion
      (otherwise known as the squab, the part you sit on) in one
      direction, lift it (repeatedly) for adjustment in the other
      direction.

Does yours have the lever?

A simple and cheaper solution than returning the car would be having custom foam made or inserting a piece under the front edge of the seat.

The leathers have 10-way adjustable settings. I initially put down on an Autobahn with Cloth (canadian) until I test drove one, with leather, and was sold on the adjust-ability of the drivers seat. Didn't care about the passenger seat lol, Never had this feature before in a GTI, so thanks VW.

The MK6's headrests were better sorted out, though..

OP, in all seriousness, you could always use spacers under your seat rail with some longer bolts, and you'll be fine. You can actually buy seat spacers to do this, for racing seats. But some generic high grade steel washers should do the same trick as a powered motor raising the front of the seat rail, just won't be adjustable on-the-fly lol
      '15 M235i Performance Edition w/LSD 6MT - His
      '15 GTI Autobahn 5dr - DSG Stage 2 - Hers

iracing.com - The best simulation racing software, period.

Quote Originally Posted by bbjwvr6 View Post
      Whoa, the mk7 golf has length adjustable cushions? Did this feature not make its way to US Golfs? I don't remember it in my GTI Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by mkygod View Post
      Whoa, the mk7 golf has length adjustable cushions? Did this feature not make its way to US Golfs? I don't remember it in my GTI Autobahn.
      I wish.. The leg extension feature is all we're missing in NA at this point, from what I see in that vid..

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I had a mk6 but with plaid I don't ever recall any seat angle adjustment. Is this something only on leather seats?
      I apologize.....you're right!! I thought I had it but checking again, I didn't!
      That said, I definitely feel that the angle of the Mark 6 GTI seat had my bottom more planted and the top of my thighs more supported.
      Has anyone else had the same observation?
      Last edited by rickieb; 12-10-2015 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pw2buz View Post
      My 2015 GTI S (2-door) has a lever at the outside of the seat,
      horizontal. Pump it down for adjustment of the seat cushion
      (otherwise known as the squab, the part you sit on) in one
      direction, lift it (repeatedly) for adjustment in the other
      direction.

Does yours have the lever?
      Yes but this only moves the seat height and not the angle

Quote Originally Posted by rickieb View Post
      I apologize.....you're right!! I thought I had it but checking again, I didn't!
      That said, I definitely feel that the angle of the Mark 6 GTI seat had my bottom more planted and the top of my thighs more supported.
      Has anyone else had the same observation?
      Nope, it seems to fit me just fine. I'm just 5 foot 5 though and i do have the Autobahn which has angle adjustment so I guess i can't really compare with your GTI S if it doesn't have this adjustment.

I like my seat the exact way you are describing. Use to get in a full auto seat and put the front all the way up and the back all the way down. The lack of adjustment on the MK7 is disturbing, but mine's a manual, so my legs aren't generally at rest unless I'm on a long drive, which is when I notice it most.

There's another guy on the forum who added some 1" spacers to the front of his seat to raise the front up, though I'm not sure the safety implications or undue wear on the track as a result of the adjustment. I'll see if I can track him down and maybe we can get some pics or instructions from him. I would love to adjust mine a bit.

EDIT: Here's the post where he talks about it. I messaged him about it and will PM you if/when he replies.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post88222946
      Last edited by crm-vr6; 12-10-2015 at 11:29 AM.
      -------------------------
      2016 VW GTI SE 2.0t 6MT, PP DAP LP (Deep Black) (Mine!)
      2015 Jetta Sport 1.8t (White) [Wife's]
      2010 Audi A6 3.2 (Deep Black Pearl) [GONE]

EDIT: ^that's me, or at least, I added my version of the lift to that thread.

I've had the same issue in my last few cars, legs aren't supported enough.

Anyway, here's what I did...
      Went to hardware store (Ace Hardware for me, but I know Lowe's carries Hillman products, and these should not be hard to find) and got the following:
      2x Hillman Heavy Steel bushings 3/8" inside diameter x 3/4" outside diameter x 3/4" length (I originally got 1" long bushings, but found that they were too tall for my liking).
      2x Hillman M10-1.5x50mm socket cap screws (I'd recommend 60mm bolts if you go with a 1" lift). I believe the ones I got took an 8mm hex driver.
      The OEM bolts that secure the tracks of the seats to the body of the car are triple-square socket caps and 30mm long. I believe M10, but could be M12. You can pick up a set of 4 metric triple square drivers lots of places, including Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Too...ple+square+bit

Remove the front bolts, and loosen the back (will have to slide the seat back and forth to get good access).
      Insert steel bushings between track and floor and thread new bolts in.
      That's it, easy! Now this will not give you an adjustable lift in the front, but if you're the primary driver, then it's all about your comfort anyway. Any other driver's can just deal with it.
      LMK if you have any questions.
      Last edited by VWFast96; 12-10-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Awesome, thank you so much! I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend! Hopefully this will help the OP too!

