Attempted coup in Turkey - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Teachers, judges, police, military and religious people getting the boot...?

It's also interesting to note that Incirlik has had the power cutoff for days now. They're on generator power currently.
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 07-19-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      It's also interesting to note that Incirlik has had he power cutoff for days now. They're on generator power currently.
      https://www.rt.com/news/351877-incir...search-turkey/

From the article it reads like the base is "shared" between US forces and Turkey so the Turkish authorities are targeting "conspirators" among the Turkish side.

If Turkey goes after US nukes I think any pretense of innocence is gone.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Teachers, judges, police, military and religious people getting the boot...?

Yeah, this is sounding ominous. Guy a few pages ago who predicted the Erdogan dictatorship seems like he was right on.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Yeah, this is sounding ominous. Guy a few pages ago who predicted the Erdogan dictatorship seems like he was right on.
      New Dictator for Life just declared 3 months of "State Emergency" so that he could "protect the democracy"
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      You mean CalDeRoo?

And Ataturk's legacy is dead... They had a pretty good run, especially given the rest of the region's instability in a post WWI world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39612562

And Ataturk's legacy is dead... They had a pretty good run, especially given the rest of the region's instability in a post WWI world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39612562
      Let's hope for our sake and the rest of the world that he pulls a Saddam Hussein and leads with strength by keeping all the threatening groups on their knees. That is the only positive that can come of this.

Turkey had a good run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
      The "brave citizens supporting a democratically elected president" are not the good guys here. Hitler was democratically elected, and the German military did try to remove him in a coup, too.
      Question is, did we just see a Reichstag's Fire, a July20th 1944, or a Night of the Long Knives? Or a 28 June 1914?
      Well, I guess my question has been answered.
      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Let's hope for our sake and the rest of the world that he pulls a Saddam Hussein and leads with strength by keeping all the threatening groups on their knees. That is the only positive that can come of this.
      Not gonna happen. Nor is it necessary, Turkey was fairly stable - a dictator isn't needed.

- Erdogan is an Islamist, Hussein was a secular Baathist (much like Assad).
      - Erdogan looks the other way while IS runs amok. His only concern is the Kurds.

Erdogan is throwing out a century of secular government and going against everything the Kemalists fought for after the Ottoman Empire fell. Now it's going to be just another Islamic fundamentalist country...

Not gonna happen. Nor is it necessary, Turkey was fairly stable - a dictator isn't needed.

- Erdogan is an Islamist, Hussein was a secular Baathist (much like Assad).
      - Erdogan looks the other way while IS runs amok. His only concern is the Kurds.

Erdogan is throwing out a century of secular government and going against everything the Kemalists fought for after the Ottoman Empire fell. Now it's going to be just another Islamic fundamentalist country...
      The only other 2 fundamentalist countries in existence are our allies, so having another one shouldn't be much of an issue.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      The only other 2 fundamentalist countries in existence are our allies, so having another one shouldn't be much of an issue.
      There are more than two... Iran sure as hell isn't an ally. I suppose the KSA and Pakistan could be considered allies as well as Afghanistan. Mauritania is also an Islamic state. I suppose we're on decent terms with them.

All that being said, I would hope (assume?) that the US and EU would much rather have a secular Turkey.

All that being said, I would hope (assume?) that the US and EU would much rather have a secular Turkey.
      It isn't going to help their tourism trade as being a "European country" did. I enjoyed being there, but seeing places that you visited two weeks later in coup makes you rethink your vacation choices.

There are more than two... Iran sure as hell isn't an ally. I suppose the KSA and Pakistan could be considered allies as well as Afghanistan. Mauritania is also an Islamic state. I suppose we're on decent terms with them.

You're forgetting Israel here. The whole state is found on religious grounds.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      You're forgetting Israel here. The whole state is found on religious grounds.
      but but but it was in the name of Judeo-Christian democracy. Totally different

It isn't going to help their tourism trade as being a "European country" did. I enjoyed being there, but seeing places that you visited two weeks later in coup makes you rethink your vacation choices.
      Anyone relying on tourism is fubarred. I spent two weeks there in 2011, bought a rug in Cappadocia, and hear from the store about once a year who have a travelling salesman, they call when he's in town. This year they flat out said to me they're really struggling because tourism is way down and were offering all kinds of deals. It really was a cool place to go and this is a shame to see happen.

Also we were booking some flights earlier in the year and my wife absolutely refused to fly through Istanbul even though it was one of the better options... I'm sure we are not alone.
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I'm sure we are not alone.
      Honda put out a release stating that any international flights are not to be routed through Istanbul since the coup attempt. I just checked and it's still off limits using Honda dollars.

Really classy... Again, Kemal must be rolling in his grave.

Turkish Government destroys Anzac monument

An inscription honouring the dead at Anzac Cove has been removed by the Turkish Government.

The 1985 Gallipoli monument was supposed to be restored, but now the words welcoming the dead to rest on Turkish soil have disappeared.

Sources in both Australia and Turkey told the Guardian that the motivations for the "restoration" were partly political, and reflected an increasing emphasis on religion throughout history.

Historians in both countries told the Guardian that they expect the finished renovation to leave the memorial markedly different, thanks to efforts from the Turkish government of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The monument previously read: "Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

"Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.

"You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace.

"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

The familiar words, attributed to Turkey's founding father Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, are also inscribed on monuments in Australia and New Zealand.

They've taken on a special place in Anzac mythology, and diplomatic relations with Turkey.

Historians in Australia and Turkey told the Guardian the "refurbishment" could be part of the Erdoğan administration's moves to cast Gallipoli as part of a clash between jihadi defenders and invading crusaders on the shores of Islam.

Professor of history at the University of New South Wales Canberra Peter Stanley said the erasure of the purported Atatürk words reflected a "new theocratic interpretation" of the conflict in Turkey.

"Because the Erdoğan government is in power, Islamists are now in the ascendant - as the new Gaba Tepe interpretative centre [at Gallipoli] shows.

"It depicts Turkey's 86,000 Gallipoli dead as "martyrs", dying in a fight against Christian invaders."

The destruction of the monument was first noticed by a tour guide, who posted a picture on social media.
      source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11878350

Wow. I have stood in front of that monument and shed a tear when I read it. This is really sad.
      The OG Russells is back!

I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.

Turkish government say they are not 'destroying' Gallipoli monument

Probably so much outrage around the world that they are back tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Probably so much outrage around the world that they are back tracking.
      Out comes the super glue.

I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      I got this.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

It almost looks as if it was perhaps vandalised for the material (marble maybe) that was covering it
      The OG Russells is back!

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      It almost looks as if it was perhaps vandalised for the material (marble maybe) that was covering it
      This isn't the act of a vandal. And what is the value of crushed marble? As for refurbishing, recent photos suggest it might have needed a pressure washing at best. That could have been handled by a Turkish Emmet Possum in about 1 hour.

Seeing these photos though shows just how much they have let it go. I was there in June 2011 and the place was beautiful. Nothing but green grass, rosemary bushes, everything was clean. The whole area is WWI cemeteries, some old bunkers, etc. These pictures it's just a dirt mess.
      The OG Russells is back!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast