Where have all the ______________ Gone? - Page 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
      Infiniti M30's.

Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      Infiniti M30's.
      A long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      Infiniti M30's.
      I think that in order for something to be gone, it had to exist in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post

I need to scoop one up soon I think.
      I would 100000000000000000% drive this.

I still like the look of these, i never see them anymore though. I definitely haven't seen one with the top down in quite some time.

iirc the crossfire shares the chassis? I see those way more often

Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      To me, this thread is only notable if it involves semi-recent cars that sold in relatively high numbers but seem to all but have disappeared today (IOW not a Phaeton or NSX).

These things sold in 6-figure totals and yet I almost never see them anymore...

My neighbor has one (white) as well as someone at the end of our street (sunburst orange)... but I can honestly say that these are the only two I have a recent memory of seeing. They certainly aren't note worthy, so who knows.

The 2007 Sonata was the car that was supposed to mark a real sea change in Hyundai's presence in NA. The car to finally compete with Toyota and Honda. I suppose that Hyundais have become more acceptable since then, but these things have disappeared entirely from the roads. Especially notable is that they're MIA down here where rust isn't ever a factor in a particular car's disappearance. They're not even that old.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinbeck
      Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      I still like the look of these, i never see them anymore though. I definitely haven't seen one with the top down in quite some time.

All the tops broke and now they are no more. j/k
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Quote Originally Posted by IIsides View Post
      Plymouth Breeze/Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus 95-00....few hundred thousand sold....haven't seen one in years.

glass transmission IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Mazda MX-3

saw one today, reminded me of late 90's when I delivered pizzas...guy I worked with had one with the V6 (super small dispacement IIRC). Neat car.

There's a mint, bone stock, yellow one on three spoke wheels at my work. I've been meaning to take a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      To me, this thread is only notable if it involves semi-recent cars that sold in relatively high numbers but seem to all but have disappeared today (IOW not a Phaeton or NSX).

These things sold in 6-figure totals and yet I almost never see them anymore...

calibarf.jpeg
      I was talking to a Chrysler mechanic a while back (about 4-5 years after they came out) and he told me they were the worst pieces of ****e he's ever had to work on. According to him, suspension bits in all 4 corners starts going after 2-3 years, regardless of how they're driven, CVTs are mushrooms in a hailstorm, and the overall build quality is amongst the worst Chrysler has ever put out. Coupled to a painful resale value, most people probably toss them to the trash when something expensive breaks, which is inevitable.

I still see some once in a while, and they never seem very rusted compared to other cars of its vintage, but they are far and few in between.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

40 Year Old Madonna Fan patrikman's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      I was talking to a Chrysler mechanic a while back (about 4-5 years after they came out) and he told me they were the worst pieces of ****e he's ever had to work on. According to him, suspension bits in all 4 corners starts going after 2-3 years, regardless of how they're driven, CVTs are mushrooms in a hailstorm, and the overall build quality is amongst the worst Chrysler has ever put out. Coupled to a painful resale value, most people probably toss them to the trash when something expensive breaks, which is inevitable.

I still see some once in a while, and they never seem very rusted compared to other cars of its vintage, but they are far and few in between.
      One tried to kill Jett Daley.
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      One tried to kill Jett Daley.
      had to look this person up and all I found was a vortex link

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...re-all-invited
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      There's a mint, bone stock, yellow one on three spoke wheels at my work. I've been meaning to take a picture of it.
      Those OEM 3 spoke, from the S-class? Hoping they are Advans but thats a reach

I wouldn't mind one with all of the top and motors removed with a F20C.. I bet it wouldn't be hard to get it to 2500 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      All the tops broke and now they are no more. j/k
      I was actually wondering if that might be the case

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      The 2007 Sonata was the car that was supposed to mark a real sea change in Hyundai's presence in NA. The car to finally compete with Toyota and Honda. I suppose that Hyundais have become more acceptable since then, but these things have disappeared entirely from the roads. Especially notable is that they're MIA down here where rust isn't ever a factor in a particular car's disappearance. They're not even that old.

I still see some of those getting along in the Midwest, I think the Elantra has survived longer though

this was the "game changer" before the Sonata, I haven't seen an XG in a long time

Last edited by BluMagic; 04-24-2017 at 09:42 AM.

I'm not sure if there as a thread on it or not. But it happened.
      Why does a guy trying to shove a water bottle up his ass have anything to do with the Bay area and helping it sustain itsel.....wait nevermind.

Those OEM 3 spoke, from the S-class? Hoping they are Advans but thats a reach
      Nah, your typical 90's three spoke wheel.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      saw one today, reminded me of late 90's when I delivered pizzas...guy I worked with had one with the V6 (super small dispacement IIRC). Neat car.
      It was a 130 hp 1.8 liter V6 closely related to the 2.5 and was, I believe, a fairly direct swap. I can tell you that they ate cams/lifters semi regularly and that the back head was a bitch to do. No, I didn't have one, but my nephew did. It was a fun car and if I remember correctly that was the only real failure in the 2 or so years he had it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Ugh, I was the first person to respond to that and I posted a pro Sens post. Now the Sens beat my Bruins last night and that son of a bitch Jett's cousin is on the Sens
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It was a 130 hp 1.8 liter V6 closely related to the 2.5 and was, I believe, a fairly direct swap. I can tell you that they ate cams/lifters semi regularly and that the back head was a bitch to do. No, I didn't have one, but my nephew did. It was a fun car and if I remember correctly that was the only real failure in the 2 or so years he had it.
      Thats the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everything posted so far in this thread is still everywhere in Michigan
      Same in Pennsylvania.

80's and 90's Mazda 626 and 929's. My mom had a '91 626, and it was a great car for a long time. She eventually traded it in (rust is a killer in VT) and got a Civic Del Sol, which is another car I see very rarely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Western PA (currently), Southeastern New England
      ^ Agreed. The W211 population has started to thin out as well (from family members' experience with a 190K mile E320, nothing in particular was going wrong, but the repair bills for gaskets, suspension, etc. were getting to be more than the car's value). They don't rust like the W210 and will run as long as you want them to - or can afford them to.

A few days ago, I started a thread on the 1996-2004 Nissan Pathfinder, which is well-loved but has become very rare in the Northeast. It seems that rust has killed most of these off, though I saw a few after I started that thread.

Lots of 1995+ Explorers and Blazers still on the road, but their predecessors are very, very rare sights. Once again, age, rust, and C4C.

Saw one of these over the weekend:

Quote Originally Posted by teutonicgoodness View Post
      Saw one of these over the weekend:

Calederoo has one, he is up in Rochester I think.

A guy that lives in my hood has a mint '97, he is the original owner. One of these days we are going to swap cars for the day, he is quite fond of my Baja.
      Last edited by patrikman; 05-01-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast