BFG G-force Comp-2 A/S
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BFG G-force Comp-2 A/S

I know that somebody on here sort of recently bought a set, but I can't find the thread. If that somebody sees this, how are these treating you? They're at the top of my tire heap right now. Before anybody brings it up, the DWS/DWS06/A/S 3+ isn't available in my sizes, and the A/S 3 wears way too fast on my car (per several owners). I'd like another set of the SP Sport Maxx A1-A A/S tires that are on the car now, but they are twice the cost of the BFGs (well over $1,000 delivered).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      DWS/DWS06/A/S 3+ isn't available in my sizes
      Might be worth looking for a size +5 or +10mm in width to open up options, if that's something you're interested in and haven't tried yet. Did it with the ST to get some Pilot Super Sports.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Might be worth looking for a size +5 or +10mm in width to open up options, if that's something you're interested in and haven't tried yet. Did it with the ST to get some Pilot Super Sports.
      I did, and there is a reasonable way to get into a DWS06 by going from a 225/50 to a 235/50 up front (and keep the 245/45 rear), but I'd rather stick to factory sizes. That is an option, but I hated the DWSs on my old Si, and the 06 doesn't appear to be that much better. Snow performance isn't particularly important for my needs, which is kind of the main point of the DWS. Size per size, the A/S 3+ is quite a bit narrower than the old A/S 3, so I may be able to come up with something on those... but they likely still have the wear and noise issue.

I did, and there is a reasonable way to get into a DWS06 by going from a 225/50 to a 235/50 up front (and keep the 245/45 rear), but I'd rather stick to factory sizes. That is an option, but I hated the DWSs on my old Si, and the 06 doesn't appear to be that much better. Snow performance isn't particularly important for my needs, which is kind of the main point of the DWS. Size per size, the A/S 3+ is quite a bit narrower than the old A/S 3, so I may be able to come up with something on those... but they likely still have the wear and noise issue.
      Gotcha. Can't speak to the A/S3+ since I haven't run them, though they might go on the ST next spring, depends. Well hopefully someone will chime in here about the Comps soon. Good luck!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

I rock the BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2, and they are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

I just looked at Costco and they have the A/S 3+ if you want to check it out (slightly different speed ratings though)

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I just looked at Costco and they have the A/S 3+ if you want to check it out (slightly different speed ratings though)
      I've gotten mixed messages about mixing speed ratings. Some say it's fine so long as the higher-rated tire is out back, but some places (like Tire Rack) won't even sell a mixed set. Logically, it seems to make sense that it's OK to mix, but the handling characteristics are supposedly different between speed ratings. Costco will sell the mixed set though, like you say. I went in for a quote, and it was $880 or something. At that price, I'd just assume get the A1-As that I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Good to hear. I'd go with a summer tire, but it does get down around freezing here over the winter, so an A/S it is.

I really like the sport comp 2. had a couple sets on my miata and it was a great tire.

I have Extreme Contact DWS on the TTRS and I like it ok. I should've gone with something grippier. Sidewall seems a bit soft too, wants to wiggle. For my use they are fine. I got the DWS since I was living in a place that gets bad weather at the time. Now I'm more south and I'll run summers all year long. Either PSS or an R Comp
      Iroz Motorsport Built Engine | 034 Motorsports Catless DP | APR RSC Catback | APR Stage 2+ Tune | 034 Motorsports RARB + Shifter Bracket Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post

x3. i love these tires. cant beat the price either

Don't know about the comp-2 a/s, but I have a set of bfgoodrich g-force t/a kdw on myRX8- things are sticky as heck.
      But they are also loud. Sigh.
      They look awesome tho.

"Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

I've heard good reviews about the improved sidewalls and tread life of the newer DWS06.

how do these compare to a re71r or a hankook rs3?

I'm running the Comp 2 A/S on my car. Quite happy with them, they replaced a set of Goodyear UHP AS tires (name escapes me at the moment).

Look up the reviews on NASIOC, the tires are basically made by Michelin.

Pluses:

-Firm sidewall. Not as stiff as a summer performance or the AS3 tire but better than the GY. No experience with the DWS.

-Smoother ride versus Pilot AS3.

-Traction abound. Great in the rain as well.

Minus:

-Will flatspot if left sitting. After a long rest in long term parking, it took a bit for the ride to smooth out.

-Tread pattern is a touch noisier than the previous tires. Not a deal breaker, but I noticed it and it is a slight hum that wasn't there before. I also drive a Subaru with little to no sound deadening so take that for what it's worth.

That's what I've noticed and I've put them through two trips back and forth to NC and one to West Point, NY and they're wearing well. Presently at 7500 miles and rotated once.

-Randy

^ Thanks for the info. The tread design does look like it would be on the louder side, but it doesn't seem like it's all that bad. Flat-spotting would be annoying though. My car sits sometimes for a week at a time, and most times it wouldn't get driven long enough for them to work it out. Hmm. Limited tire options suck.

Just for clarification, this is the tire in question:

Quote Originally Posted by tomacGTi View Post
      I'm running the Comp 2 A/S on my car. Quite happy with them, they replaced a set of Goodyear UHP AS tires (name escapes me at the moment).
      Eagle F1 Symmetric AS ? Those are what I have too and was thinking about replacing them the the Comp 2 A/S as mine are about bald right now. That's good info to hear

Quote Originally Posted by VeeeDoubleU View Post
      x3. i love these tires. cant beat the price either
      Best bang for the buck.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

I would not recommend a directional tire on your G35. Instead, look at an asymmetric for its ability to rotate side to side for more even wear.

Something like this is an ideal recommendation for your car. They are made in both OE sizes.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=009674&cs=225

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodson View Post
      I would not recommend a directional tire on your G35. Instead, look at an asymmetric for its ability to rotate side to side for more even wear.

Something like this is an ideal recommendation for your car. They are made in both OE sizes.

I have these on my car right now. They are very quiet, and grip pretty well in dry conditions, but occasionally very traction challenged in the wet. Only been on the car for about 5k, so I can't speak to cold weather or tread wear.

Quote Originally Posted by giulianot View Post
      how do these compare to a re71r or a hankook rs3?
      they don't, these are everyday tires, not 180-200 treadwear tires

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodson View Post

Ah, good point. That is certainly a consideration that I didn't take into account (and that's how I "rotate" the tires on in now). The Yokohamas you posted aren't available in my sizes though - I have an '07 with 245/45 and 225/50 18s. The Advan Sport A/S is, but that gets kind of low marks in tests.

As much as I like all of the information available online, it sure sucks when one has a tendency to overanalyze things. Then again, considering how little I drive, I probably have like 2 more years of the tires on it now. They've been on there for 30k/4 years and, surprisingly for a 260 treadwear tire, have around 40% tread left. I just want better wet weather highway performance and have a new set of tire-less wheels sitting in the garage waiting to go on.

^ Thanks for the info. The tread design does look like it would be on the louder side, but it doesn't seem like it's all that bad. Flat-spotting would be annoying though. My car sits sometimes for a week at a time, and most times it wouldn't get driven long enough for them to work it out. Hmm. Limited tire options suck.

Just for clarification, this is the tire in question:

Have you seen these tires in person? The pics don't give a good idea of how crazy the sidewalls look in real life. We've installed a few sets and they definitely stand out. One customer has them on his S80 T6 and was very impressed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tomacGTi View Post

Look up the reviews on NASIOC, the tires are basically made by Michelin.

Pluses:

-Firm sidewall. Not as stiff as a summer performance or the AS3 tire but better than the GY. No experience with the DWS.

-Smoother ride versus Pilot AS3.

-Traction abound. Great in the rain as well.

Minus:

-Will flatspot if left sitting. After a long rest in long term parking, it took a bit for the ride to smooth out.

-Tread pattern is a touch noisier than the previous tires. Not a deal breaker, but I noticed it and it is a slight hum that wasn't there before. I also drive a Subaru with little to no sound deadening so take that for what it's worth.

That's what I've noticed and I've put them through two trips back and forth to NC and one to West Point, NY and they're wearing well. Presently at 7500 miles and rotated once.

-Randy
      Old thread bump.

I went right from Pilot AS3+ to BFG Comp 2 AS (because of car sale from A4 to allroad) and I would actually say the opposite. The BFG's are much stiffer than the AS3's, even with the BFG's having a taller sidewall in my applications. The AS3+ wrecks the BFG in ride quality, although to be fair it is in a higher price point. It was the very first thing I noticed when I test drove the allroad they were equipped on, anyway. Both sets of tires nearly new.

my .02
      No more Shake N Bake. From now on, it's El Diablo and The Magic Man

My parents have them on their Maxima (245/45/18)

- Not quiet tires but aren't obnoxious either
      - They turn in nice and have plenty of grip.
      - Ride is firm but I don't find them overly harsh
      - They look the absolute business IMO

I think they're a good compromise if you're looking for an all season but want some performance from them.

I bought a set recently. BF Goodrich wasn't on my radar for a high performance all-season tire, but after reading the very positive review on them from Tire Rack, I ordered a set in 235/40-18 for the Volvo..

They are stiffer than the Continental tires it had previously, but I've been pretty impressed. They're responsive and lively, and they're fairly quiet when you push them hard. I got caught in a bit of snow on Angeles Crest Highway and they still worked fairly well, and they're great at highway speeds in stormy weather. I've only got about 3,000 miles on them, so I can't comment on how they'll do long term. But the fronts are looking good after some fairly hard drives through the canyons, so I'm optimistic.
      Last edited by MylesPH1; 05-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.
      - A bunch of old, tough, unbreakable German iron
      - One temperamental, stubborn, fragile Italian thing
      - One Swedish memoriam

I ended up going with the revised compound P-Zero A/S Plus in the factory sizes. I've had them on the car for around 1,000 miles, and they're not bad. Apparently the 'revised compound' didn't do much for snow performance. According to TireRack, they are still pretty lousy in that department. They're not as responsive or quiet as the Dunlops that they replaced, but they seem to ride better. Still oddly narrow out back too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast