Where have all the ______________ Gone? - Page 4
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to VWvortex - The Volkswagen Enthusiast Website.
    You're currently browsing VWvortex site as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation. VWvortex has over 750,000+ registered users discussing a wide variety of Volkswagen related topics. Take a minute to sign up to enjoy all the features of VWvortex.
    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Obsession View Post
      Another one - the Saturn Ion, especially pre-facelift. A car nobody cared about, so I guess nobody cared to fix them when they broke.

I see one of these almost every day. Same color, even. My daughter drives it. 250,000 miles and still runs like a top. She changes the oil every "when I think about it".

< Dan >

B5 Audi 1.8t

Manual shift + manual transfer case

Am I doing it right?

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutandthrust View Post
      Haven't seen an Astro Van in ages, and they were as common as Camry's, not to mention they made these things for 20 years. Suddenly or within recent years they've all vanished.

They're pretty easy to find in Southern Ontario. Just go to any Wal-Mart. Same with Aerostars. I believe being 60 pounds overweight and driving an Astro or Aerostar are prerequisites to shopping at Wal-Mart.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Demo derbies or C4C. Same with all B bodies.
      This ZL1 Swapped caprice coupe "landau" would like to have a word with u

Last edited by ImpeccableNEW; 10-04-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      You really need to ask where all the copies of a 25-35 year old family car that was obsolete when new and built using 40 year old technology went?
      HMMM can't believe I'm defending an old GM butttttt.....

the Caprice/Impala was groundbreaking when introduced in 1977 first downsized sedan that actually worked , interior was as big as its super barge predecessor except in shoulder room= innovation

These have virtually vanished:

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

You really need to ask where all the copies of a 25-35 year old family car that was obsolete when new and built using 40 year old technology went?
      ImpeccableNEW is correct. They were groundbreaking when they came out. Pretty much everything on them was new except the engine. Chevy basically started with a clean sheet of paper on them. (Other divisions badge engineered their own versions also.)

They were full sized cars that were smaller outside than competitor's mid-sized cars.

The new 1977 Chevrolets were the first sedans (besides Cadillac Fleetwood Limos) I actually liked and could imagine buying new.

Chevy did keep them around a long time. The frame was also carried over to the next generation, many of which became NYC taxis when Checker went out of business.

I don't know what you are referring to when you say "40 year old technology". There's a lot of 100 + year old tech being used on new cars now.

Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      They're pretty easy to find in Southern Ontario. Just go to any Wal-Mart. Same with Aerostars. I believe being 60 pounds overweight and driving an Astro or Aerostar are prerequisites to shopping at Wal-Mart.
      Hey I'm only 35 lbs overweight and I drive a Volvo. And I shop at Walmart because Piggly Wiggly is overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      This ZL1 Swapped caprice coupe "landau" would like to have a word with u
      ]
      I was going to mention Donks but that's more of a G body thing.

the Caprice/Impala was groundbreaking when introduced in 1977 first downsized sedan that actually worked , interior was as big as its super barge predecessor except in shoulder room= innovation
      ]
      Actually, you are correct. Given the garbage that the big 3 were churning out from 1974-1982, the B bodies were some of the best cars around, and I respect them for that
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Mx3 Precidia, they used to be all over the place, and least in my area. Havent seen one in years...

Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      I haven't seen a mk3 Golf (or Jetta for that natter) in a long time now. It's kinda sad cause I liked them a lot, and I had one as my first car. I guess rust and electric 'maintenance' became to costly to keep them alive.

Also, I find this strange, but the Nissan Versa sedan sold by the ton over here, given their price and value. I literally don't even see any of them anymore and they've only been around for, what, 5 years?

And the previous gen Nissan Versa hatch even less. Did these things die very premature deaths? Or were they just all involved in cell phone distraction-related accidents?

So weird how you posted this lol. I went to Iowa back in August and the only car they had at Avis was that exact red Versa sedan it was the most depressing trip

Even weirder is that my girlfriend has that previous gen Sentra hatch but in sky blue...I need to show her your comment about the distraction related accidents because she's had a couple in that car

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      Am I doing it right?

i LOL'd

Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      ImpeccableNEW is correct...

...I don't know what you are referring to when you say "40 year old technology". There's a lot of 100 + year old tech being used on new cars now.

I was obviously sensationalizing a bit, but when I said "obsolete when new" I was referring to the last batch of them i.e. early 90s models that are the most likely to have survived this long. When people were out buying FWD unibody 4 cylinder minivans in droves, an enormous body-on-frame carbureted V8 powered station wagon was pretty obsolete, even if it was innovative when it came out. "40 year old technology" was from the perspective of today, as in 2016-1977 = 39 years. Few people today drive cars from the 80's, let alone the 70's, so acting surprised to not see any anymore is a bit silly.

I was obviously sensationalizing a bit, but when I said "obsolete when new" I was referring to the last batch of them i.e. early 90s models that are the most likely to have survived this long. When people were out buying FWD unibody 4 cylinder minivans in droves, an enormous body-on-frame carbureted V8 powered station wagon was pretty obsolete, even if it was innovative when it came out. "40 year old technology" was from the perspective of today, as in 2016-1977 = 39 years. Few people today drive cars from the 80's, let alone the 70's, so acting surprised to not see any anymore is a bit silly.
      It's amazing to think both of these cars were MY 1990:

Now, I know they weren't remotely competitors. But it shows just how different the new technowiz car was from the old dinosaur still in production.

OK, I understand now. I thought when you wrote "new" you meant when they came out, not the last of the line.

Sorta like saying a new Checker Marathon was built using obsolete technology. You are referring to the 1982 version, but I am thinking of the 1960 version.

My daily driver is a 1977 Ford LTD II, so some people do drive old cars. I bought it in Las Vegas and drove to SLC. It's been on many road trips to visit my family for holidays.

Fun fact - the cool Torino turned into the overweight Grand Torino which became the LTD II. My '77 LTD II is precisely the car that Ford advertised as being midsized but larger than the '77 Chevy full size. I'd much rather have a '77 Chevy but needed a car that was cheap. My first set of tires cost more than the whole car.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      It's amazing to think both of these cars were MY 1990:

Now, I know they weren't remotely competitors. But it shows just how different the new technowiz car was from the old dinosaur still in production.
      What's even more amazing is that the Honda NSX is now considered a dinosaur.

Yes, I know it was marketed as an Acura here, but I think that's one with a Honda badge (based on the license plate).

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Mmmmmmm... I wouldn't say "dinosaur", but it is certainly dated now.

It's just about the epitome of engineering for its time and price point. I honestly think I'd take one over most new cars in its class.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

It's a dinosaur in that it is a high-end sports car with an NA v6, but I think the overall design has held up remarkably well to the test of time. I can see perfect examples getting bid into the stratosphere at Pebble Beach circa 2035.

My '77 LTD II is precisely the car that Ford advertised as being midsized but larger than the '77 Chevy full size.
      (They also said the LTD was larger, but take a look at the chart that shows the wheelbase comparison):

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      It's a dinosaur in that it is a high-end sports car with an NA v6, but I think the overall design has held up remarkably well to the test of time. I can see perfect examples getting bid into the stratosphere at Pebble Beach circa 2035.
      You are no doubt correct about future auction prices, but the V6 was considered a risky choice when the NSX was introduced.

That's when other supercars had V12s or at least V8s. That was a game changer for supercars. That's the most cutting edge feature of it. Other supercar makers haven't even dared try a V6 yet.

The NSX was designed not to compete with sports cars, but with supercars. The V6 was a game changer and still is. Honda set out to prove they could build a supercar to compete with the best that was reliable to drive every day and they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Mmmmmmm... I wouldn't say "dinosaur", but it is certainly dated now.

It's just about the epitome of engineering for its time and price point. I honestly think I'd take one over most new cars in its class.
      Me too. It's pretty much the only Honda I have lusted after. Not feeling the current redesign.

Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      You are no doubt correct about future auction prices, but the V6 was considered a risky choice when the NSX was introduced.

That's when other supercars had V12s or at least V8s. That was a game changer for supercars. That's the most cutting edge feature of it. Other supercar makers haven't even dared try a V6 yet.

The NSX was designed not to compete with sports cars, but with supercars. The V6 was a game changer and still is. Honda set out to prove they could build a supercar to compete with the best that was reliable to drive every day and they did.
      Well, there was one other car it competed with that had a 6 cylinder engine, both turbo and normally aspirated. Not a V6, mind you. *cough911cough*

Me too. It's pretty much the only Honda I have lusted after. Not feeling the current redesign.
      Yeah, most of the new high-powered sports cars/hypercars don't do it for me, either. I would absolutely love an old NSX, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      See also:

I knew I liked you.

On topic, I saw a pretty clean Dodge Daytona today-I hadn't seen one in what feels like a decade.

Its been years since I've seen a Ford Probe, MN12 Cougar, K-car, Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Duster, Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim, Dodge Dynasty, first gen Neon...None of those were necessarily great cars anyone would want to hold on to, but I feel like they used to be everywhere and then I just stopped seeing them, period.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast