Where have all the ______________ Gone? - Page 3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by trbochrg View Post
      When I was 18 I wanted a 1994 Ford Probe GT (looking back now, I wonder WHY????) or a VW Corrado. Anyhow, $4.50/hour retail employed me couldn't afford either of the then $20K plus price tag so I never got either one. Of the two, I have seen a few Corrado's in the wild (i.e. not at a car show) However, I cannot remember the last time I saw a Ford Probe. Sorry, can't link pictures due to work computer being a jerk, but you guys know what they look like.
      Dude, I saw a Ford Probe a couple weeks ago. First one I had seen in the last 8 - 9 years, easy. Sadly, not a GT. Like you, I wanted one too.

What about Jeep Commander? I have not seen one in a long, long time...and they made those until 2010.

Suzuki ??? I don't see Suzuki cars anymore. It's like they all disappeared, I mean all of them. Since that 2012 Suzuki cars pull-out, all their cars have vanished. It's been years since I've seen a Suzuki esp the Grand Vitara

As far as Ford Probe goes, I remember them being sort-of common in Poland during the late 1990's. I remember being surprised that so many of them are here. I always like these. I saw on the other day, it's been years since I've seen one esp the Probe GT.

VW Corrado/Audi Coupe Quattro didn't see one on the road in at least 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BongTechnician View Post
      Dude, I saw a Ford Probe a couple weeks ago. First one I had seen in the last 8 - 9 years, easy. Sadly, not a GT. Like you, I wanted one too.
      I owned a Probe for several years, so I still keep my eyes open for them out and about. I moved a few weeks ago - someone a few blocks over owns one and parks it on the street, so I see one pretty much every day

Astro vans - those are EVERYWHERE around here, I'm pretty sure an AWD model in black is the official vehicle of Mennonite families.
      Current: 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
      Departed: 2008 Mazda 3 | 1996 Ford Probe | 1986 Ford Mustang GT | 1983 VW GTI

I still see all of those cars, some (incl. a salmon-ish factory coolor Probe) actually parked on my block right now. Ya'll remember this though? I haven't seen a Stratus R/T with the factory wing in a long fk'n time.

I still see older loves such as Karmann Ghias, Bugs, Starions, etc. on a daily basis.

Edit: I haven't seen one of these in a little while, actually.

A guy had one a few blocks from my crib up until, maybe, 4-5 years ago. It was a track car but he parked it on the street. Maybe he still has it, but it's tucked away in a garage. It always caught my eye...he had a paper towel roll blocking the gauge cluster too.
      Last edited by KizashiAGP; 09-30-2016 at 08:04 PM.
      Formally Known As | DTMTrini
      I once pulled an 180 down a rainy street. I turned around and saw...a pebble. It all happened in slow motion, but...I knew it was too late.
      One day, I will rise. RIP 02:13 PM EST 6/7/17

(first gen pre facelift XC90s are all pretty much gone...)

Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Hillary seems to have a nice Astro

Haven't seen an Astro Van in ages, and they were as common as Camry's, not to mention they made these things for 20 years. Suddenly or within recent years they've all vanished.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      I see one of these every day.

I like those wheels better than mine.

Before I bought mine, I had only seen one in real life though and that was overseas.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      Demo derbies or C4C. Same with all B bodies.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by NismoB3 View Post
      Dodge Stealth
      I actually saw one yesterday but thought to myself "That's a car I never see".
      Sure, it been out of production for 20 years, but still.

Buddy of mine keep hoarding them

Previously Owned: 96 Discovery/65 Corvair/93 Corolla Wagon/89 LeSabre/96 Camry/99 Regal GS/95 Accord/98 C-SVT/90 LS400/89 Supra/91 Legacy SS/01 CVPI/92 Mark VII/87 200SX/90 325i/03 TL-S/98 SC2/00 JGC/02 Forester/95 LS400/95 Audi 90/01 Jetta VR6/93 LS400/96 Camry/00 Cavalier/06 Speed6/92 190E/04 Accord/95 & 05 Civic/01 Cavalier/97 Bravada
      Current: 97 Volvo S90+99 Civic

I see most of these cars pretty regularly, aside from the ones that were rare when new like the Phaeton. Here's one I saw just yesterday and it surprised me:

Quote Originally Posted by John Steinbeck
      Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.

Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      I see one of these every day.

I like those wheels better than mine.

Before I bought mine, I had only seen one in real life though and that was overseas.

-Eric

That's awesome If I ever saw a W12 Phaeton I'd stop and snap a picture, I've seen more Aventadors than Phaetons of any kind I think...

I loved those VW halo cars, the W12 Phaeton, the W8 Passat, and the V10 TDI Touareg (in that order too! )

According to my former mechanic (who worked for VW/Audi) there were fairly solid plans to branch off some VW dealerships and have ones that sold only Phaetons, T-Regs, and W8 Passats, I'm guessing so when you service your W12 you wouldn't face the travesty of sitting in the same lounge as a peasant with a 2.0 Jetta
      What just cause Im new.

That's awesome If I ever saw a W12 Phaeton I'd stop and snap a picture, I've seen more Aventadors than Phaetons of any kind I think...

I loved those VW halo cars, the W12 Phaeton, the W8 Passat, and the V10 TDI Touareg (in that order too! )

According to my former mechanic (who worked for VW/Audi) there were fairly solid plans to branch off some VW dealerships and have ones that sold only Phaetons, T-Regs, and W8 Passats, I'm guessing so when you service your W12 you wouldn't face the travesty of sitting in the same lounge as a peasant with a 2.0 Jetta
      I don't mind sitting with Jetta owners.

One time, a young lady was picking up her Phaeton when I was picking mine up.

There was a W8 Passat wagon on eBay a few months ago.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by NismoB3 View Post
      Dodge Stealth
      I actually saw one yesterday but thought to myself "That's a car I never see".
      Sure, it been out of production for 20 years, but still.

I saw a 3000 GT a few days ago, does that count? It was a base model, not the VR4. It was parked at In-N-Out and the driver said it was his dad's and it was for sale.

There was a 3000 GT VR4 at my old apartment complex also, but that was 4 years ago. I have no idea if it's still there.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      You really need to ask where all the copies of a 25-35 year old family car that was obsolete when new and built using 40 year old technology went?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownStarfish View Post
      Hillary seems to have a nice Astro

That's actually an Express van, the full sized model.

Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Also, *looks at OP's name*
      He's very good
      15 GTI SE 6MT DBP 4 Door - Individual Driving Mode - Carbon Exhaust Buildup Mod - 78%N/21%O/1%Various Intake - Rear Cosco Booster Seat - Bridgestone All Seasons - Hair Ties/Bobby Pin Collector
      96 XJ Mall Cruiser - 0" Lift - 29" Goodyears on 15" Alloys - Lemon Air Refresher

(first gen pre facelift XC90s are all pretty much gone...)

These are all cars you should see a lot in TO.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Yes, up until a few years ago..and I'm talking maybe 2011-2013. All the first gen (I'm talking pre facelift) XC90s have been replaced by XC60s or newer XC90s it seems and they're really not common at all anymore. I only notice because my girlfriend has one and I try to look out for ones that have fogged up headlights (seeing as how I cleaned the ones on hers and they're crystal clear now as opposed to others ) and I'm having a tough time spotting any. There was a time when every soccermom and their sister had one, I know...

The Routan, also very popular when it came out, now it seems owners have moved onto newer Dodge Caravans that are going for chump change, or any other lease special deal. Seriously, I haven't seen one Routan this year and maybe a handful last...Knowing me I'll spot 10 tomorrow (It's weird, I'll go months without seeing something interesting then in one day I'll spot three Maybach 62s, or a Mulsanne and some insane pink Aventador or something..

The Phaetons were already rare so maybe I shouldn't have posted those, and I think any 2000-2003 MPV have literally rotted out.
      What just cause Im new.

I haven't seen a mk3 Golf (or Jetta for that natter) in a long time now. It's kinda sad cause I liked them a lot, and I had one as my first car. I guess rust and electric 'maintenance' became to costly to keep them alive.

Also, I find this strange, but the Nissan Versa sedan sold by the ton over here, given their price and value. I literally don't even see any of them anymore and they've only been around for, what, 5 years?

And the previous gen Nissan Versa hatch even less. Did these things die very premature deaths? Or were they just all involved in cell phone distraction-related accidents?

Last edited by worth_fixing; 10-02-2016 at 08:34 AM.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      And the previous gen Nissan Versa hatch even less. Did these things die very premature deaths? Or were they just all involved in cell phone distraction-related accidents?

There's one parked right in front of my place as I'm typing this. You must be living in a nice neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Man View Post
      There's one parked right in front of my place as I'm typing this. You must be living in a nice neighbourhood.
      Not really. I drive everywhere in and around the city, and spend a lot of time in the south shore. I see a ton of Sentras, Versa Notes & Micras, but the Versa hatches & sedans...I can't remember the last time I saw one.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post

During the last couple of summers, there was a Checker Marathon that I'd see every few weeks trolling around the neighborhood. Rusty, brush-and-roller paint job, running richer than a burning Kuwaiti oil field, but still out on the road.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      I haven't seen a mk3 Golf (or Jetta for that natter) in a long time now. It's kinda sad cause I liked them a lot, and I had one as my first car. I guess rust and electric 'maintenance' became to costly to keep them alive.

That's what killed mine.

A guy in his mid-50s at work has one, bought it for a cheap ****box to commute in. Other than work, he says it sits and they use his wife's newer Buick the rest of the time.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Western PA (currently), Southeastern New England
      Another one - the Saturn Ion, especially pre-facelift. A car nobody cared about, so I guess nobody cared to fix them when they broke.

Western PA (currently), Southeastern New England
      I also can't remember the last time I saw an Infiniti Q45 (no, that's not an LS430, Montego, or Lucerne).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast