Attempted coup in Turkey
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Attempted coup in Turkey

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...losion-8431256

Internet cut, explosions, etc.

Video:

https://www.periscope.tv/mckameymanor/1djGXXBvekjGZ

How is CNN not covering this yet?
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

****ing hell. My best friend is on vacation there right now.

****, I'm worried as hell. Hope he gets his ass to the embassy pronto.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

It's about time.

This guy approves:

Wow, the military claims to have seized control.

This will get rather interesting...

I am glad I got in and out last month. Thanks for waiting Turks!

Looks like military has taken control of state TV and radio stations and all major airports. Just heard NPR report the air space in Turkey is officially closed and all flights are being diverted.

Does anyone know "what side" the military is on? I assume anti-democracy...?

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      They're on the side of the Republic.

Attaturk pretty much mandated them to preserve the Republic.

The Six Fundamental Pillars of Kemalism:
      There are six fundamental pillars (ilke) of the ideology: Republicanism (Turkish: cumhuriyetçilik), Populism (Turkish: halkçılık), Nationalism (Turkish: milliyetçilik), Secularism (Turkish: laiklik), Statism (Turkish: devletçilik), and Reformism (Turkish: devrimcilik). The principles came to be recognized as unchangeable and sacrosanct
      There were coups in 1960 and 1980. Erdogan had a purge of sorts involving senior military officials not that long ago, in order to keep power. Looks he couldn't do it this time around...
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 07-15-2016 at 05:23 PM.

No, they stand for the secular republic that Ataturk championed; Turkey has a history of the military staging coups to restore and preserve the republic instead of subverting it as groups in other countries have done. Whereas previous coups may have been against communist elements, this one may have something to do with Erdogan and his Islamist policies and limiting liberties.

While the current Govt is democratically elected, it has been widely seen as autocratic and "too religious". Turkey's constitution says it is a secular republic so the military historically sees itself as the guarantor of that secular ideal.

Erdogan took off on the presidential plane and headed towards Israel but his flight was denied entry to Israeli air space. It is reportedly on its way to Germany now where he is seeking asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      While the current Govt is democratically elected, it has been widely seen as autocratic and "too religious". Turkey's constitution says it is a secular republic so the military historically sees itself as the guarantor of that secular ideal.

Erdogan took off on the presidential plane and headed towards Israel but his flight was denied entry to Israeli air space. It is reportedly on its way to Germany now where he is seeking asylum.
      I hear they wrote a nice poem about him there... LOL

Wow. Some birthday I have. Woke up to the news of Nice attack, went out for a lot of beers, swam at the beach, came back to a military coup in Turkey.

Can't say I am surprised, the acting president was making to many enemies and pushing the line to hard, this is the push back. Just hard to believe that a NATO nation and future EU nation is going through a coup, makes me question everything I believed about the stability of other countries.

But all Americans want to know: Will there be Turkey on Thanksgiving?

Seriously, though... Europe is f'd up.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Wow. Some birthday I have. Woke up to the news of Nice attack, went out for a lot of beers, swam at the beach, came back to a military coup in Turkey.

Can't say I am surprised, the acting president was making to many enemies and pushing the line to hard, this is the push back. Just hard to believe that a NATO nation and future EU nation is going through a coup, makes me question everything I believed about the stability of other countries.
      In Turkey's case, a military coup is usually about restoring stability and keeping it on track for EU entry. This isn't a group of generals looking to grab power for their personal gain, this is a pillar of the modern Turkish society ensuring the republic continues on.

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post

How is CNN not covering this yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/asia/t...ion/index.html

May not be "attempted" any more. Military is claiming control. But so is government so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post

Your friend will be alright. Sounds like it is turning out to be a bloodless coup. Erdogan authoritarian approach is now showing how much support he has.

As a bonus, they should have ignored the request and let the Iron dome do its job.

MSNBC reported on air a while ago that Erdogan has left IST but no one else is reporting so not sure how accurate this is. The only mention on the internet thus far is from someone that works at MSNBC: https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...64655270547456

Incoming flights are still landing at IST but nothing has left the ground in a while

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/LTBA

This guy is live tweeting in English from Turkey: https://twitter.com/agirecudi

Check out the video of the army helicopter firing at some kind of Govt building

This guy is live tweeting in English from Turkey: https://twitter.com/agirecudi

Check out the video of the army helicopter firing at some kind of Govt building

Shots 'fired at national intelligence HQ'

Posted at
      18:08

The state-run Anadolu Agency is reporting that military helicopters have fired shots at the headquarters of the national intelligence agency in Ankara.

There are reports that other buildings, including the presidential palace, have also been targeted.
      http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-36811357

Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post

Or not.

In what ways could leadership change in Turkey impact NATO?
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Good luck to em. If this sorts itself out correctly and Erdogan's influence is removed, Turkey could stay a reasonable partner in the region.

This good news long term. However he is very popular with the fundamentalists. The army will have to decide if they are willing to mow down unarmed protestors.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This sounds like it's all sorts of ****ed up...

Report: Army helicopter downed by Turkish fighter jet

Posted at
      19:09

Turkish broadcaster NTV reports that a Sikorsky helicopter belonging to the army group attempting a coup has been downed by a Turkish military F-16 jet.

This is only one report so far, so we will bring you more on this when we get it.

Anadolu: Jets seeking to engage rebel helicopters over Ankara

Turkey's state agency Anadolu reports that the army's jets are flying over the capital Ankara to "neutralise" helicopters being used by those behind the coup.

Anadolu names the group "Feto", which is what Turkey's government calls the Hizment movement run by the cleric Fetullah Gulen.
      So the entire military isn't behind this??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast