VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

BUILD THREAD: Ophelia, 1991 GTi 2.0L 16V (for now......)

11K views 110 replies 18 participants last post by  vdub gp 
#1 · (Edited)
BUILD THREAD: Save The 1991 GTi 2.0L 16V

After having to sell my 1984 MK2 R32 4WD project due to import laws, I had to have a "replacement" if you will. Here in this part of Florida MKII Golfs appear to be scarce, so I started loosely looking a while back.
Then, low and behold, I stumbled across her advert. A non runner that needed attention. I have told myself on numerous occasions, rather buy a nice running car that is a good base, with all the mods already done......but no, we can't help ourselves! Perhaps it's the idea of saving a poor MKII from certain death or parting out.

Anyhow, I purchased the car. This is what she looked like when I got her, 1991 GTi 2.0L 16V:

When I first went to look

After purchase, a once over

See less See more
#81 ·
Very happy to say that after several evenings of brainstorming with wires, switches and relays, I have finally got my electric windows working!

My only issue right now, is that the passenger switch on the drivers door, operates the driver window.......
I used the front wiring harness and switches from a 1994 Passat VR6, and because I did not have the electric window module, I opted for 4 x relays.

#82 ·
So I am told that the way the driver window switch is wired, it requires the window module to operate the way it is supposed to.
However, I am sure there must be a way to overcome this, one way or another.

If anyone electrically clued up can shed some light on a way, please let me know, I would love to get it 100% working!

#83 ·
I have sorted out pretty much all the lighting issues the car had, basically nothing worked when I got it.
Only problem I am currently having is that the headlights still don't work. I have swapped out the headlight switch, still nothing. I have a spare harness from the switch to the fusebox to try.
No low beam and no high beam...... only when you pull the high beam on the stalk switch do they come on while holding it, release and they go off.....

This is the only issue stopping me from daily driving the car now :confused:

#84 ·
Finally sorted out the headlight issue.....after trying 2 used headlight switches with no success, I still had a feeling after troubleshooting, that the problem lay with the switch.
So I purchased a brand new one, and BINGO - I now have headlights!

#88 ·
Continuing with the cluster.....

I ordered a set of the chrome rings - decided to only use the two rings, and not the rectangle for the center

Then I decided I wanted something else to make it stand out from the crowds.......This is genuine carbon fiber weave that has a soft resin and 3M backing adhesive

Happy with the look so I proceeded to complete it

Last step will be to change the lighting

#89 ·
This evening I finished wiring up the euro tail lights. Wasn't as difficult as I had expected.
Without too much trouble I had both brake lights working on each tail, as they do on the US tails
One thing I did learn, is don't take for granted that bulbs are OK when you purchase used parts.... couldn't initially get the left side brake lights to work, decided to change the bulb and suddenly it was working!

#90 ·
I like your Mods Vdub GP. Where in florida are you located. I am in Tampa and i picked up an 81 GTI 8V a few months back. I am almost done getting all of the mechanicals
in top order. I definitely can use some of your experience and wisdom when i start working on the interior and body.

#102 · (Edited)
Decided to purchase a set of 17" Falken Torque 5 rims which are 4/100 to use just for now as I don't enjoy the look of the 14" wheels currently on the car.
Two of the tires were bad so I replaced them. Brought them home, jacked the car up, took a rear wheel off, and realized besides needing centering rings I also needed narrow bolts as the shoulder on the stock bolts didn't fit the narrow holes in the wheels :rolleyes:

#110 ·
Thanks, I'll look into it

someone recommended imgur to me, I'm giving it a whirl, hopefully they won't go down the same path as photobucket
I did look at that a while back, will check again

I've been hearing a lot of complaints since PB started charging for services.. Both of your threads are very thorough and great resources. It'd be a shame to have a bunch of dead pics. If all else fails maybe get a couple of large memory cards to store your own pics? That way no one can blackmail you.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
I've seen these same images on a few forums I've been searching....
Appreciate you - Yes I would hate to have those build threads become dead ends! I do have all the pics stored so I don't lose them, would just be a pity to lose all the work in putting the build threads together because they are there to help others

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.