The Oddball Pro Touring Thread. - Page 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
      I'll have to upload pictures of a car I saw at our local Autocross. Guy took a Fox based Continental that was pretty immaculate inside and out and pretty much threw every Mustang suspension upgrade at it. Thing was fast, and handled. And honestly, when is the last time you saw the Fox based Continental? It had been years for me, being in the Rust Belt.

edit: Someone has already beaten me to it.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by dubdaze68; 10-18-2016 at 11:58 AM.
      DCIVW
      CE.

This thread makes my day with every addition. Seriously, I just saw a roadracing Gremlin and a forgotten Lincoln getting a proper whipping. What's not to love?
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

'36 Packard with a Viper V-10 and a full C-4 suspension? Why the hell not.

DCIVW
      CE.

I kinda consider the Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare to be the "forgotten" Mopars. Looking back at them, I suppose they weren't that bad, considering their era and the fact that Chrysler was going down in flames at the time.

Also, this Malibu is hot. HOT.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Ford Granada? Why not. Odd choice indeed.

DCIVW
      CE.

Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Ford Granada? Why not. Odd choice indeed.

What's odd? Fox bits fit under there, right?

That's not a Fox. It's the early Ford unibody style. It has more in common with the first gen Falcon.

And it's odd because it was a Grandma car back in the day.
      DCIVW
      CE.

^theyres a guy near me with that era falcon in white, 409 pontiac, 2 speed glide and ford 9" things BA.

also, anyone knwo the width of those rear tires?

Damn, that Falcon looks amazing.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Also, this Malibu is hot. HOT.
      I love this, I would kill to do something like this with an 87 Monte Carlo - NASCAR style

Jesus...That Falcon has a 427 SOHC engine? *golf clap*
      Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by amusante1002 View Post
      I love this, I would kill to do something like this with an 87 Monte Carlo - NASCAR style
      I know, right? It would be amazing looking, but getting that look is so difficult without a full tube chassis.

It is amazing they made them look so stock, but how far they were from it.

I mean, look at the rear quarters on this JD Stacy Pak car. So flared.
      DCIVW
      CE.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Quote Originally Posted by andlf View Post
      It was a Mecum - Kissimmee 2017 car...no tire listed though, just 15" wheels.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-26...con-resto-mod/

HIGHLIGHTS
      1963 1/2 Falcon Sprint Resto Mod
      No expense spared custom build
      New SOHC 427 CI aluminum engine with 700 HP
      New block, heads, crank and rods
      Two Holley 600 cfm carburetors
      MSD distributor, coil and plug wires
      Be Cool aluminum radiator with twin fans
      C4 automatic transmission built to handle 1,000 HP
      4-link rear suspension with Detroit locker rear end
      4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes
      Adjustible coilover shocks all around
      Tubbed back half to accommodate 15-inch rear wheels
      Custom built front suspension
      Rechromed grille, headlight and tail light bezels
      Stunning black paint with Red interior
      Bucket seats with console
      Grant steering wheel, Hurst shifter
      No expense was spared in the creation of this over-the-top 1963 Ford Falcon Resto Mod coupe, which packs the overwhelming punch of Ford’s legendary 427 CI SOHC “Cammer” V-8 engine. The world has seen this phenomenon before; Blue Oval drag-racing favorite Phil Bonner terrorized the competition with his famed Cammer-powered “Daddy Warbucks” Falcon A/FX racer in the mid ‘60s. But while that car’s sole mission was to run flat-out in a straight line, this Falcon was built to carve the curves as well, and looking good while doing that. The former task was made possible by more than 50 years of engineering developments made to order for harnessing the big Cammer’s overwhelming power; the latter was accomplished by superb preparation and close attention to detail. Built by Barillaro Speed Emporium in Knoxville, Tennessee, the 427 powering this Falcon comprises an all-new aluminum block, heads, crank and connecting rods, and is topped with dual inline Holley 600 CFM 4-barrel carburetors delivering the fuel-air charge through an aluminum intake manifold. An MSD distributor, Blaster coil and ignition wires reliably fire the incoming charge, while a Be Cool heavy-duty aluminum radiator with twin electric fans maintains proper operating temperatures. Built to handle 1,000 HP, the Falcon’s Ford C4 3-speed automatic transmission is well up to the task of transmitting the 427’s 700 HP output to the beefy Detroit Locker rear end. Putting that power down requires serious rubber, so the back half of the Falcon was tubbed to accommodate 15-inch-wide Yokohama Avid tires on spoked alloy wheels. Custom built front A-arm and 4-link rear suspension, adjustable coilover shocks and Wilwood disc brakes at all four corners keep the Falcon planted and under control at all times. Stunning black paint and rechromed trim contribute to the car’s show-quality good looks, complemented by a pristine red bucket-seat interior complete with center console, Grant steering wheel and a racy Hurst shifter.

According to the article they were Yokohama Avid tires, 15" wide (that would be 385s). But the Yokohama website doesn't list any such tires in that width. Even their racing tires don't go to that width.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Not muscle but the same sort of idea, I really want an XJS done in a similar way to the Lister.

Or like this:

A street car taking cues from this:

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I was >< close to getting a coupe a hew years back, MS3 and a coupla turbos n get rid of literally every lucas derived electrical system in the entire car. coupes were a dime a dozen on kijiji and I had time n money (pre wife/kids lol).

now, I have the skills to actually do it as a result of my race car build (which is never enfinjg) but good god you cannot find these things easily anymore... and ya,, no time/place lol

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      According to the article they were Yokohama Avid tires, 15" wide (that would be 385s). But the Yokohama website doesn't list any such tires in that width. Even their racing tires don't go to that width.
      That's insanely wide, must be a typo--also because "Avid" is Yokohama's standard passenger car line, very far from anything that resembles a drag radial.

They look like BFG G-Force T/A Drag Radials, and the biggest they make those in is 345. Which is still huge.

18x12 with 345/30/18:

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Jesus...That Falcon has a 427 SOHC engine? *golf clap*
      Very nice.

I know, right? It would be amazing looking, but getting that look is so difficult without a full tube chassis.

It is amazing they made them look so stock, but how far they were from it.

I mean, look at the rear quarters on this JD Stacy Pak car. So flared.
      I like your style. I would do this but with the different rear glass

I can verify the car would have to be tubbed (duh) with the stock bodywork in the rear of one of those though you can barely even fit an 8 inch wide tire. We worked on a 63 Falcon Futura, with a mild 302 and a 4R70w transmission we had to squeeze a set of 215-45-17 under the back of it. There simply is very little room between the rear quarter with the partial skirt and the bump stop mount.

My newest favorite thread.

Not a real oddball, but Nova:

Just looked at all of these again...

My friends dad has/had a couple of these. He had a bunch of wagons and 60s chevys. I'll find more pics.

initiative comes to thems that wait

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Not very oddball but this thread deserves at least one panther:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      East Idaho is interesting.

Really want to build a '71 like the Tokyo Drift one.

That Rocket 88 is interesting. Almost done up like a Carrera Panamerica race car.

And when Tokyo Drift came out, I did think that Monte was interesting. It was amazing to see all of the body panels damn near come off during all of the stunts.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Best thread in the history of ever.
      Have a on me...

In.. That panther body has me thinking craigslist and my bank account may take a beating soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast