In search of my ideal street car: 2011 Honda Civic Si build (8K+ N/A content inside) - Page 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Does someone want to convince me to buy an 8th gen Si? From what people have said here, the driving dynamics are great, the reliability is almost perfect, and it should hold it's value extremely well. I've considered it for a long time, and its a more realistic proposition than finding a non crackpipe priced TSX, or even just finding a Kizashi.

Edit: in another thread, Samson said the Si with ice tires wasn't great in the snow. My Haldex Volvo was surprisingly disappointing for many of the same reasons, anyone with Si experience want to chime in?
      I did 2 winters in Pennsylvania with mine running Bridgestone Blizzaks, was commuting back and forth to Baltimore and I thought it did well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
      I did 2 winters in Pennsylvania with mine running Bridgestone Blizzaks, was commuting back and forth to Baltimore and I thought it did well.
      I heard that Blizzaks lose much of their capability when it wears down past 50-60% tread. Is the LSD an asset in winter?
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

I'm looking forward to the updates.

Man, I'd love to have a drivetrain like that in a midsize...it'd make my daily commute so much more fun

Edit: in another thread, Samson said the Si with ice tires wasn't great in the snow. My Haldex Volvo was surprisingly disappointing for many of the same reasons, anyone with Si experience want to chime in?
      I survived the great Boston snow debacle of 2014-15 (110 inches total) with the Si + Blizzaks. LSD is great getting started in a straight line, can just lightly cover the brake while applying throttle to lock the differential.

Am much more hesitant about snow this time around given the condition of this new car--it's never seen salt and is immaculate underneath so I'm considering keeping it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGolf View Post
      Love seeing this thread, because I've done exactly this. Quickly approaching 230k miles, with 230 whp, using a plethora of Honda OEM parts with some quality aftermarket pieces thrown in. It's a car I never plan on getting rid of. If (and that's a big IF) this motor ever goes, I'll use the opportunity to bump it up to a K24 block with the Z3 head. The thing is, I run this car brutally hard, and it just keeps taking it and asking for more. I've had to do very little to it in the way of repairs, with general maintenance and tires being the majority of the running costs.

I did make the move to the Accord V6 coupe calipers, and I'm really happy with this. Hawk pads for me, but I'm on black 17x8.5 Enkei RPF-1s, so they hide the dust enough for me.

I can't stress enough how much I love this car. Practical, engaging, and reliable. The perfect car for me, although my neighbors might say otherwise when the Full Race exhaust fires up at 5 a.m.
      I had no idea there was another bolt on 8th gen here! What have you done to the car? (My Full Race exhaust is waiting to be installed and to annoy the neighbors as well).

I heard that Blizzaks lose much of their capability when it wears down past 50-60% tread. Is the LSD an asset in winter?
      That was my experience (and especially bad in the wet), but this was about a decade ago (the MZ-01, I believe), so they could be and probably are better now. While it isn't as good as some other cars I've driven, the Si is totally fine in winter weather. It's just not as good as you might expect it to be.

I see that the OP has a set of PSSs on order. Great choice. I put a set on mine about 1,000 miles before I sold it, and they were mostly great tires. They had lots of grip, and pretty quiet about it, even up to the limit. They did have a problem going in a straight line, and after a few different alignment attempts, it seemed like more of a tire defect than anything. I never did get that resolved.

Love these cars so much. Never could get comfortable on long drives with the short seat bottoms though. Damn seat also led to my knee always resting on the end of the damn e brake handle. Honda bean counters decided not to make a reversed console for left hand drive. This one was the first brand new car I ever bought.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI View Post
      Man, I'd love to have a drivetrain like that in a midsize...it'd make my daily commute so much more fun
      First gen tsx. Lower redline and no LSD but still pretty darn fun for an under the radar sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      I survived the great Boston snow debacle of 2014-15 (110 inches total) with the Si + Blizzaks. LSD is great getting started in a straight line, can just lightly cover the brake while applying throttle to lock the differential.

Am much more hesitant about snow this time around given the condition of this new car--it's never seen salt and is immaculate underneath so I'm considering keeping it that way.

I had no idea there was another bolt on 8th gen here! What have you done to the car? (My Full Race exhaust is waiting to be installed and to annoy the neighbors as well).
      Engine wise, it's pretty much any bolt-on I could throw at it! Hybrid Racing CAI, TB from the 3.5 V6, Type-R IM, 410cc injectors from the RDX, Invidia race header, Full Race exhaust, and the Drag Cartel DICs. I've had this combo on the car now for 3+ years, and it's still a blast to zing it up to 8600 whenever I get a chance! I am finding lately that I'm craving a bit more power, but I'd like to think that most of us would after a while. This was my first Honda purchase, and I've been in love since the test drive

Oh, also running a 9 lb flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch (about 50k miles on that now, with no issues and plenty of 3rd gear chirps), Buddy Club short shifter, HFP dampers with H&R sport springs, and the aforementioned brakes and wheels.

Can't wait to see yours finished!

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      First gen tsx. Lower redline and no LSD but still pretty darn fun for an under the radar sedan.
      Midsize. And something new.

I drove mine in fresh snow a number of times with high performance all season tires and never got stuck. I thought it did pretty well. I guess the lsd helped. My gti has the same pirellis (p zero nero) and it can't maintain momentum as well as the Si did.

Engine wise, it's pretty much any bolt-on I could throw at it! Hybrid Racing CAI, TB from the 3.5 V6, Type-R IM, 410cc injectors from the RDX, Invidia race header, Full Race exhaust, and the Drag Cartel DICs. I've had this combo on the car now for 3+ years, and it's still a blast to zing it up to 8600 whenever I get a chance! I am finding lately that I'm craving a bit more power, but I'd like to think that most of us would after a while. This was my first Honda purchase, and I've been in love since the test drive

Oh, also running a 9 lb flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch (about 50k miles on that now, with no issues and plenty of 3rd gear chirps), Buddy Club short shifter, HFP dampers with H&R sport springs, and the aforementioned brakes and wheels.

Can't wait to see yours finished!
      Derek at IMW mentioned you (I think) when I was consulting him about the build. Don't want to ruin the surprise but let's just say your build sheet is

Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      Derek at IMW mentioned you (I think) when I was consulting him about the build. Don't want to ruin the surprise but let's just say your build sheet is
      Haha.......yeah, I've visited Derek a couple times! Love that shop!

FV-QR

we have a poverty spec 8th gen civic. i love it, feels like a car from the 80's, so light and tossable. haven't driven an SI but i bet it's a ton of fun. great project
      signatures are annoying, right?

A few years ago I owned an 02 rsx type s and absolutely loved it. I can only imagine the si being even better due to having the lsd. Often I think about giving up on new cars and going back to something small, and tossable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Granted we don't get a ton of snow in central Ohio but my 2009 Civic Si was fine in the snow with Michelin All Seasons and Blizzaks.

I still have my wheels and Blizzaks from the Si in the garage if anyone wants to buy a set.

Someone in town recently got a bright red Si sedan and it looks really sharp.

Any differences or Best years for this gen?

Quote Originally Posted by roman16v View Post
      Wow, look at that pedal spacing... just begging for proper heel-toe action! Very nice!
      It literally has the best pedals for H/T I've ever used.

Does someone want to convince me to buy an 8th gen Si? From what people have said here, the driving dynamics are great, the reliability is almost perfect, and it should hold it's value extremely well. I've considered it for a long time, and its a more realistic proposition than finding a non crackpipe priced TSX, or even just finding a Kizashi.

I'm honestly not sure if it's the car for you. Try an E36M or a SAAB Viggen, S60R, something like that. I think you'll get bored with the Si pretty quickly.

Love seeing this thread, because I've done exactly this. Quickly approaching 230k miles, with 230 whp, using a plethora of Honda OEM parts with some quality aftermarket pieces thrown in. It's a car I never plan on getting rid of. If (and that's a big IF) this motor ever goes, I'll use the opportunity to bump it up to a K24 block with the Z3 head. The thing is, I run this car brutally hard, and it just keeps taking it and asking for more. I've had to do very little to it in the way of repairs, with general maintenance and tires being the majority of the running costs.

I did make the move to the Accord V6 coupe calipers, and I'm really happy with this. Hawk pads for me, but I'm on black 17x8.5 Enkei RPF-1s, so they hide the dust enough for me.

I can't stress enough how much I love this car. Practical, engaging, and reliable. The perfect car for me, although my neighbors might say otherwise when the Full Race exhaust fires up at 5 a.m.
      God this post makes me salivate. The end of my HondaCare warranty is coming up...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdkins View Post
      Granted we don't get a ton of snow in central Ohio but my 2009 Civic Si was fine in the snow with Michelin All Seasons and Blizzaks.

I still have my wheels and Blizzaks from the Si in the garage if anyone wants to buy a set.
      I might, wanna shoot me a PM?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Someone in town recently got a bright red Si sedan and it looks really sharp.

Any differences or Best years for this gen?
      2009+ were refreshed. 2006-08 had some paint and 3rd gear issues.
      Last edited by Ross1013; 07-09-2016 at 04:08 PM.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      2009+ were refreshed. 2006-08 had some paint and 3rd gear issues.
      '08+ also had a revised rear suspension, but I'm not sure of the exact details. It had something to do with excessive negative camber and associated tire wear on the '07 sedan, at least. In addition to the exterior cosmetic stuff and a USB port, they changed the interior fabrics in '09 as well. It looks pretty much the same but is supposed to be more durable (if I recall correctly), but isn't as nice as the earlier cars. There were no major changes though, so I'd focus more on finding a good one vs. a certain year. That'll be hard enough.

I'm honestly not sure if it's the car for you. Try an E36M or a SAAB Viggen.
      The 8th generation Si is one of those cars that only appeals to a certain type of person. It has some livability compromises that some may not be willing to accept (that's how I finally talked myself out of mine... after four years of trying), but it's certainly worth taking out for a spin. There really isn't anything else like it.

I'm honestly not sure if it's the car for you. Try an E36M or a SAAB Viggen, S60R, something like that. I think you'll get bored with the Si pretty quickly.
      It would be a daily, so it would be newer, not older than my S40. If you guys still love driving it after owning it 50,000 miles than chances are I will after 10,000 miles.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

I'm jealous, I mentally shopped an 8th-gen before buying the Outback, I caved on taking a test-drive because I wanted the higher utility and like boost. I think I will own one someday, maybe I'll find a minty one in a few years and use it for my daily...
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

Would love to sell the Forester and get one of these.

Need wagon for kid and dog.

In for living vicariously through the op's project.

Funny how every 8th gen Si current and past seem to have performance parts in their garage still. I traded like 7 years ago and still have a Neuspeed catback in my garage for an FG2, best catback ever offered for them IMO.

You're going to laugh...but IMO the FG2 and especially FA5 are the E36 M3 of the Honda world.

People priced out of the DC2R market (allegorical to E30M but still much cheaper) are going to eventually gravitate towards the only other Honda ever offered here with the 8,000rpm/FWD/LSD combo.

These things are the Last of the Mohicans, which is why I'm (planning on) hanging onto mine even though the transmission is acting up a bit. Also helps that mine is the weird rare color that no one bought new.

And since the earliest ones are coming up on 10 years old, I'd say they are nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve already. Not 100% sure they will go up because a lot were made, but if they do, now is a good time to find unmolested/uncrashed/adult-owned examples like the OP's.
      Few years ago I toyed with the idea of trading my E90 for one (since it was an autotragic) and clean examples were worth more than the bimmer....

I'm looking into the Si in the near future as a replacement for my beloved R56 MINI Cooper S (I miss it so much).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast