Golf 7 2013 discover pro retrofit with CARPLAY! - Page 12
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
      Quote Originally Posted by LudoMonster View Post
      Just wanted to outline another successful install on a 2015 NA GTI.

Stock was Fender MIB1 with NO navigation but I did have CarNet. Upgraded to an 8 inch screen, MIB2 and USB socket and kept the existing MIB1 amp. All hardware was ordered from APG in Poland, they were easy to work with and everything arrived in the US within less than 2 weeks after order.

Hardware install went smoothly, thanks to the guidance from paul_elstak's original post and the follow up posts from JWadle and dubpar. Also appreciate dubpar helping me validate a few install items via PM. All and all these posts and the advice received were spot on for installation. This is coming from someone who was very nervous about digging into their dashboard and with little experience with installs like this (I only did one similar before swapping an RCD 510 for and RNS 315 on a MKVI).

I just took my time and validated each step before executing and didn't rush. The most difficult (and nervous) part of the whole hardware install for me was getting the trim around the display unit off. Some of those clips are persistent. Other than that, it was really straightforward. Even the cable fishing for the USB wasn't too bad, a good flashlight and sighting where it was supposed to go helped a lot for me, plus I think I got lucky.

That said, on the software side, I did have one issue where initially everything seemed to be working on the display, but I had no sound... APG was very good about working with me on troubleshooting using VCDS scans and it only took a day to get it sorted just because of the time difference and our mutual availability. They offered to Skype or direct message with me to troubleshoot, but scan reviews solved the problem. Ultimately, it turned out to be a single byte change that was required and the sound kicked in. Of note, the tone controls now indicate Dynaudio now but seems to have the same features as the original Fender tone controls and it sounds good.

I also had an issue with the USB port initially and my iPhone. It would charge my phone, but not recognize the iPhone as a device. Turned out to be the USB to Lightning cable. When they say use an Apple cable, they really mean an Apple cable, Apple Certified did not work for me.

One last note, I did have CarNet as part of the stock setup, there was some debate on whether I needed a GPS antenna or not as CarNet has GPS for tracking even if you don't have a Nav system. I had an antenna ready, but when I pulled the MIB1 there was an antenna plugged into the back and it reached the plug in the new unit fine so I decided to try it out and it worked. So I was able to use the already installed GPS antenna even though I didn't have Nav originally in the car.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating the upgrade. Similar to other posters, I was in it for a touch over $2k and its well worth it to me. The new CarPlay and latent Nav features are fantastic, and the interface has cleaner resolution and is snappier to respond and everything is OEM and works like it should. I was looking for certified used options when we picked up this car as I wanted a 2 door before they vanished in the US, but we wanted CarPlay and Nav. Finding a 2016 2 door with the features we wanted was impossible. The price difference of going 2015 with low miles helped justify the upgrade to what is essentially 2016 specs+ (due to 8 inch screen) for the audio system.
      That's exactly what my current setup is and exactly what I'd love to have instead. $2k is a bit steep. Were you able to resell any of your old stuff? Where are you located?

I just did it this week, so haven't tried to sell anything. Will probably keep the old stuff for a few months to make sure everything is solid. I think its going to be a tough sell with component protection issues and now with MIB2 and the larger screens available.

Quote Originally Posted by Universal_Remonster View Post
      That's exactly what my current setup is and exactly what I'd love to have instead. $2k is a bit steep. Were you able to resell any of your old stuff? Where are you located?
      Last edited by LudoMonster; 05-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.

I just did it this week, so haven't tried to sell anything. Will probably keep the old stuff for a few months to make sure everything is solid. I think its going to be a tough sell with component protection issues and now with MIB2 and the larger screens available.
      If you were closer to the Midwest I'd try to recruit you for help. Would love CarPlay but not sure if the cost is worth it to me.

If you were closer to the Midwest I'd try to recruit you for help. Would love CarPlay but not sure if the cost is worth it to me.
      I'm in the Midwest (Chicago) if you ever decide to pull the trigger. Install is easy, the price is steep but as someone who has dumped $2k into aftermarket car audio in the past, OEM is a huge bonus.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
      2015 Golf R DSG+DCC | #441/500 | APR Stage 1 | Discover Pro MIB2 retrofit

Feel free to reach out via PM. dubpar helped me via PM to clarify a few steps, he is definitely more knowledgable then I am. I am a novice when it comes to mods, and the references in this forum were plenty to step me through it. Except for the one coding issue, it was very much plug and play. I really took my time, and the hardware install was 2 hrs tops. Trim removal was the most nerve racking and between notes here and a few YouTube videos you could figure out exactly what to do for each step on trim removal. A set of trim removal tools are handy, and VCDS is nice to have for troubleshooting. If you are a long term VAG owner, investing in that tool is very useful for troubleshooting and doing little mods here and there.

Good luck, like others, whether the cost is worth it or not is a personal decision, I have zero regrets. But like others I have found saving and getting exactly what you want is usually the best route to go vice compromising to save a few bucks.

Great info. I'll certainly enlist dubpar's help if I go that route. Sounds like I need to go to the dealership and play with the MIBII for a while and see how well carplay works for me.

Just wanted to outline another successful install on a 2015 NA GTI....

That said, on the software side, I did have one issue where initially everything seemed to be working on the display, but I had no sound... APG was very good about working with me on troubleshooting using VCDS scans and it only took a day to get it sorted just because of the time difference and our mutual availability. They offered to Skype or direct message with me to troubleshoot, but scan reviews solved the problem. Ultimately, it turned out to be a single byte change that was required and the sound kicked in. Of note, the tone controls now indicate Dynaudio now but seems to have the same features as the original Fender tone controls and it sounds good.
      Good to see another successful retrofit and I'm glad if you found my post helpful.

Can you elaborate on the "no sound" issue you mentioned? Do you happen to know what byte APG changed to fix this, or have a post fix VCDS scan of your car you could send me?

Here's why I'm asking:
      One issue I continue to have is the SiriusXM band showing an "Acquiring signal" message long after it has begun playing. During these times the MIB II volume controls are inactive, and if they had been muted previously, they remain on mute (i.e. "no sound") until the "Acquiring signal" message is cleared. The only reliable way I have found to clear this condition is to switch from SXM to FM to AM and back to SXM - waiting for each band to begin playing.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

n00b
      Quote Originally Posted by JWadle View Post
      Good to see another successful retrofit and I'm glad if you found my post helpful.

Can you elaborate on the "no sound" issue you mentioned? Do you happen to know what byte APG changed to fix this, or have a post fix VCDS scan of your car you could send me?

Here's why I'm asking:
      One issue I continue to have is the SiriusXM band showing an "Acquiring signal" message long after it has begun playing. During these times the MIB II volume controls are inactive, and if they had been muted previously, they remain on mute (i.e. "no sound") until the "Acquiring signal" message is cleared. The only reliable way I have found to clear this condition is to switch from SXM to FM to AM and back to SXM - waiting for each band to begin playing.

This problem with sirius was on early software.
      You need update.

Sorry for the delay. My issue was a complete lack of all sound, and none of the touch screen controls related to sound were responsive. They would slide and then snap back to their default. I couldn't even get touch screen sounds to work. The change was in Module 47. First byte: 22 to 12. Sounds like a completely different issues in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by JWadle View Post

Here's why I'm asking:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112