Drivers Seat Angle - advice please!! - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      My back used to hurt after as little as 15 minutes of driving. I added 1" spacers and longer bolts under the front of the seat and now 700 mile days are fine.

No Need to loosen or remove the rear bolts. After removing the front bolts just push back on the headrest and insert your spacers. Then enjoy your new ride!

Mike
      Silver 2015 GTI SE 4dr 6spd

I have an autobahn with leather 10 way adjustable seats and have not been able to get them to a comfortable position. I am literally adjusting the seat on a daily basis. Is this something people are doing on there adjustable seats too? I am 6'3 and definitely feels like my legs need more support. My Mk IV was perfect.

Should be no need on AB seats but yes you could do this if you can't raise the front edge enough.
      --
      2017 GTI Sport| 4DR RS DSG LP PP | Invisible Shield hood, headlights, rear bumper guard and door cups | OEM splash guards | Weather Tech digital fit mats | Weather Tech deflectors |3M door edge, wheels well and hatch lip guards | OEM door sill protection | Coverking Triguard cover | 034 Motorsport dog bone insert, revised V2 |

I may have to try this then on my AB. I think one of the issues with the seat is that the seat back is bowed out towards the bottom, instead of being flat. I have lumbar at zero, so that isn't the problem. For some reason, the seat is bumped out in the lower back area. That pushes me further forward in the seat, and causes my legs to hang off more. May just try the lifting of the front some more(more than the electric adjust allows) and see if that helps...

tommyalanson: Thanks! I stumbled upon this thread about a month ago and realized I'd almost certainly have to make this same seat modification shortly after buying my GTI. I bought everything I needed yesterday and will probably do the work today. In any case, you advice and the pictures you took are spot on. It took my a while to hunt up this thread again, but I was determined to find it so I could thank you for taking the time to add the details, pics and specifications essential to do the work.

For reference, our seats do in fact NOT have airbags in them. I checked a month ago......there are side curtains (which are amazing btw), and of course the usual suspects up front.

That said, I bought another mk7 immediately 3 days later, but I ended up not driving the full distance to get the Autobahn again I was first going to get because I found a beautiful white one (my favorite color on them followed by silver) and got it for cost (ridiculous deal with about a single payments worth of negative equity pretty much).......this one is regular 6spd instead of DSG like my old Autobahn, and it's an SE so no amazing headlights which I thought I'd just retrofit until I found out the hilarious price tag on the parts and associated work to fit them proper.

However one of the things I ABSOLUTELY miss the most, are the seats. Besides the leather feeling different (these feel harder, but not enormously so), the angle adjustment ESPECIALLY the front angle leaves a good bit to be desired.

Glad I found this thread, because I have been thinking about some expensive ways to fix this issue. I also miss the full lumbar support, but no biggie I suppose.

Still working on getting a comfortable seating position, and pedal setup so I can heel+toe confidently. I can't take the car to an AutoX or track until I do, and I so very much want to because it drives so very very well. (love the DSG more than the 6spd, however I love the lighter front end on the 6spd!!!)

P.S.
      The car only rolled over to that point, and stopped with some help from a small tree, no one was harmed, and the car (while totalled because of the tree hitting the roof) is in remarkable condition for rolling over. If not for the tree hitting the roof, they'd have fixed it for sure. The ONLY glass broken during the incident was the passenger rear quarter window. Not even that passenger rear full window broke, nor the sunroof which was angled open...not even a scratch. We splintered the windshield stepping on it to climb out. The mirrors are perfectly in tact, good still works and lines up, doors work except the passenger rear where the tree hit the roof and that corner. 35mph was the speed, it was turned over only because of the angle of the deep ditch. Weirdly, it was fairly gentle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Kiyokix; 05-13-2017 at 09:07 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

There certainly are airbags in the seats. The tags aren't there for show. The SEs can have the bi-xenon lights.
      --
      2017 GTI Sport| 4DR RS DSG LP PP | Invisible Shield hood, headlights, rear bumper guard and door cups | OEM splash guards | Weather Tech digital fit mats | Weather Tech deflectors |3M door edge, wheels well and hatch lip guards | OEM door sill protection | Coverking Triguard cover | 034 Motorsport dog bone insert, revised V2 |

Quote Originally Posted by dequardo View Post
      There certainly are airbags in the seats. The tags aren't there for show. The SEs can have the bi-xenon lights.
      That's weird, you would think that when you roll your car the airbags would come out. I don't recall seeing anything come out of the seats when I did. The front bags were there, and the side curtains came down for sure, but my seats were totally in tact.

I always thought they had bags in the seats too which is why I never changed my seats to anything different, didn't wanna cause a problem, but now that I've 'tested' the crash systems out, I'm not so sure if they do and what would trigger them.

This was an Autobahn. As for the headlights, I understand that the SE could be had with the lighting, but the car I bought didn't have them.

If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

Also watching the crash test video, I don't see the bag deploy unless I'm missing it. I did some Google work and I can find pics of some of the older cars or different models showing bags in the seats, but not any from a US mk7 that I've found yet including mine. I'm very curious now, I remember being told about them before, and that was enough like I said to keep me from changing anything that had to do with the seats. (great way to get your insurance company to not pay anything because you screwed up by changing seats aka safety systems) I CAN SAY however, that the car is INCREDIBLY safe in a crash. It might sound weird but it was honestly pretty gentle when it happened. Nothing like what I thought that kinda thing might be like, nothing at all. The only damage I got was scratching my knuckle on a tree getting out of the car, and rubbing/scratching my arm repeatedly on the roof area trying to climb back in and out of the car to get things immediately afterwards.

https://youtu.be/2apWN173D4A

Last edited by Kiyokix; 05-14-2017 at 12:28 AM.

On topic, I readjusted my seat again today starting from scratch (randomly set the height and position, then setting things up 1st seat height is all the way down, 2nd forwards/backwards position using the clutch and brake pedal for distance, 3rd adjusting the wheel height and pulling it all the way towards me to help with hitting my knee, 4th adjusting the seat-back to get a good bend in my arms and wrists over the top of the wheel comfortably).

I haven't adjusted the tilt yet, but I am very happy right now with where the seat is compared to where it was before. Can't wait to get some tilt going on.

The airbags are much smarter in newer cars and only deploy as needed. We do not get the recaro seats due to the need for a bolster airbag.

Picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      The airbags are much smarter in newer cars and only deploy as needed. We do not get the recaro seats due to the need for a bolster airbag.
      Good to finally see one in a mk7. I wonder what is takes to make one pop, not that I ever want to find out myself lol. I knew enough about the safety systems that I'm good just knowing they're in there. ✌️

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      Good to finally see one in a mk7. I wonder what is takes to make one pop, not that I ever want to find out myself lol. I knew enough about the safety systems that I'm good just knowing they're in there. ✌️

Side impact
      --

On topic, I readjusted my seat again today starting from scratch (randomly set the height and position, then setting things up 1st seat height is all the way down, 2nd forwards/backwards position using the clutch and brake pedal for distance, 3rd adjusting the wheel height and pulling it all the way towards me to help with hitting my knee, 4th adjusting the seat-back to get a good bend in my arms and wrists over the top of the wheel comfortably).

I haven't adjusted the tilt yet, but I am very happy right now with where the seat is compared to where it was before. Can't wait to get some tilt going on.

This is exactly what I did. I ended up leaving the seat pumped all the way down at the lowest setting (I'm 6'1") and that seemed to solve the seat angle problem for me. I was getting very uncomfortable on longer drives prior to that, but just did a few long trips ad it's smooth sailing now.

Also watching the crash test video, I don't see the bag deploy unless I'm missing it.
      Seat side airbags won't deploy on frontal impacts. They aren't meant to. On side impacts they do.
      If you look on the website of the video you linked to you will find this:

Tested vehicle specifications

Side airbags standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags

Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      Seat side airbags won't deploy on frontal impacts. They aren't meant to. On side impacts they do.
      If you look on the website of the video you linked to you will find this:

Tested vehicle specifications

Side airbags standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
      Thanks, I just got the video link off of another post when googling the seats to find pics. 👍

Still working on getting a comfortable seating position, and pedal setup so I can heel+toe confidently. I can't take the car to an AutoX or track until I do, and I so very much want to because it drives so very very well. (love the DSG more than the 6spd, however I love the lighter front end on the 6spd!!!)

As someone who autocrosses their car, you are likely more aware of its limits than 95% of the drivers on the road - so I gotta ask, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
      As someone who autocrosses their car, you are likely more aware of its limits than 95% of the drivers on the road - so I gotta ask, what happened?
      I'll PM you in about 10 minutes to keep the on topic going lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123