NP, let me know how it goes. I remember that the inner (closer to the center console) bolt gave me a harder time getting it lined up right.

Interesting...

I also felt it didn't have enough rear tilt but just learned to deal with it. I still slide a bit forward at times under heaving braking and this bothers me but not enough to return the car. I'd think if you increase the tilt then it could bother the back of your knee/hammy area when pressing the clutch all the way down. Get some pics of the modification if you can and let us know if it helped your situation. I think exchanging the car would be the last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by yomny View Post
      Interesting...

I also felt it didn't have enough rear tilt but just learned to deal with it. I still slide a bit forward at times under heaving braking and this bothers me but not enough to return the car. I'd think if you increase the tilt then it could bother the back of your knee/hammy area when pressing the clutch all the way down. Get some pics of the modification if you can and let us know if it helped your situation. I think exchanging the car would be the last resort.
      Everyone is different, if you do increase the tilt too much, you will have a harder time on the clutch. Especially as the clutch needs to be pressed farther to get the interlock activated to start the car. This is why I went from a 1" lift down to 3/4", that 1/4" made all the difference. Some may only need 1/2" lift, or 1/4". It's worthwhile to keep your knees/back of legs supported, when otherwise they are unsupported and will make your legs and back sore after driving.
      If you have the tools already, this is a $5 mod. If you don't have all the tools (M10 triple-square and H8), it's still only a $30 mod, tops.

Here's photos of my mod: These were taken after I did the 1" lift. You can see the whole track raised, but it is more than solid and sturdy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by VWFast96 View Post
      EDIT: ^that's me, or at least, I added my version of the lift to that thread.

I've had the same issue in my last few cars, legs aren't supported enough.

Anyway, here's what I did...
      Went to hardware store (Ace Hardware for me, but I know Lowe's carries Hillman products, and these should not be hard to find) and got the following:
      <snip>

^^^
      This.

@OP: People do this kind of thing all the time. My only change to VWFast96's instructions above would be to use a stack of washers instead of a single spacer so that you can fine tune the angle, since it's clearly important to you to get it right.

However much you end up lifting the front, make sure you get thread engagement of the replacement bolt at least equal to the bolt diameter. If it's an M10x1.5 bolt (10mm diameter, 1.5mm thread pitch) that comes out to 6-1/2 turns minimum. Be careful not to cross-thread the bolt, which may initially want to go in at a slight angle.

Neil

This is awesome!! Thank you very much. I am pleased some others have had this concern and that it has helped them too!!
      Looks like I have some work to do this weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      ^^^
      This.

@OP: People do this kind of thing all the time. My only change to VWFast96's instructions above would be to use a stack of washers instead of a single spacer so that you can fine tune the angle, since it's clearly important to you to get it right.

However much you end up lifting the front, make sure you get thread engagement of the replacement bolt at least equal to the bolt diameter. If it's an M10x1.5 bolt (10mm diameter, 1.5mm thread pitch) that comes out to 6-1/2 turns minimum. Be careful not to cross-thread the bolt, which may initially want to go in at a slight angle.

Neil
      I would advise against a stack of washers simply because the more parts there are, the greater chance for things to slip around during hard cornering and/or braking. I feel like bolts could loosen easier that way.

As far as the bolt length and thread engagement, the original bolts are 30mm and probably have 20mm of engagement, give or take. However much you make the rise, get a bolt at least that much LONGER than 30mm. For example, 1" = ~25.4mm, therefore, use minimum 55mm bolt. 3/4" = ~19mm, so I used a 50mm bolt. Those socket cap screws are grade 12.9, so they'll take tons of force to shear off.

I actually have plans to start with the washers, just so I can get the height right, then transition over to some drilled and lathed aluminum bar stock that I'm going to make. I have plans to add a slight convex to the piece near the floor to make sure it stands in place better. Once everything else is in place, I may make another revision that accounts for the "tongue" piece of the end of the rail that hooks into the floor to reinforce it a bit more, but that'll only happen once I've done some driving on it and see if there is any tension against the bolt. I'll post my results when I get there.

Thanks for the documentation!

Quote Originally Posted by VWFast96 View Post
      Everyone is different, if you do increase the tilt too much, you will have a harder time on the clutch. Especially as the clutch needs to be pressed farther to get the interlock activated to start the car. This is why I went from a 1" lift down to 3/4", that 1/4" made all the difference. Some may only need 1/2" lift, or 1/4". It's worthwhile to keep your knees/back of legs supported, when otherwise they are unsupported and will make your legs and back sore after driving.
      If you have the tools already, this is a $5 mod. If you don't have all the tools (M10 triple-square and H8), it's still only a $30 mod, tops.
      Awesome, thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

I'm curious if this manual adjustment of raising the front has any effect on seat's airbag sensors/deployment. Unless somehow proven to be 100% safe, I'd personally stay away from these sort of adjustments.

^^ Great job on the pics, this was exactly as I was describing, for would remedy to the OP's issue, I think it will be fine. Nothing will wear or become "unsafe" provided you re fasten everything to factory spec. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast