VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Oddball Pro Touring Thread.

100K views 236 replies 79 participants last post by  dubdaze68 
#1 ·
Since it's become way more prevalent in the past few years, I have to say that I really love the Pro Touring movement. Taking old muscle and making them all around cars, with modern performance, handling, and braking, is really appealing. Plus, it seems to be such a subtle art form. Yes, sometimes the wheel and tire combos can be a touch aggressive and not fit the car stylisticly, but it's way better than ill-fitting old drag wheels with the ass end jacked up in the air like it's the 80's.

I especially like when oddball cars get the treatment. Like so:

Hey Javelin!

Mustang II

Mercury Comet:

Mercury Maverick

Pontiac LeMans

Pontiac Grand Am

Anybody else have some favorites?

See less See more
#67 ·
Moar pictures guys!

#69 ·
Moar pictures guys!

I think that's Frieberger's Buick that they stole wheels off to take their Valiant Lemons racing.

Capri with a mustang hood?:confused:
That's an early Fox body Mustang with updated lighting and silly wheels. The rest of the graphics etc. are more-or-less factory.

#80 ·
Yeah, if only you could find a mid-late 70's Pontiac Ventura that actually had floors and trunk lid. I loved the styling of them, but even almost new, they rusted. My Uncle put his foot through the floorpan of his then 4 year old '77. Wet day, his foot slipped off of the brake pedal, and BAM, new ventilation hole.

#138 ·
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I was >< close to getting a coupe a hew years back, MS3 and a coupla turbos n get rid of literally every lucas derived electrical system in the entire car. coupes were a dime a dozen on kijiji and I had time n money (pre wife/kids lol).

now, I have the skills to actually do it as a result of my race car build (which is never enfinjg) but good god you cannot find these things easily anymore... and ya,, no time/place lol

#92 ·
it's way better than ill-fitting old drag wheels with the ass end jacked up in the air like it's the 80's.
While I do agree that the Pro Touring thing is cool, the amount of money needed to properly build a pro touring car makes me want a jacked up ass end with bigs 'n littles and a big block under the hood.
You can buy a new 991 for the price of some of the cars in this thread, and the work needed to build them is far beyond the backyard mechanic.

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/1978-1988-g-body-monte-carlo-chassis/

I prefer cubic inches over cubic dollars

#95 ·
While I do agree that the Pro Touring thing is cool, the amount of money needed to properly build a pro touring car makes me want a jacked up ass end with bigs 'n littles and a big block under the hood.
You can buy a new 991 for the price of some of the cars in this thread, and the work needed to build them is far beyond the backyard mechanic.
while I agree with you somewhat, let's face it...Those tires are antiquated, and they are terrible in the rain. They ride like a buckboard. They wallow back and forth while swinging 12 times to get into their space at the car cruise. Most of them dump so much fuel at idle, that they run like ****. Most older drag racers are still cut to hell to fit universal fit mini-tubs in, and some are still running four wheel drums. I think it's still a different model of person that owns them as well. Most of the traditional cars around here are still owned by the bearded, mulleted, 3 pack of Marlboro red smoking, sleeve cut off, acid washed 501 wearing, 50+ guy.

I think the Pro-Touring thing is becoming more affordable as it has caught on, and it has swept up more "unloved" cars in it's wake, which is good. Parts are becoming more affordable, and way more of it has become bolt-on, as the market realizes the potential of modern tech in old cars. Especially since LS series, and Hemi motors are becoming junkyard available, more and more piggyback systems are in the purview of anyone who can operate a soldering iron, and more shops are offering frames and suspension kits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.