In search of my ideal street car: 2011 Honda Civic Si build (8K+ N/A content inside) - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 171
    1. #76
      I stayed away from this thread for good reason. It hurts physically.

      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      I survived the great Boston snow debacle of 2014-15 (110 inches total) with the Si + Blizzaks. LSD is great getting started in a straight line, can just lightly cover the brake while applying throttle to lock the differential.
      Yep, used this trick more than once.

      I never used snow tires with any of my cars. Just Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I went out there with a chip on my shoulder every time it snowed. If there was anybody with a AWD car or SUV out there throwing their weight around when it snowed thinking they were hot i5ht, I definitely raced them. As such it was the fastest car out there in unplowed 8 inches blizzard conditions, crazy weather where the car high centered, bounced around and still out accelerated, cornered, and braked the most committed guy in the most tricked out SUV or car.

      So, yeah IMHO a Civic Si will beat any car out there in the snow as long as it has the ground clearance.

    2. #77
      Member cournot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2015
      Location
      Ivory Tower, MA
      Posts
      1,494
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      I stayed away from this thread for good reason. It hurts physically.
      Why did you end up selling your Si?

      Quick update: Having some second thoughts about modifying the suspension. I have somewhat custom-spec coilovers sitting in front of me right now but after a long, hard drive on the OE suspension, I find it hard to believe it can be improved much for street use.

      Will have more details on the coilovers to follow but for starters, the spring rates are 6K front, 7.5K rear, rebound adjustable, and most importantly with OE top mounts. An initial dyno plot looks something like this:



      This valving isn't super linear, nor is it super digressive. Looks very similar to the "HFP" shock dyno and should make for a good street damper. Dyno looks very similar to Bilsteins actually, but this is a twin tube and not a Bilstein.

    3. #78
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      Why did you end up selling your Si?
      I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to have the car just sitting around with the new car. I also thought putting the money from the trade in to the new car would save us a little money in the long run. I kind of rationalized it as I had my enjoyment of the car, now it was time to let it go and have somebody else enjoy it rather than let it rot in the garage.

      On the other hand, my wife told me to keep the car and that letting it go wouldn't effect our bottom line. Most of the time I wish I had listened to her.

    4. #79
      One thing to add... I wanted to modify my car exactly like you are modifying yours (keep it NA and catted and extract the maximum power possible add better brakes and then see what I can do with the suspension). I just never saw anybody doing it (everybody was going turbo) and I knew it would sit for at least two more years until I got time to sort out what what to do myself.

    5. #80
      Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      13,167
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to have the car just sitting around with the new car. I also thought putting the money from the trade in to the new car would save us a little money in the long run. I kind of rationalized it as I had my enjoyment of the car, now it was time to let it go and have somebody else enjoy it rather than let it rot in the garage.

      On the other hand, my wife told me to keep the car and that letting it go wouldn't effect our bottom line. Most of the time I wish I had listened to her.
      Wife told you to keep it and you still sold it? Boooooo!
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

      Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

    6. #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Wife told you to keep it and you still sold it? Boooooo!
      I thought I was being a responsible adult.

    7. #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Wife told you to keep it and you still sold it? Boooooo!
      Hey, mine did too. She was confused why I wanted to get rid of it for a boring gray Accord.

      Lesson learned: my wife usually doesn't care about what kind of car I buy, but if she objects on the grounds that the new one is boring and stupid, I should listen. She was spot on.

    8. #83
      Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, Midwest
      Posts
      16,302
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      One thing to add... I wanted to modify my car exactly like you are modifying yours (keep it NA and catted and extract the maximum power possible add better brakes and then see what I can do with the suspension). I just never saw anybody doing it (everybody was going turbo) and I knew it would sit for at least two more years until I got time to sort out what what to do myself.
      its worth doing if you have the right car for it, this is the build i'm on long term with the S2k and its been very rewarding. intake, exhaust, better brakes, stainless brake lines, bilstein pss coilovers, etc. it's been a slow progression, but worth it. OP is doing it right and that SI will be a riot when completed.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    9. #84
      Member JOSHFL420's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2003
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      1,804
      Nice car and mods list. Would like to point out I went with that pad/rotor combo and am now suffering the "judder" others are talking about. This combo is not good for daily driving as the pads just dont get enough heat in them. KNS Brakes pulled them off the shelf due to the amount of calls they recieved about them. Looking at new pads now. DOnt get me wrong they heat up and brake nice but any low levels of breaking and you will feel the judder.

      Just a thought.
      Demokratikally Elekted Direktor and Konveyor of Positive Vibrations for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkAnalyst View Post
      I am the Fgt
      greenie: i'm banging my mechanic

    10. #85
      Quote Originally Posted by JOSHFL420 View Post
      Nice car and mods list. Would like to point out I went with that pad/rotor combo and am now suffering the "judder" others are talking about. This combo is not good for daily driving as the pads just dont get enough heat in them. KNS Brakes pulled them off the shelf due to the amount of calls they recieved about them. Looking at new pads now. DOnt get me wrong they heat up and brake nice but any low levels of breaking and you will feel the judder.

      Just a thought.
      Not on a Civic, but I had that combo- Stoptech street and Centric rotors. Was not happy with it at all- squealed on light braking, lot of dust, etc. If you need hi-po pads, I've found Hawk HPS to be a decent compromise, but they've gotten rather expensive.

    11. #86
      Member cournot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2015
      Location
      Ivory Tower, MA
      Posts
      1,494
      Quote Originally Posted by WhatBlueVW View Post
      One thing to add... I wanted to modify my car exactly like you are modifying yours (keep it NA and catted and extract the maximum power possible add better brakes and then see what I can do with the suspension). I just never saw anybody doing it (everybody was going turbo) and I knew it would sit for at least two more years until I got time to sort out what what to do myself.
      It's a shame actually--everyone worships the turbo builds but those end up becoming super impractical for a variety of reasons. I feel strongly that you shouldn't try to make the Civic a car it was never meant to be, hence the catted, high specific output, street build. I agree--I never see anyone doing this; they all end up going too far, then hate the car and sell it at a loss.

      Quote Originally Posted by JOSHFL420 View Post
      Nice car and mods list. Would like to point out I went with that pad/rotor combo and am now suffering the "judder" others are talking about. This combo is not good for daily driving as the pads just dont get enough heat in them. KNS Brakes pulled them off the shelf due to the amount of calls they recieved about them. Looking at new pads now. DOnt get me wrong they heat up and brake nice but any low levels of breaking and you will feel the judder.

      Just a thought.
      I'm feeling a bit of this--light braking causes a very faint vibration, at a higher frequency than what "warped" rotors would produce. Goes away with more pressure. If I end up hating these pads, I'll pad slap some OEs while I look for a replacement. Hawk now has the "high performance street 5.0" which I think is a slightly updated HPS, so I'll take a look into those.

    12. #87
      Member JOSHFL420's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2003
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      1,804
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      It's a shame actually--everyone worships the turbo builds but those end up becoming super impractical for a variety of reasons. I feel strongly that you shouldn't try to make the Civic a car it was never meant to be, hence the catted, high specific output, street build. I agree--I never see anyone doing this; they all end up going too far, then hate the car and sell it at a loss.



      I'm feeling a bit of this--light braking causes a very faint vibration, at a higher frequency than what "warped" rotors would produce. Goes away with more pressure. If I end up hating these pads, I'll pad slap some OEs while I look for a replacement. Hawk now has the "high performance street 5.0" which I think is a slightly updated HPS, so I'll take a look into those.

      Your already on your way to the judder...sucks it drives me nuts. Remember rotors dont warp they have excess pad material on them.

      Rotors shiny yet?

      I am looking for new pads as I type. Really disappointing with this combo after doing research and even using it on my GTI before I got rid of it.
      Demokratikally Elekted Direktor and Konveyor of Positive Vibrations for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkAnalyst View Post
      I am the Fgt
      greenie: i'm banging my mechanic

    13. #88
      Member Pennywise's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2003
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      7,997
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      It's a shame actually--everyone worships the turbo builds but those end up becoming super impractical for a variety of reasons. I feel strongly that you shouldn't try to make the Civic a car it was never meant to be, hence the catted, high specific output, street build. I agree--I never see anyone doing this; they all end up going too far, then hate the car and sell it at a loss.
      It must be a geographic thing because there aren't too many K20 turbo's roaming around here in CA...also Smog/CARB. With the exception of the Spoon FD2, I'm not much a fan of the turbo K's anyway. Anyway, your car already seems to be on the right path
      Global Time Attack: Every second counts.
      Support your local punk & hardcore scene.
      Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

    14. #89
      Member cournot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2015
      Location
      Ivory Tower, MA
      Posts
      1,494
      237 whp
      163 lb-ft




      More info to come as soon as I get it.

      Do I win the TCL "highest NA specific output" prize yet?

    15. #90
      Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      13,167
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      237 whp
      163 lb-ft




      More info to come as soon as I get it.

      Do I win the TCL "highest specific output" prize yet?
      Wow, that was quick. I expected this to take a while! Awesome #s too, I'm jelly.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

      Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

    16. #91
      Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, Midwest
      Posts
      16,302
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      237 whp
      163 lb-ft




      More info to come as soon as I get it.

      Do I win the TCL "highest NA specific output" prize yet?
      you're probably close, an s2000 with a few bolt ons can usually make close (though slightly less) than those numbers. great work!
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    17. #92

      FV-QR

      Any videos? I'd love to see it move!
      2013 Golf R - VWR Intake - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP - SPM TurboBack Exhaust - Autotech Fuel Pump - More to Come
      All mods have been approved and endorsed by Accidental L8 apex

    18. #93
      Member cournot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2015
      Location
      Ivory Tower, MA
      Posts
      1,494


      That top end pull

      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      you're probably close, an s2000 with a few bolt ons can usually make close (though slightly less) than those numbers. great work!
      I should have had a no cat pull just in case someone comes in to challenge these numbers! Probably has 5whp left in it haha

      Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon View Post
      Any videos? I'd love to see it move!
      Soon! Picking the car up tomorrow then need to get a new gopro mount.

    19. #94
      Is that extrapolated to 8600RPM or is that your new redline?


    20. #95
      Member cournot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2015
      Location
      Ivory Tower, MA
      Posts
      1,494
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Is that extrapolated to 8600RPM or is that your new redline?

      Nope that's the new redline! Stock valvetrain is good for 8600 (Type R already revs out that high).

      Wish I did valvetrain though because it clearly wants to keep pulling.

    21. #96
      Right on. That must be a nice noise.

    22. #97
      Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      24,758
      Blog Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post


      That top end pull



      I should have had a no cat pull just in case someone comes in to challenge these numbers! Probably has 5whp left in it haha



      Soon! Picking the car up tomorrow then need to get a new gopro mount.
      Wow, really dig the shape of both curves. Nice job!

    23. #98
      Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, Midwest
      Posts
      16,302
      that's a really nice looking power curve...here is an AP2 tuned on a flashpro, intake, test pipe, and exhaust. your power curve is perfect for a daily!

      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

    24. #99
      Member Pennywise's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2003
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      7,997
      Global Time Attack: Every second counts.
      Support your local punk & hardcore scene.
      Quote Originally Posted by woofsburger View Post
      It's reassuring to know that when I finally hit the 98th percentile of US individual income, that I may then buy my dream car - a Toyota Avalon.

    25. #100
      Junior Member AutoGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2003
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      94
      Love it, man! Congrats on the #s! 130+ HP/L is pretty badass!

    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast