In search of my ideal street car: 2011 Honda Civic Si build (8K+ N/A content inside) - Page 5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
      You're not by chance in the southern pa/northern md area are you? I've always wanted a ride in one of these haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mj8807 View Post
      You're not by chance in the southern pa/northern md area are you? I've always wanted a ride in one of these haha

If the OP isn't, I am. I live in the York area and work in the Baltimore area, so if you're interested, hit me up!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGolf View Post
      If the OP isn't, I am. I live in the York area and work in the Baltimore area, so if you're interested, hit me up!
      Sounds great, I'm right in felton(just south of red lion). I was actually just in York for dinner haha.

Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Modded = beat to ****
      Stock = driven by 87 year old grandmother
      Miss Daisy might not do all her own work and rub her car with a diaper, but she also wasn't a flatbrim bro who hoped boosted VTAK would make women jump into the car naked at 50mph.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGolf View Post
      Love it, man! Congrats on the #s! 130+ HP/L is pretty badass!
      I can finally ricer brag that my (pseudo-emissions-compliant) car has the same NA specific output as the current production car leader, which I believe is the 458 Speciale.

Quote Originally Posted by mj8807 View Post

I spend most of my time up in Boston these days but much of the work on this car was done in my parents' driveway/garage in Delaware. But you should take AutoGolf up on his offer!

threads like these are one of the main reasons i still hang around TCL after all these years. great work! love the story behind it all, you attention to detail and how you've envisioned a solid, "everyman" goal for your Si that will make it really special but pretty stealthy and practical from the outside. that dyno sheet looks pretty savage for what is a fairly short parts list so far, in the grand scheme

i've heard nothing but good stuff about these cars and the K20 is a work of art, considering how reliable they are for their output. i have super fond memories of my college room-mates' '99 Si and the jekyll/hyde personality that the B16 gave it....we brutalized that poor thing and it just never ever complained, often netting him MPG's in the mid 30's when he wasn't asking for every last RPM. this must be the same effect but turned up to 11.

any plans for a more aggressive alignment and/or caster+camber gains, or would that negate the streetability too much for you? those tweaks really changed the personality on my DD impreza.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyb 1.8T View Post
      any plans for a more aggressive alignment and/or caster+camber gains, or would that negate the streetability too much for you? those tweaks really changed the personality on my DD impreza.
      Certainly--once the suspension is installed, I'll run roughly 1.25 to 1.5* camber in the front, a bit more in the rear because DD safety, and 0 toe front, slight toe in rear. Rear of the Si toes out under compression so it's already great in that regard.

Another update:

The 3" exhaust is just too loud for me. I already put in an order for a HyTech custom 2.5" twin loop exhaust, and I'm strongly considering ordering his header as well since it's all plug and play. Out the door cost for the header, cat, and exhaust would be more than I'm comfortable with but it would give me some real piece of mind.

I expect an increase in torque also.

Update: bit the bullet and ordered the header as well. I should, in 2-3 months time, have a complete headerback exhaust system custom made/welded to the specs of this motor. John at HyTech exhaust was kind enough to take down all the specs of my build, down to the lift and duration of the cams, in order to custom make his header. It's stupid expensive but the point of this build was to have quality/reliability/streetability as a first priority, and the eBay header/3" exhaust doesn't really make sense (not to mention the header is leaking like a bitch even though it's welded shut).

Here are some photos of a sample system:

The weird bulges in the header primaries are anti-reversion chambers, which reduce exhaust gas tendency to follow the pulses back into the cylinder and increases velocity/torque.

The muffler is a pretty cool "twin-loop" design that he promises doesn't drone (and everything I've heard confirms that). It's also a 2.5" system which may help the low-end on the motor a bit. Generally speaking K-series motors like big exhausts but I seem to have lost some low-end on this build, John seems to think it might be the cams that aren't playing well with the exhaust.

Unfortunately I'll have to wait a while (and be stuck with a leaky header/loud exhaust), but all in all this pretty much strengthens the weakest link in my motor setup.

This thread interests me because I've secretly been looking at Si's to replace my TDI with when it gets bought back. I've fallen deeply in love with the s2k and its amazing engine and the K series is therefore pretty tempting. No hatch in a year I'd want is my only real issue. What are the major differences between the 8th and 9th gen Si?

I'm also wanting something to toss a few mods at so that I don't have that itch with the s2k...

One of the best TCL threads in a long time. Perhaps I'm a biased Honda fanboy but I love this. If I needed a cheaper sedan, I would follow in OP's steps. Keep us posted!
      Slow Car Fast

Quote Originally Posted by fknlo View Post
      This thread interests me because I've secretly been looking at Si's to replace my TDI with when it gets bought back. I've fallen deeply in love with the s2k and its amazing engine and the K series is therefore pretty tempting. No hatch in a year I'd want is my only real issue. What are the major differences between the 8th and 9th gen Si?

I'm also wanting something to toss a few mods at so that I don't have that itch with the s2k...
      Pennywise might be able to help out but the differences are as follows:

Suspension: More or less the same. Small things here and there (9th has a fraction of an inch more travel in the front).
      Exterior: 9th has better underbody aero. 9th hood is raised to clear a K24 and have room for easy service.
      Interior: 9th has far better tech. 8th seats feel "deeper" more bolstered but seats are personal preference.
      Powertrain: 8th has a "true" vtec head with VTEC on both intake and exhaust valves. 9th only has VTEC on intake.
      8th has four exhaust ports and can run a true header. 9th has a "monoport" where the exhaust manifold is cast with the head.
      8th revs to 8K stock, 8.5K without any additional work. 9th does 7K stock, can do 7.5K without any additional work.

Basic bolt ons will net the same horsepower on both the 8th and 9th (mayyyybe the 8th has a bit more), but the 9th will have far more torque with the 2.4. Anything above basic bolt ons NA, the 9th needs a head swap.

8th gen over 9th any day. The 9th gen Si feels like an appliance while the 8th has soul and feels alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
      8th gen over 9th any day. The 9th gen Si feels like an appliance while the 8th has soul and feels alive.
      Yeah, I like my daily to be fun to drive. My current DD really surprised me in that regard. I've started test driving possible replacements, I'll just have to find a couple Si's to play around with. How are they as far as utility goes? Do the back seats fold down? I bike, snowboard, fish from a kayak, etc... and my car needs to be able to handle my hobbies in/on it.

Yeah, I like my daily to be fun to drive. My current DD really surprised me in that regard. I've started test driving possible replacements, I'll just have to find a couple Si's to play around with. How are they as far as utility goes? Do the back seats fold down? I bike, snowboard, fish from a kayak, etc... and my car needs to be able to handle my hobbies in/on it.
      Rear seats are 60/40. Large interior, flat rear floor, decent trunk. I've been able to fit a mountain bike in the car with the rear seats folded flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
      I agree to a point but the 9th is nowhere near as bad as people say.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Love this thread. I had the stepchild 7th gen Civic Si. It was fun for what it was.

The rears fold, I used to carry my BMX bike in the back without removing the front wheel. A full size electric guitar case will fit perpendicular behind the front seats and so on.

Drove a 9th Gen today since there was one at the Honda Dealership in my area. 2014, 21,000 miles(more than double what my s2k has ). As someone who hasn't spent any time in a Honda outside of my s2k, the interior is ****ing weird. The setup of the gauges makes it feel like you're a million miles away from them. I'm sure you get used to it, but it's a bit off at first. The seats didn't feel great compared to either my Golf or the s2k. Interior space overall was workable, especially when you consider I'd put a roof rack on it. No pass through on the back seat is a negative as far as me carrying fishing poles in the car. Shifter was alright. I probably shouldn't drive the s2k to go test DD replacements, but I did. The engine was not bad. Noticeably more torque down low so it doesn't feel punishing to start off slow in second. VTEC change over wasn't all that noticeable and it didn't pull to redline like I expected it to. A lot less drama in the top of the rev range when compared to the f22c. The car handled fairly well and the steering was alright. I liked the car overall. I'm gonna have to hunt down a clean 8th gen to drive. Finding a lower mileage stock sedan probably wouldn't be the easiest task at this point but I think I could probably live with the newer one if I had to.

Awesome thread! In for updates.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Added a little old school Honda flair to the car while I wait for the new exhaust to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by mike02467 View Post
      I miss my dyno blue pearl 2011 SI sedan. I'm an idiot for trading it in for a Hybrid.
      This is why I don't sell anything. I have a problem. I know if I sell my S2000 I'll regret it later.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Molar View Post
      In. Love the the OEM upgrades. I need a K24 in the S2000.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalAl View Post

See that little hump in the valve cover? That's the benefit of the K-series over the F-series (VTC). Here's a dyno of a pretty standard K24 setup (bolt ons, K20 head) versus a bolt on F20C.

I expect K swaps to become more popular now that there's an off-the-shelf kit available to swap a K motor in (Ballade Sports). Power and cost-wise it's a no brainer if you want to stay NA. 300whp reliably on pump gas is formulaic at this point with a K24.

Other benefits of a K motor include:

1) Far greater availability of spares (specifically blocks)
      2) Far greater availability of aftermarket parts (e.g. cams)
      3) No FRM cylinder liners, just traditional iron liners that can be easily rebored

Negatives are that you need the K20 cylinder head (or a TSX cylinder head with some light port work) to match the F20C/F22C head flow. Other than that the motors are very, very similar (in fact putting an S2000 crank in a K24 block is a pretty common way of making a "destroked" motor). The only difference is that the K got VTC since it came out a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post

See that little hump in the valve cover? That's the benefit of the K-series over the F-series (VTC). Here's a dyno of a pretty standard K24 setup (bolt ons, K20 head) versus a bolt on F20C.

I expect K swaps to become more popular now that there's an off-the-shelf kit available to swap a K motor in (Ballade Sports). Power and cost-wise it's a no brainer if you want to stay NA. 300whp reliably on pump gas is formulaic at this point with a K24.

Other benefits of a K motor include:

1) Far greater availability of spares (specifically blocks)
      2) Far greater availability of aftermarket parts (e.g. cams)
      3) No FRM cylinder liners, just traditional iron liners that can be easily rebored

Negatives are that you need the K20 cylinder head (or a TSX cylinder head with some light port work) to match the F20C/F22C head flow. Other than that the motors are very, very similar (in fact putting an S2000 crank in a K24 block is a pretty common way of making a "destroked" motor). The only difference is that the K got VTC since it came out a few years later.
      If you're spending the money for an engine swap, a new engine and bolt ons, you can do a lot more power gains with the S2000 engine. I wouldn't trade this motor for a civic engine. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalAl View Post
      If you're spending the money for an engine swap, a new engine and bolt ons, you can do a lot more power gains with the S2000 engine. I wouldn't trade this motor for a civic engine. No thanks.
      cournot summed it nicely. My s2k is pretty much driven track only at this point. I wouldn't make the effort to do the swap now that the car runs great but at the time when the engine inevitable gives up the ghost I would like to take the time to upgrade to the superior "civic engine".
      Last edited by The Holy Molar; 08-07-2016 at 07:58 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast